C4 Forums | Control4

iTouch/iPhone My House 2.0 released with Rhapsody control

Be aware that because of the lighting changes, all your dimmers will need to be updated, so they'll flicker each, one at a time, and your lights may go off (one at a time) while they're updating.

It takes 2-3 minutes average each to update, so if you have a lot of lights, it could be a while.

RyanE

Be aware that because of the lighting changes, all your dimmers will need to be updated, so they'll flicker each, one at a time, and your lights may go off (one at a time) while they're updating.

It takes 2-3 minutes average each to update, so if you have a lot of lights, it could be a while.

RyanE

No lights, never went that direction - some this summer though.

OK - this is the coolest thing ever - I thought it might be slow, but it works faster than my remotes????? Pulling up cover art on my 777's, and all my music 30,000 songs and Rhapsody - seriously, this is the coolest thing ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read some of the reviews on this app on the app store and I was amazed to see some of the same crap on this site. How some people think that they are basically going to get a remote and touchscreen all on their phone without paying $300 for it is amazing. The freakin touchscreen is $2000 and a remote is $250 and if you are anything like me you don't/can't carry your touchsceen around in your pocket and have it on you all the time. This is a hell of a deal.

The other complaint that I saw on their reviews was that people were pissed that they can't get the app to work without any home automation equipment what so ever. I mean are you kidding me. How retarded are you. Yeh, just download the app and a little green leprechaun is going to jump out and turn your lights off for you. How much money do you think this app costs to make? I guarantee it's not cheap not to mention that the app isn't even made by C4. So you want C4 to pay somone a ton of money to design the app but then bitch when you have to pay for it. Some people truly freakin amaze me.

I think lighting is my wife's favorite feature.

Pretty sure it's the one that gets used the most, and definitely one of my favorites, too.

RyanE

Lighting is my wife's favorite feature as well. We have every culdesac in the house setup so that double clicking on the first switch will turn off everything in the culdesac. Great feature.

I think he means every part of the house that you can only go in or out of one way...

i.e. down this hall, all of the bedrooms may be turned off with this one button press.

Or, coming up from the basement, you can turn off all the basement lights with this button, etc.

RyanE

Ryan has it right.

For example, our master suite has:

3 lights and 1 fan in the main room

1 light and 1 fan on the deck

1 light in the closet

3 lights and 2 fans in the master bath

There is only 1 way in/out of the master suite, thus it is a culdesac. We have the first dimmer switch setup so that if you 2click off, it kills all 12 loads in the master suite. The master bath is a culdesac within a culdesac, so it is setup with it's own 2click as well.

Throughout the home, we have all culdesac's setup with 2click's.

All the bedrooms, the garage, the upstairs, the downstairs, the basement, etc. We also have the last switch leading in the master suite setup with a 2click to kill the entire home, except for the bedrooms and master suite. At the end of the day when we go into our room, we kill every light in the home except those in the bedrooms.

• 2 months later...

The Eric Smith of Control4 said of the Iphone/ITouch "all you have to do is download the application off the web, and it works with your system, there's no configuration, no setup, it just basically works and does everything our touchscreens do......"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_AGAtT2U5U

THE APP is FREE,

so what is with the $300 setup you guys are talking about? is the Control4 marketing guy lying? please watch the youtube video,

I think the 'no setup, no configuration' is referring to the fact that it works like a Control4 navigator, in that you don't have to design screens, do setup, etc.

Once it's installed, it just works.

As far as the cost, the app is free to download, but requires a 'Mobile Navigator' license on the Control4 system, which you can purchase from a Control4 dealer.

RyanE

Has anyone else found the way to change rooms hard to use? In the demo it shows a list that you pick the room you want to go to. However, when I had the mobile navigator installed and connected for the first time, I found that a rolling list of rooms appeared at the lower left of the screen and it is a b**** to even get it to scroll, let alone pick a room to go to.

I am using an old non 3G iPhone but I don't think that the application would be different because of that. Would it??

2nd question.... I will have to install an access point in the basement for better (any on the iphone) wifi coverage. Considering the Netgear WG102 with PoE. Anyone have experience with this one???

2nd question.... I will have to install an access point in the basement for better (any on the iphone) wifi coverage. Considering the Netgear WG102 with PoE. Anyone have experience with this one???

The WG102 is a great choice but are you looking for complete coverage with just this AP?

That is what I do. The screen shot I included in my 1st post is what shows up on the screen to change the room.

In the lower left, under the room selected and done area, is what looks like a blank white area. This is where you have to scroll to the next room you wish to go to and select the same. In trying to finger scroll to the other room it is very flaky. Not much room to scroll to begin with, and then the room you want to go to shows and then disappears at will it seems. You accidentally select the wrong room etc.

Is this how yours works???

Controlfouruserguy...

No I already have a wireless router and it covers the main and second floor of my house. The router is on the second floor.

It however is tough to get a signal when in my bar area in the basement, or outside on the decks. My laptop usually gets a signal, although low, in the basement but the iPhone is another case.

I want to increase the signal to my laptop and get a signal to the iPhone with the WG102 when in the bar and hopefully outside as well. I can play with the placement as my bar has partial drop ceiling and I can take advantage of the PoE to place it closer to the outside wall etc.

Just an FYI on iPod / iPhone

I have the original 2G Apple iPhone and just started a 30 day trial to see how it works as a touch screen controller.

I went to AT&T today as I am thinking of going to the new 3G S iPhone just released.

My question to them was if I took the sim card out of my old 2g iPhone would it still work as an iPod / C4 controller.

His immediate thought was no.

BUT... we tried it and it said there was no sim but all the other functions worked. You just lose cell phone functions.

I then went home and powered down my iPhone, took out the sim card and powered it back up. Of course I got the no sim card message

but every thing else worked. I was able to connect to the wifi network, and control4 system. iPod features worked and so did the internet, etc.

SOOOOO... if you have and old iPhone it can still be used as a touch screen controller if you upgrade a new iPhone and move the sim card over.

(BIG NOTE BEFORE TRYING THIS I HAD DOWNLOADED AND INSTALLED 3.0 VERSION OF SOFTWARE JUST RELEASED YESTERDAY)

Sort of like getting a free touch screen device ... :D:D

Sort of like getting a free touch screen device ... :D:D

So do you know where you can pick these up free? Maybe that is why you put "sort of", because it isn't free at all LOL! You had to buy the iPhone, didn't you?

Archived