C4 Forums | Control4

Virtual HDMI Switcher

Don Cohen

I am currently on 2.10.6, wanting to upgrade to 3.1.  One Driver in my current project is not compatible: "Key Digital HDMI 4x1" avswitch Driver.

This is for my Theater.  I use the Panasonic UB820 UHD Player for 3 separate functions:
Regular Blu-ray
UHD Blu-ray
Netflix

I basically wanted these treated as 3 different 'inputs', so I can program different functionality into each, and have these take place automatically.  So for example, when I play a UHD Blu-ray, one of the programming steps is issuing a command to my JVC Projector to go to the HDR Picture Mode.  Similarly, when activating the Regular Blu-ray 'input' it chooses a different picture mode.  I have it integrated with Alexa, and it works quite well: "Alexa turn on the UHD Blu-ray" and all necessary devices get turned on, appropriate inputs and modes are selected, etc.  Similarly with "Alexa turn on the Blu-ray."

The guys who set this up to begin with achieved this functionality by adding the Key HDMI Digital Switcher, using it as a Virtual switcher.  This Driver is apparently not compatible with 3.1, so it will have to go.

So my question is whether or not there is a 3.1 compatible Virtual HDMI Switcher/Driver that would function as the current one does?

Alternatively, is there a different way of achieving this type of functionality, to be able to treat these 3 separate functions of the Panasonic Blu-ray player as different for the sake of differential programming?  When they installed the system, they said there was no direct way to do that, but thought I'd take another look at that as well.

Thanks!

Thanks msgreenf.

On the SnapAV site, I found "avswitch_Binary_B-220-HDSWTCH-3x1.c4i"  - is this the one you're talking about that is 3.1 compatible?

Searching in Composer Pro, I'm not seeing that one.  When I limit the search to AudioVideo Category, A/V Switch for Type, I'm not seeing that one specifically.  There's a bunch of B-500, B-520, 4x4, 8x8, etc. - which would be appropriate for my situation?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, sonic30101 said:

I use the binary 3x1 and 5x1 drivers for virtual switches and those are 3.0+ compatible 

Would this one do what I want?  As per my post above, I'm not finding any described as 3x1 or 5x1 when I search within Composer Pro.

Model Binary B-520-MTRX-230-4x4 [IP]

Or would you recommend a different driver, and if so, is it found through a Search or some other means?

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

It isnt in composer you have to download it and move it to the drivers folder in the control4 folder in your documents then it shows up in composer search

Gotcha - that's what I was thinking.  This is the one you're recommending, right:

"avswitch_Binary_B-220-HDSWTCH-3x1.c4i"

And just out of curiosity, would the Binary B-520-MTRX-230-4x4 [IP] also work, or is that for a different application?

Just to report back:

I copied the Binary 3x1 HDMI Switcher driver to the appropriate Control4 folder, then added the driver to my Project.  I configured all the connections as they were with the original one, deleted the original driver and connections, and everything is working perfectly.  Ready for the 3.1 upgrade now.

Thanks for the advice and help freely given here!

Don

• 3 months later...

Is there an actual physical HDMI switch in your system, or does your receiver allow one physical input to be assigned to three virtual labels?

For instance, we've achieved similar with Anthem surround units. Where the surround unit allows one physical input to be logically assigned to both BluRay and CD inputs. Then in composer, duplicate the Oppo, connect it to both Blu and CD inputs, and connect both to the same IR port on the processor.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.