C4 Forums | Control4

Consumer level sound proofing material?

Hi, I'm looking for sound proofing material that is relatively inexpensive and can be used to line the inside of a cabinet where a noisy NVR has been moved.

Reference thread:  

We ended up moving the NVR to a cabinet in our family room that is serving as a "secondary" rack that contains some other components.  The noise is much reduced because the cabinet is kept closed, but if there's no talking going on in the family room or if the TV or music is not on, then one can hear the faint hum in the background.

So, I'd like to find something (maybe at Lowe's or Home Depot, or Amazon) that I can use to line the inside of the cabinet doors to further lessen the noise.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Ten years ago I called up a TV studio in Vancouver and just asked them.
They directed me to a company which also did the stages/costumes for movies and they had such noise reducing foam.

Also remember if you are putting your equipment inside a closed cabinet and further reducing sound with insulation, you most likely will be creating an issue of overheating for your equipment.  

Yeah, I think the NVR is the only thing in this cabinet that generates any considerable amount of heat, and the cabinet is not completely sealed off, so I think there's enough ventilation to allow that heat to escape

Sealing up the cracks/openings in the cabinet is the only way to keep the noise from coming out. Adding soundproofing will not make a substantial difference as long as you have openings in the cabinet. Your best bet is to disassemble the NVR and replace the fans with something quieter.

For me personally, I wouldn’t worry about the warranty.  It’s now against the law for “stickers being broken” to void the warranty, and your NVR probably doesn’t even have a “warranty void if broken sticker.”. And if you do have a problem, just put the stock fans back in and send it in for warranty.

Closing off all of the airflow to the cabinet is the most likely thing to make the NVR fail. I definitely would not do that unless you have a huge volume of space inside the cabinet.

Yeah, it's a very large space inside the cabinet, so there is a lot of room for air to flow.  Also, the sound proofing is to just further minimize the noise; I realize I won't get rid of it all, especially with some seams still allowing noise to escape remaining unblocked

1 hour ago, pinkoos said:

Replacing the fans is not an option as this is a brand new NVR and as soon as I do that, any kind of warranty is voided; so, that is not an option for me in this situation

I think we have covered this in your 3 other threads on the same topic. If the NVR is making noise get your dealer to fix it by either fixing the fan or swapping the unit.

2 minutes ago, Pounce said:

I think we have covered this in your 3 other threads on the same topic. If the NVR is making noise get your dealer to fix it by either fixing the fan or swapping the unit.

Not sure why you're so angry all the time, but I am asking a different question in this thread - I'm looking for recs for soundproofing material.  If you don't want to answer my actual question, I really don't see any need for you to respond at all (in this thread or any of my future threads), thanks

49 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

Not sure why you're so angry all the time, but I am asking a different question in this thread - I'm looking for recs for soundproofing material.  If you don't want to answer my actual question, I really don't see any need for you to respond at all (in this thread or any of my future threads), thanks

What makes you think I am angry? I'm being direct. Big difference. You appear to be moving your problem around. You have a poor product that makes a lot of noise. You didn't pick this product. Your dealer did. You are not happy with this product because it makes a lot of noise. It's a bigger noise problem because your equipment cabinet door doesn't shut because it wasn't designed to have air flow and you have to leave the door open. Since you don't seem to want to actually fix the NVR noise issue you have moved it from the equipment closet to a living space cabinet. Now you have a noise issue in your living space and you want to reduce the noise by adding insulation which would likely lead to a heat problem since the only real way to reduce noise is to eliminate air gaps. It really looks like you are moving your problem around where the solution is to get your dealer to fix the NVR under warranty. It's also been stated that you can replace your fan without voiding the warranty if you don't want to get your dealer to do it. Open it up and take some photos if you are unsure about how to replace the fan. I'm sure that a majority of the participants of this forum can look and tell you what you need.

You might not like hearing it, but I'm fairly certain I'm just calling out the obvious.

Archived