C4 Forums | Control4

Dish Joey linking to hopper on different Lan

I am hoping someone can help me connecting my wired joey to my hopper

In the House: Router 1 connected to Switch 1 (Ip  192.168.1.xxx
Hopper Connected to Switch 1 in the house (Ip 192.168.1.xxx)

In the Motorcoach: Router 2 connected to Switch 1 (using DMZ to share the internet connection on Router 1) Ip 192.168.2.xxx
Motorcoach: Router 2 connected to switch 2
Joey connected to Switch 2 in the motor coach (Ip 192.168.2.xxx)

Clients connected to the Home router 1 (192.168.1.xxx) can ping other clients on the Coach router2 (192.168.2.xxx)
 Joey gets an ip address (192.168.2.xxx) but is not linking to the Hopper on 192.168.1.xxx

Anyone know why the  Joey is not linking up with the hopper?

Basic networking rules.  The devices are on different subnets, therefore they will not talk to each other.  Unless you manually create firewall rules to allow that connectivity.

Just because you can ping the device doesn't mean that they will interact with each other.

Think of using Ping as a tool to see A) if the device is on a network b) what its latency is, if any. 

If you know VLANS, it can be done. But if you knew vlans you'd not be asking.

This is not the place to look for the knowledge required to do that, or any specific issue with hoppers that may exist in that situation - you'd want to present that to a specific forum for networking.

Thanks Lippa,

The router is needed because once the coach leaves the driveway, it will be on its own network since it has its own control4 system installed. Also has a cell modem but I am trying to use the homes unlimited internet while its parked in the driveway. I learned the hard way when ATT wireless charged me $200 to download 2 movies in que on the Kaleidescape using the cell modem.

I don't think the Joey work over VLAN. The Joey use a broadcast to locate the Hopper. Since the broadcast is on 2 separate networks, this want work. 

You can try to put the Hopper and Joey on the same network, setup, then move the joey. However I don't think this method would work.

Still think you should use the Dish Anywhere App. This can connect to the Hopper locally or remote.

Ok, buy a small 5 port switch, take the Ethernet feed and plug that into switch for uplink to home network.

Plug your Joey into the switch (so it is on house network).

Plug MC router into the switch and keep it the way it is for the local network.

im assuming you have the cellular card as a backup to the MC router, so when away, failover kicks in on router and switches to cell service?

Only way that I’d know of to be able to link to home network while away would be using an EoIP tunnel with mikrotik routers. MC router would failover to cell when you leave home property and then would use the cell network to tunnel into your home network, which includes all broadcasts.  This would be like as if you were at home.

Id imagine if you went that route though, you’d be paying a hefty cell bill if you didn’t already have an unlimited plan.  Couldn’t guarantee how good the Joey would work though as that would be totally dependent on how good and fast the cell network is.

Thanks very much for that info. 

I made it stupid simple.  I simply have the inside switch wired to the outside switch when the coach is in the driveway. The coach router gets disconnected and all coach devices get ip from the dhcp server inside the home. So it’s now on the home lan.  

When the coach leaves the driveway I disconnect the switch connection from the inside switch and reconnect the coach router which is already connected to the cell modem. Coach devices will now get ip from the coach dhcp router which has reserved ip addresses for the devices so I don’t lose control4 addressing  

The matrix now has 2 sat receivers  Joey for when it’s in the driveway  and a Wally for on the road dish watching

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.