C4 Forums | Control4

Sending All My 9150's Back

sjj31a

Sorry for making a new post but. I have spent the day playing with this thing and I am sticking with the EVA8000. The buffering thing is driving me nuts. I spent 2 hours on the phone with Tech support and my network is iron clad (I can easily run 3 or 4 streams simulatenously with my 6 - 8000's, I have stressed it to 6 and it worked). I can't even get 2 - 9000's to work together and the performance of 1 is spotty. Looks like I'm having to take my for sale sign down and refund some money, sorry. PS these were all standard DVD ISO's so nothing complex either. The 8000 with firmware up to date is my choice.

I just researched buy.com's return policy and it looks like they will ding me 15% for returning it in an opened box.

I am banking on other good reviews I have read and hoping you (no offense) are having some funky problem I won't experience. I am really excited about this thing.

EDIT: I didn't see your last post when I posted mine. They will hit you at 15% per item. That's $300. You could probably sell them on here for $375 shipped...just a thought.

when you say you can't get two to work together, what do you mean? I only tried a couple of dvd's but it seemed to have no trouble at all. I had an issue with the hdmi out with .wmv but that might be a problem unrelated to the netgear. might be worth it to return now or sell, and then if and when a new firmware comes out, you could repurchase if need be.

tum

Correct. Currently I can stream 6 8000's simultaneously off the same NAS (not that I need that but certainly 2 or 3 is great). The 9150's puke when 2 hit the NAS at the same time which is the whole purpose of using these for flexibility (ie don't have to worry about conflicts like a DVD player)

I should also clarify the 9150's may be better but I could notice no difference to the 8000 for my applications (ie iso's I had problems with still had problems vs. my popcorn hour which play fine). I would have thought the hard drive would have solved buffering problems not add more.

wow, that's very weird. Going from 6 streams down to 2 is a major drawback. I wonder what the 9150 is doing differently? Jumbo packets enabled on both sides? Access via CIFS? Any packet loss to the 9150s? (not to NAS)

I like its functionality not just for movies/cover art but – you tube, pictures, photos, weather… I am a huge movie fan, so cover art and movie selection is the main reason why I purchased mine. The 9150 does come out of the box default with some retarded settings enabled, so anyone purchasing the unit go around and disable/enable settings that don’t really apply to you. So far I like the unit, does match up to my PCH. I didn’t like the 8000 so much, but the 9150 definitely met my expectations.

Matt, what settings are you referring too?

I have mine setup and like it so far, but I haven't used it much. I got it to be a cost effective blueray distribution source, and to ultimately replace my sony dvd changer.

I understand "it's working with the EVA8000", however, there's no mention of what the setup is for others to try and recreate.

Are the devices wired or wireless? I know the EVA9150 supports 802.11n so maybe you need to eliminate that protocol if you're using it.

What is the NAS? What protocol is being used?

What is your access point or switch?

I don't doubt you're having problems, however, share details so others can compare results.

Archived