C4 Forums | Control4

Wall Switch Opinions

Time2Jet

Wasn't sure which topic to put this under, so I picked this one.

I'd like some well-thought opinions on the subject of adding switches to my project.

I have approx 40-45 Lutron Caseta Pro dimmers/switches in my project now.  I have had zero issues with them and I "sometimes" use the Lutron app for control (or renaming and definitely adding) and definitely use Alexa for lighting.  The Caseta Pro Bridge will now support 75 items, it was 50 when I started the project. 

I want to add automation all of my dumb bathroom switches (15) and 10 Lamps (these are now Hue Bulbs which aren't cutting it in my layout).

Do I even bother with the added cost of C4 switches?  I can program timers, etc in Composer for Caseta, correct?  I realize, depending upon the switch, I would gain some additional automation with the C4 switches (button presses, keypad buttons etc, depending upon the switch model).

Whichever way this goes, I do want to enhance my zigbee mesh, but it seems the added cost of C4 switches versus Caseta Switches will allow me to add 2-3 zigbee repeaters. I will be saving $1500.00 with Caseta on the switches.  The lamps are a separate thing.  I was going to use Caseta plugs, but I I have the TP Link Driver from Chowmain, so I can go a lot of ways on the plugs.  I just think it's best to try to stay all one ecosystem?

Thanks in advance!

If you are happy with Caseta, by all means stick with it, but just be aware that you will be topping out your device limit (75).  Also keep in mind that the hub and each Pico also count as one of those 75 devices.  You can program timers, etc in Composer HE.  You can also use the Caseta loads directly in Advanced Lighting Scenes (sometimes there are reasons why you wouldn't want to do this).  

With C4 switches - you get the nifty LED's, double/triple tap and of course the Zigbee mesh benefits.  I chose to use Lutron RA2 Select throughout most of my home.  I supplement them with Control4 keypads in several rooms which help with my Zigbee mesh.  You can call lighting scenes from the keypads, etc.  

9 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

If you are happy with Caseta, by all means stick with it, but just be aware that you will be topping out your device limit (75).  Also keep in mind that the hub and each Pico also count as one of those 75 devices.  You can program timers, etc in Composer HE.  You can also use the Caseta loads directly in Advanced Lighting Scenes (sometimes there are reasons why you wouldn't want to do this).  

With C4 switches - you get the nifty LED's, double/triple tap and of course the Zigbee mesh benefits.  I chose to use Lutron RA2 Select throughout most of my home.  I supplement them with Control4 keypads in several rooms which help with my Zigbee mesh.  You can call lighting scenes from the keypads, etc.  

@LollerAgent   I started my project never knowing I would end up with C4, so if I had to do it over, I would probably have done C4 lighting, if not RA2.  The Keypads are a good idea, considering a repeater serves no other purpose.  Thanks for the response.  I always like to hear your opinion on things.

24 minutes ago, time2jet said:

If I install one of these in each bathroom, I can load one light, but also program the buttons to operate the other Caseta switches?  This would be ideal for my mesh, as the bathrooms are located precisely where I'd want to repeat zigbee.

correct

25 minutes ago, time2jet said:

If I install one of these in each bathroom, I can load one light, but also program the buttons to operate the other Caseta switches?  This would be ideal for my mesh, as the bathrooms are located precisely where I'd want to repeat zigbee.

Yep - that is correct.  The other buttons on the keypad can virtually do anything you want.

Afterthought. Do I have any button control with Caseta in C4. I never really looked. Like, can I double tap the off button on a certain Pro Switch to turn off the entire room? Because if this is the case, I’ll just finish out with Caseta and add a few zigbee extenders to enhance my C4 mesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No - I don't believe you can do that.  But, I believe you can apply custom programming to Pico remotes (still don't think there is double/triple tap functionality).. although, I could be wrong.

Picos will definitely program to control anything Caseta on the system. But I don’t think it will allow tap programming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.