C4 Forums | Control4

C4 prices in Australia: complete rip-off

• 4 weeks later...

Can I just add that in the UK the dealers generaly pay in sterling for C4 devices what the US end-user pays in dollars.

C4 has an office in the UK - they took over the importer/distribution company, however, the prices remain the same.

For a HC500 in the UK the mrrp is £1555 plus VAT at 15% totalling £1788.25. At today's rates that would be:

US$ (1.67) = $2986.38

AUS$ (1.95) = $3487.09

The mrrp for a dimmer switch is £120.75 incl tax.

US$ = $201.65

AUS$ = $235.46

And my favourite.... the 10.5 inch TS is £2984.25 incl tax.

US$ = $4983.70

AUS$ = $5819.29

Just a bit of an eye opener I reckon. It's a shame about the prices being so high in the UK as I reckon C4 could take the market by storm if they dropped the prices somewhat.

I still love the stuff though!

Out of interest...

an HC1000 mrrp is £3582.25 incl tax.

US$ = $5982.36

AUS$ = $6985.39

We pay more in VAT on a TS or HC1000 than you guys probably pay for a HC300.

What scares us off buying on ebay is the input power difference. Dimmers, switches and keypads are definitely out because I know they have to be "doctored" to accept 240v for the UK. I'm not sure about controllers, they might be suitable for either 110 or 240, and I don't know about touch screens.

Out of interest...

an HC1000 mrrp is £3582.25 incl tax.

US$ = $5982.36

AUS$ = $6985.39

We pay more in VAT on a TS or HC1000 than you guys probably pay for a HC300.

What scares us off buying on ebay is the input power difference. Dimmers, switches and keypads are definitely out because I know they have to be "doctored" to accept 240v for the UK. I'm not sure about controllers, they might be suitable for either 110 or 240, and I don't know about touch screens.

These sort of prices outside of the US are exactly why C4 needs to introduce things like a PC/MAC software interface and improve integration with other media devices like sonos/xbmc etc....to keep the total cost down into a family home...

What I am driving at is give customers the ability to expand the C4 plaftform with non proprietry hardware and software options. Whilst I understand why a company might not wish to do this (they think they will sell more C4 touchscreens etc)..they wont because of the exorbitant prices and tax takes outside the US.

The whole platform will remain unused!

What seems to be attracting non US customers is the lower prices (compared to AMX and Crestron)...which have NEVER penetrated into anything other that billioner homes. Customers like me can start off small with a couple of HC200/300's and grow the system. But this wont happen if the whole set up starts to get into the $30-50,000 AUD (15-25,000 pound) range. I'll stop expanding the system!

So bring on more computer software controllers and put the interface onto more non proprietry devices (like the fantastic iphone one). Allow Sonos integration. Then we can avoid these ridiculous mark ups and taxes and get more use out of the C4 platform:)

What I am driving at is give customers the ability to expand the C4 plaftform with non proprietry hardware and software options. Whilst I understand why a company might not wish to do this (they think they will sell more C4 touchscreens etc)..they wont because of the exorbitant prices and tax takes outside the US.

The whole platform will remain unused!

So bring on more computer software controllers and put the interface onto more non proprietry devices (like the fantastic iphone one). Allow Sonos integration. Then we can avoid these ridiculous mark ups and taxes and get more use out of the C4 platform:)

So you must not read much on the forums lately ;)

Zigbee Pro is opening the door for a HUGE amount of third party hardware, starting with the B&D door locks. Now there's Z-wave integration so you can use cheaper hardware if you wanted. I know a manufacturer that's starting a beta for a fan control module (yes, speed control too) that may be powered by Zigbee. Sony, NAD, Pioneer, & others announcing either straight Control4 compatibility or in the case of NAD building the controller into modules and ultimately their receivers.

2.0 bringing the app store in, I've seen demos of a lot of cool stuff that has already been shown here (http://c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=4002) including porting the iPhone app to Blackberry (and wouldn't you think having a Flash based navigator would mean it would be much easier to create something like...an Adobe Air based PC app?... and that when 2.0 hits they will surely upgrade webnavigator too) and I promise that when 2.0's SDK hits, I will personally work with other dealers and whoever it takes to figure out if Sonos can be integrated once and for all. If it can't, will you switch to using Control4 for your audio? ;) You really have nothing to lose with the upcoming two-way appletv driver (hey all your itunes music) and FLAC support (available now).

Thanks for putting it all together! Exciting times. It's why I chose C4 in the first place :

I honestly believe the next couple of years are going to really see this all take off...

Sure: we all know a PC/Mac/browser sofware controller just has to be about THE most wanted product..so I am still scratching my head as to just why the C4 guys just havent gone out and done this! Seems a no brainer to me :D

And thanks for the Sonos offer. Appols for pushing it again :rolleyes: Lookin forward to it!

Codeman,

I have seen you a number of times refer to the 2 way driver for Apple TV. What additional functionality will that provide that ir control of apple tv does not already provide?

Cheers

When it comes out next year, it's *supposed* to allow integration just like the Negear 9150, zatabit, XBMC solutions. But since they are waiting on 2.0, I have no idea what it will or will not do.... but that would be the basis for it anyway. Would be nice to be able to get your rental movies through the gui, or tell apple tv to rent some new ones. No telling what's possible.

Archived