C4 Forums | Control4

Basic SetUp Question for Audio with C4

Rori

I am planning a C4 system and I would sincerely appreciate your input to questions as follow.

1. For zones with C4 controlled audio and video, should the audio (stereo) associated with the video sources (TV, TIVO, etc) be routed thru the speakers in the display or ceiling speakers. I understand the better quality of the inceiling speakers and the video-audio divergence when video comes from display and audio comes from ceiling. My question is...what is best or standard practice? Is it possible to easily switch the audio from one speaker set (display) to inceilings as desired on the fly so to speak? If so, would you suggest planning for this option?

2. I plan to have the following:

one surround zone in media room (audio and video)

three zones with audio only (stereo)

five zones of both audio (stereo) and video

Dealer suggests C4 amp, A/V matrix (8x8), two HC300 controllers (only 2 -3 adults at home). I am getting several remotes, a touch panel, some lighting, garage door and alarm integration.

Just want to verify that with this setup is adequate and I would be able to access all video and audio sources at all corresponding locations including DVD feed/audio from media rm.

Thanks very much in advance for any comments/thoughts on this!

I personally would use the in-ceiling speakers, that way you dont have to have the TV on to listen to music or hear announcment agents. Besides, as you stated, most tv speakers are less than stellar. Everything else sounds good.

Run your audio through your ceiling speakers. My LV guy installed a LPad and mode switch beacuse I thought I'd use the panel speakers but that hasn't been the case. As already mentioned, you need the amp and speakers always available in case you do announcements (which I don't find all that useful but you may).

Your set-up is what I have exactly. I will stop there. Make sure your dealer is someone who you feel is competent and will address problems promptly.

I am planning a C4 system and I would sincerely appreciate your input to questions as follow.

1. For zones with C4 controlled audio and video, should the audio (stereo) associated with the video sources (TV, TIVO, etc) be routed thru the speakers in the display or ceiling speakers. I understand the better quality of the inceiling speakers and the video-audio divergence when video comes from display and audio comes from ceiling. My question is...what is best or standard practice? Is it possible to easily switch the audio from one speaker set (display) to inceilings as desired on the fly so to speak? If so, would you suggest planning for this option?

2. I plan to have the following:

one surround zone in media room (audio and video)

three zones with audio only (stereo)

five zones of both audio (stereo) and video

Dealer suggests C4 amp, A/V matrix (8x8), two HC300 controllers (only 2 -3 adults at home). I am getting several remotes, a touch panel, some lighting, garage door and alarm integration.

Just want to verify that with this setup is adequate and I would be able to access all video and audio sources at all corresponding locations including DVD feed/audio from media rm.

Thanks very much in advance for any comments/thoughts on this!

I use both the TV speakers and the in ceiling speakers. I have a pair of in ceiling speakers in every room. I have mine setup so that while watching TV it plays over the TV speakers, and while listening to music in plays over the in ceiling speakers. This way I can have announcements and what not go off while watching TV without interrupting the TV's audio (unless I want it to). As was mentioned earlier there are programming workarounds to use both (which I have done) but it is extensive and not very easy to figure out.

As far as accessing all your video and audio feeds in all parts of the house that will require a video matrix switch. This is easy enough to do, but it will require components that you don't have listed here.

Like control4userguy said just find a dealer that you trust, call some references of his, check out some of his installs, and then do what he recommends.

Every install and every situation is different, and there are often times (if not always) multiple ways to accomplish something. If you use a competent dealer he will accomplish everything you want and more, in the fashion that he thinks will suit you both best.

There's my .02.

EDIT: Typo. Man it is too early.

Archived