C4 Forums | Control4

Bedroom tv

daveva

Is it possible to control a TV in a bedroom through a monitor 2  HDMI out on a marantz receiver from the  media room? Will I receive the satellite channels?  

Matt is correct, as usual. Done every day by many of us. You obviously have to use separate sources unless you’ll never be using both rooms at one time - (you can however watch the same exact source simultaneously). I have this exact situation and it’s a wonderful solution (balun). I have certain independent sources for each room (ie 2 Tivo Boxes, two Roku’s), but share a BluRay player. I’m able to control everything via ip, so I didn’t need ir.

Is this AVR in the other room or in a rack room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All depends on how much you personally value it. It is not uncommon for cheap baluns to just stop working or have plenty of issues. I use AVPro Edge baluns. They just work every time without hiccups and I’ve never replaced one. They aren’t inexpensive. I can also link you to some less expensive ones you can buy on Amazon once I know your cable type.

What cable are you thinking of using? If you’re having to run a new cable, just use Cat6a. But maybe you already have coaxial or something going from one room to the next?

As far as ip control, I believe all Samsung’s built from 2016 on should be fine. But with a balun ir will work fine.

Running new wire. AV pro is to much for my budget. As far as the TV can be controlled by IP I’m not sure but it does have an lan connection. I did search Amazon for a balun but I’d like to have your recommendation. Thanks

Not all samsungs. Depends on model

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

@msgreenf

Thanks for chiming in Mitch. I was thinking you would know this. I think this is a 2017 model, and likely has SmartHub built in. That’s why I was thinking ip control was possible.

A 30’ HDMI can be bought at Amazon for under $30. A budget, but decent, balun is $200 plus the cabling.

Running new wire. AV pro is to much for my budget. As far as the TV can be controlled by IP I’m not sure but it does have an lan connection. I did search Amazon for a balun but I’d like to have your recommendation. Thanks

This is just an example. There are others that will work. This one does have Poc (Poe), so you won’t need power at the TV. It does not have ARC, but I don’t see a reason for it.

Monoprice Blackbird 4K Pro HDBaseT Extender Kit, IR, 70m With PoC, RS232, HDCP 2.2, 4K@60Hz

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZXHV1S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_USawDbQM2MMGC

[mention=129290]msgreenf[/mention]

Thanks for chiming in Mitch. I was thinking you would know this. I think this is a 2017 model, and likely has SmartHub built in. That’s why I was thinking ip control was possible.

A 30’ HDMI can be bought at Amazon for under $30. A budget, but decent, balun is $200 plus the cabling.

All depends on the model still

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have Cat6 run to my bedroom/TV location, I'll buy a 50" TV this November during Black Friday.  Probably a Samsung for ~ $400 so not sure if that will get me a LAN port. So if I want to have capability to play a BluRay located across house in a rack will a balun provide that?  How do I control the disk - does this require an EA1 in the bedroom that communicates back to the EA3/homebase or is a C4 remote in the bedroom (+ balun) all I need to use a BluRay located in the rack?

You will need the EA1 only for OSD. Otherwise a balun and a remote (or the C4 app, if you don’t want to buy a remote). Out of curiosity, are you thinking about sharing the BluRay player? If so, you’ll need some sort of matrix switching. I’m pretty sure you can find an HDBaseT Balun with two HDMI outputs or if you have an AVR or preamp, you can just run it through that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.