C4 Forums | Control4

Dish Hopper Changing MAC addess

JSTRONG

Does anyone have a problem with The hopper 3 changing MAC address? 

Composer was connected using SDDP for weeks, then today C4 was unable to control it and I noticed composer was connected using an incorrect mac address. I disconnected it then reconnected it using the correct mac address, but I am trying to figure out how this happened.

That doesn't really make sense.  A MAC address is typically a static address associated with a physical network interface.  Are you talking about the IP address changing? If you don't have it configured as a static IP,  it can (and will) change periodically.  The best way to handle this is to configure a DHCP reservation on your router (or whatever you have that handles DHCP).  This effectively "locks" the IP address to the MAC address of the Hopper which prevents it from changing (unless you physically get a new Hopper which will have a new MAC address).

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I was talking about the MAC address on the hopper. I agree doesn't make sense. When it was first configured it was picked up as an available SDDP device in composer as a different MAC address as it shows now. Something happened after the dish tech added a Joey but as I understand, the hopper provides the required network connection for the Joey and its not connected to the home network directly. 

• 2 years later...

This is happening to me....ETHO and MoCA have two different MACs.  I have tried both MACs with DHCP reservation and it bounces around when it will key on one or the other.  Any ideas?  SDDP was taking a long time to reconnect, so I went to a fixed IP on Control4 side and set DHCP reservation on my router.  However...we can reboot the router and or Dish Hopper and watch it grab one MAC first and next time another MAC?  There is only one ethernet cable connected to the Hopper and nothing else has a wireless or wired connection.

It is also doing randomly when no power loss (if the DISH Box shuts off?)...very weird.has worked fine for a while...this seems now..but can tell these posts are older.

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.