C4 Forums | Control4

Nest Hello Integration

J to the D

Has anyone managed integration between Nest Hello doorbell and Control4? I really don’t want to change to a DS2 but the lack of integration is annoying. 

From what I’ve heard the only thing you can do is have a push notification when the doorbell rings. You can also have an announcement that triggers, ie a doorbell sound from ceiling speakers.

You also miss out on the intercom anywhere app.

I mainly use DoorBirds are they support the intercom anywhere app and are very good when it comes to integration and custom programming.

I could however be wrong about the nest only having push notifications as integration. I’ve not heard from anywhere that you can pull the video in also.

Thanks
Muj

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mainly use DoorBirds are they support the intercom anywhere app and are very good when it comes to integration and custom programming.

DoorBird is not a solid product and their support is laughable at best.
I’d use a old fashioned doorbell before using one of those turds again

Fair enough.

I hat sort of problems have you had?

I can honestly put my hands up and say I’ve never ran into any issues with Control4 or any other control system for that matter. Had an issue with RTi but that was network related on a job that I never initially did.

1da77bbc8039c1ecec076596da9c83b5.jpg

43e6a27bee7d01fbb52e2014641455e3.jpg

Fair enough.

I hat sort of problems have you had?

I can honestly put my hands up and say I’ve never ran into any issues with Control4 or any other control system for that matter. Had an issue with RTi but that was network related on a job that I never initially did.

1da77bbc8039c1ecec076596da9c83b5.jpg

43e6a27bee7d01fbb52e2014641455e3.jpg

I’ve had them in several projects and the issues far out way the functionality
I’ve had it not work with C4 to trigger announcements. I’ve seen it not work with its own app. I’ve seen it not be actually ONVIF compliant.
I’ve seen motion not work at all. I’ve seen it not work reliably with C4 touchscreens.
The gen one stuff was really bad, the gen 2 is better but still bad. Add in the fact that they didn’t think to make a solid upgrade path from gen one to gen 2 as the back boxes are hugely different I’d say as a company they are idiots.
The connection time using the DoorBird app when not at home is incredibly slow compared to ring and nest, especially when using cellular.
I have removed as many as possible and replaced them with ring elites.
While i can’t get video to a C4 navigator, it does communicate announcements reliably and it’s app actually does work.
Btw every doorturd I’ve installed was poe not WiFi.
Also keep in mind that DoorBird power cycles the unit everyday (or at least they did) to prevent it from locking up, which still isn’t enough.
And just in case, every category cable used with DoorBird has been tested with a fluke cable iq.

I’ve had them in several projects and the issues far out way the functionality
I’ve had it not work with C4 to trigger announcements. I’ve seen it not work with its own app. I’ve seen it not be actually ONVIF compliant.
I’ve seen motion not work at all. I’ve seen it not work reliably with C4 touchscreens.
The gen one stuff was really bad, the gen 2 is better but still bad. Add in the fact that they didn’t think to make a solid upgrade path from gen one to gen 2 as the back boxes are hugely different I’d say as a company they are idiots.
The connection time using the DoorBird app when not at home is incredibly slow compared to ring and nest, especially when using cellular.
I have removed as many as possible and replaced them with ring elites.
While i can’t get video to a C4 navigator, it does communicate announcements reliably and it’s app actually does work.
Btw every doorturd I’ve installed was poe not WiFi.
Also keep in mind that DoorBird power cycles the unit everyday (or at least they did) to prevent it from locking up, which still isn’t enough.
And just in case, every category cable used with DoorBird has been tested with a fluke cable iq.

Completely fair enough. That’s why as CI’s we all have our own go to equipment that just works. And it may not the the same for you and I or the next person.

Sorry to hear about the issues you’ve been having. I have nothing to do with the company but I do really feel for you I know what it’s like when things go wrong on jobs.

Like I said before I’ve only had one issue and that was nothing to do with Control4

Thanks
Muj

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2019 at 2:38 PM, SouthernSmarthome said:

The only thing you can do is have it trigger an announcement if it gets wired up.
Otherwise nothing

On 12/21/2019 at 2:40 PM, mujtaba.khokhar said:

From what I’ve heard the only thing you can do is have a push notification when the doorbell rings. You can also have an announcement that triggers, ie a doorbell sound from ceiling speakers.

You also miss out on the intercom anywhere app.

I could however be wrong about the nest only having push notifications as integration. I’ve not heard from anywhere that you can pull the video in also.

Thanks
Muj

Can you point me to how this would need to be wired to trigger an announcement through Control4?  That's the only functionality I'm after right now.

Thank you!

Can you point me to how this would need to be wired to trigger an announcement through Control4?  That's the only functionality I'm after right now.
Thank you!

The best way for you to do it is via IFTTT

So you’d program against ifttt triggers for example when the doorbell button is pushed to play an announcement in the ceiling speakers and send a push notification to homeowners mobile phone if that’s what you needed.

Another way is if the nest or your chime has a trigger out you can use that to achieve the same thing.

I’ve not used the nest in a while so I can’t remember if you can actually program against a a doorbell push or it’s just motion. You’d have to have a look at the ifttt docs to find out.

2 hours ago, mujtaba.khokhar said:

The best way for you to do it is via IFTTT

So you’d program against ifttt triggers for example when the doorbell button is pushed to play an announcement in the ceiling speakers and send a push notification to homeowners mobile phone if that’s what you needed.

Another way is if the nest or your chime has a trigger out you can use that to achieve the same thing.

I’ve not used the nest in a while so I can’t remember if you can actually program against a a doorbell push or it’s just motion. You’d have to have a look at the ifttt docs to find out.

Thanks, @mujtaba.khokhar.  Bear with me as I'm not too familiar with IFTTT, but I don't see anything related to the Nest Hello doorbell.  I've also searched in Composer for any kind of driver but haven't been able to find anything. 

If you have any ideas, please let me know.  I'd prefer to trigger the announcement via IP if possible because I might be losing all of my contacts to another project I'm working on.

Thanks again!

• 2 years later...
On 12/21/2019 at 3:38 PM, SouthernSmarthome said:

The only thing you can do is have it trigger an announcement if it gets wired up.
Otherwise nothing

What do you mean by "wired up" exactly? Via network cable? Splicing into the doorbell wire?

On 12/21/2019 at 4:43 PM, SouthernSmarthome said:

ive done several doorbirds and i had one at my house for about 2 years before the chime came out. i can tell you while the nightvision on the doorbirds sucks, the integration with control4 was always solid for me. in the 2 years i had mine, i had no issues, except the nightvision was bad, really bad. i received all my intercom calls, all my notifications. i cant say that for a chime. i have installed over a 100 doorbird for clients with urc total control and control4 and most are running strong still. i have installed about 50 chimes or so, and i get all different complaints from history not working, constant button press notifications, no video when they answer on thier phone, long delay to open the image, etc, etc. tech support from them has always been fine but we dont buy direct from doorbird because when you do have an RMA its expensive to ship back so we buy from a distributor. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.