C4 Forums | Control4

Fan Controller Wiring help

isight

Was hoping for some advice on wiring my fan controller. I have a paddle type ceiling fan with a pull chain. At my gang box, there are only 2 wires coming to a switch. I don't have a neutral. Can I wire this the same way you would wire an ADP that has no neutral? Or do I need to physically have a neutral run up to my fan?

Can you clarify what wires are in the switch box itself?  I assume you have Switched LOAD and NEUTRAL wires running from the switch box to the fan.  Do you also have a LOAD, NEUTRAL and GROUND coming from your breaker into the switch box?  

First of all NO!!!! you cannot wire a fan controller without a neutral.

You'll have to map how the fan is controlled now more clearly.

Is all you have a single wires with two conductors (plus a neutral) and both are going to a regular switch? If so, you may have a problem because the powerfeed is at the box.

In general though....I don't like saying this but you may have to get and electrician involved here. The picture faily crealy indicated you do have a neutral load etc....you may be in over your head. And electricity can kill.

Proceed at your own risk here, but:

The 4 black wires that are twisted together are the Black Line In / Hot leads.

The 4 white wires that are twisted together are the White Neutral in.

The bare copper wires in back that are twisted together are the ground.

And whichever black wire runs to your fan is the lead for the RED wire coming off the fan switch.

20 minutes ago, isight said:

Thanks, appreciate it. I'm new to this (as you can tell lol), I'll have an electrician look at it just to make sure I'm being safe. Thanks guys 

It indeed looks like you should be fine to use the fan controller, but if this isn't your thing, getting an electrician involved (even if it's a friend for advice or to do it) is the wise choice.

No offense meant at all, it is purely a safety concern.

43 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

It indeed looks like you should be fine to use the fan controller, but if this isn't your thing, getting an electrician involved (even if it's a friend for advice or to do it) is the wise choice.

No offense meant at all, it is purely a safety concern.

Completely understood, no offense taken. Better safe than sorry!

Archived