C4 Forums | Control4

It finally happened......a V2 remote went in the pool!

So yesterday I was enjoying the afternoon in the pool with my wife and kids. We were listening to some kids music and my two year old son had gotten out of the pool to get his ball and was dancing on the deck to his favorite song. He decided he wanted me to turn it up so he grabbed the remote and threw it too me while I was in the pool! It got a few feet under before I got to it, and was only under water for about 5 seconds.

I immediately took the batteries out and set it on the table. About 30 minutes later I took it inside and set it on a towel to let it dry out. This evening I am going to put the batteries in and see what happens.

Do you guys think it will work? Certainly this has happened to someone else.

I'm just glad we didn't a have a 10.5 inch out there, or even an SR250. Usually when we're swimming we take a V2 out instead of the 10.5 for this very reason.

Oh well, you live and learn.

EDIT: Fix typo.

I had a V1 remote get wet in my hottub about 4 months ago. I did have it in a plastic bag and that was a good thing but some water seeped into the bag and the remote died and it had some moisture visible behind the clear screen.

I took out the batteries, left the battery compartment open and took a hair dryer to it. I blew the warm air into the battery compartment, aiming it up toward the display. I continued this for 10-15 minutes and then waited for a while and then did it again for about 5 minutes.

It works fine to this day.

I would rinse it in distilled water, to get any minerals out of it, and then set it on a warm surface for a day or two to fully dry.

I used to have a 21" CRT monitor that worked perfectly for this sort of thing. A nice, dry warm heat.

Most solid state low-voltage electronics can survive a dunk or two, although I haven't personally tried it with a C4 remote.

RyanE

So yesterday I was enjoying the afternoon in the pool with my wife and kids. We were listening to some kids music and my two year old son had gotten out of the pool to get his ball and was dancing on the deck to his favorite song. He decided he wanted me to turn it up so he grabbed the remote and threw it too me while I was in the pool! It got a few feet under before I got to it, and was only under water for about 5 seconds.

I immediately took the batteries out and set it on the table. About 30 minutes later I took it inside and set it on a towel to let it dry out. This evening I am going to put the batteries in and see what happens.

Do you guys think it will work? Certainly this has happened to someone else.

I'm just glad we didn't a have a 10.5 inch out there, or even an SR250. Usually when we're swimming we take a V2 out instead of the 10.5 for this very reason.

Oh well, you live and learn.

EDIT: Fix typo.

What was the rate of decent? :)

Hope it works out at the end. If not, hey you got a good excuse for an upgrade!

Put it in a zip lock bag full of rice for a day or two. The rice will absorb the water. I ran my cell phone through the wash once, and did this, and it powered back up just fine. Not guaranteed but worth the cost of the rice and the wait.

Just recently had a client had this happen to them and it took 2 weeks but Yes eventually it dried out.

Go to your local marina.

They sell a bag that is like a ziplock but works!!

Just a suggetion.

Is your pool saltwater? I wonder if that makes a difference - the water will likely be more conductive if it has salt.

No, I have one of those about 35 miles away called the Great Salt Lake :-)

There is plenty of salt water here, that is the last thing I want in my back yard.

See we can all fun here while playing with Control4. We need the dealers here becuase they see all the weird stuff their customers uncover. Some users here think they are "dealers" so what's the difference?

See we can all fun here while playing with Control4. We need the dealers here becuase they see all the weird stuff their customers uncover. Some users here think they are "dealers" so what's the difference?

and some dealers are..., well you know what they act like at least

besides, where else to go for pure C4 info? AVS Forums- not hardly.

For every post on C4, there's an equal post about C4 sucks and 10x the number of posts saying "You should check out CQC or Cinemar.." or "My guy knows a Crestron guy...".

It seems as though AVS covers a wide walk of people, automation is one extreme or the other.

besides' date=' where else to go for pure C4 info? AVS Forums- not hardly.[/quote']

For every post on C4, there's an equal post about C4 sucks and 10x the number of posts saying "You should check out CQC or Cinemar.." or "My guy knows a Crestron guy...".

It seems as though AVS covers a wide walk of people, automation is one extreme or the other.

Yeah, AVS isn't too good a place to talk about C4.

This place is great, with an exception or two. All in all I am really glad this forum exists. Everywhere you go, there will always be "a few bad apples".

Archived