C4 Forums | Control4

dimmer not turning off completely???

all,

has anyone had a dimmer (ldz-101) fail this way???

- when I turn it on my christmas lights get bright

- when I turn it off my lights get dim but don't shut off.  The feedback tells me it's off and the led on the switch itself is changing.

It's almost like the mechanism inside the switch isn't fully cutting power to the outlet it's wired in between.

Thanks everyone!

Nothing wrong with your dimmer. Your wattage is too low....

Dimmer do NOT cut power completely when off, they create a max resistance. If your load's wattage is not above the minimum rating, the 'leak' is enough to surpass the resistance of your load, thus turning the load on.

Nothing wrong with your dimmer. Your wattage is too low....
Dimmer do NOT cut power completely when off, they create a max resistance. If your load's wattage is not above the minimum rating, the 'leak' is enough to surpass the resistance of your load, thus turning the load on.
So my idea to use that outlet this winter to plug my diesel pickup into to warm the engine block might not be a good idea. If it doesn't shut off completely it could damage my heater.

Any ideas on how I could make that work? Do I need a wireless switch instead of the dimmer?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This is why outlets shouldn’t be dimmed. And if they are, then ONLY lighting should be plugged into them. DO NOT plug a heater in - that could be dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to use it for a dual purpose since it's my only outside outlet. Due to my schedule changes I was looking for a dynamic way to warm my engine block heater an hour before I needed to leave for work.

I was going to use it for a dual purpose since it's my only outside outlet. Due to my schedule changes I was looking for a dynamic way to warm my engine block heater an hour before I needed to leave for work.

Make it a switch and not a dimmer and you’ll be fine.

Make it a switch and not a dimmer and you’ll be fine.

I moved some things around and I used a c4outlet switch (non-dimming) and I am functional until I can get my C4-sw120277 ordered and installed.

Thanks everyone for the help

Archived