C4 Forums | Control4

John F

john f

Question

I believe the  router in my rack is crapping out. The model has been discontinued. When I replace it with something else (same make, different model) can I just plug and play or must I have the dealer program it in some way first? Thanks..john f

2 answers to this question

Hi John F

Most likely you need to review things. Did you setup the first router ?
you may have some static ip devices that could conflict with the new router. Especially if you have av and smart home devices that you didn’t set up. There may be reserved IP addresses in the router that you will need to replace. 

i would suggest having a dealer review your control4 system to scope out some ip addresses. 

I highly suggest getting into your router now and logging all important addresses  and note the dhcp range. , and firewall rules. Etc...

On 2/13/2020 at 6:15 PM, john f said:

I believe the  router in my rack is crapping out. The model has been discontinued. When I replace it with something else (same make, different model) can I just plug and play or must I have the dealer program it in some way first? Thanks..john f

does not require a dealer but to make it easier you may want one to take a look if you are not fully aware of the networking going on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.