C4 Forums | Control4

Wifi vs Hardwire with EERO vs araknis vs others

Hi all,

I have araknis as my router and multiple EEROs hardwired throughout the house in bridge mode. I use verizon Fios (recent change from optimum) and if I test hardwired I get speeds of 500-700mbps. When I test wifi I get 200-250mbps out of my EEROs. Questions:

1. Am I suppose to lose half of my hardwired signal when it broadcasts wireless?

2. Would I be better off changing the EEROs to araknis or ruckus or other APs?

TIA

with EEROs or other mesh networks, the speed gets cut in half each time the signal is repeated...so yes it doesn't surprise me, if your EEROs are not all hard-wired to the network.  I would only use EERO if you didn't have cat5/6 run throughout the house and had to rely on mesh wifi instead.

15 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

with EEROs or other mesh networks, the speed gets cut in half each time the signal is repeated...so yes it doesn't surprise me, if your EEROs are not all hard-wired to the network.  I would only use EERO if you didn't have cat5/6 run throughout the house and had to rely on mesh wifi instead.

Ive rewired my existing phone lines to rj45 ethernet so only 1 eero is not hardwired. They are all direct from my router so no repeating. So the question is if I hardwire a ruckus or araknis, would my wifi speed out of them be better?

there are a variety of factors...however if you are connected to the 5g radio and standing next to the AP, you should be able to get faster than 200mb.  I've just installed some Araknis APs and am getting just under 500mb download speeds when in close proximity.  Incoming connection is a 500mb fiber connection.

intersting. Would be worth checking out then. I have an araknis router and wonder if I were to get one araknis AP hardwired I could test it. my home is 5000sq ft. How many would your recommend? and any particular model? Thanks again.

3 hours ago, Nehsmit said:

Hi all,

I have araknis as my router and multiple EEROs hardwired throughout the house in bridge mode. I use verizon Fios (recent change from optimum) and if I test hardwired I get speeds of 500-700mbps. When I test wifi I get 200-250mbps out of my EEROs. Questions:

1. Am I suppose to lose half of my hardwired signal when it broadcasts wireless?

TIA

The Eero is going to get 240Mbps at 2.4 GHz and about 600Mbps at 5 GHz, I would guess your connecting on the 2.4, so you're probably doing ok. You could spend a lot more for Rukus but realize that if you connect at 2.4 some devices (Like H510) peak at 300Mbps.  Not really a big change for the money.....  At the same time your client's wifi might be the limiting factor.....     And above all your won't get the same throughput as the wired connection.

2 minutes ago, ekohn00 said:

The Eero is going to get 240Mbps at 2.4 GHz and about 600Mbps at 5 GHz, I would guess your connecting on the 2.4, so you're probably doing ok. You could spend a lot more for Rukus but realize that if you connect at 2.4 some devices (Like H510) peak at 300Mbps.  Not really a big change for the money.....  At the same time your client's wifi might be the limiting factor.....     And above all your won't get the same throughput as the wired connection.

Thank you for the informative response. As a follow up, do most Fire TV's connect on the 2.4 or 5ghz? ANyway I can specify what bandwith what connects to? My computers hardwired are giving me the 600mbps but within a few few on wireless are in the 200-240 range. This is even on new Mac's. Thanks again.

3 minutes ago, Nehsmit said:

Thank you for the informative response. As a follow up, do most Fire TV's connect on the 2.4 or 5ghz? ANyway I can specify what bandwith what connects to? My computers hardwired are giving me the 600mbps but within a few few on wireless are in the 200-240 range. This is even on new Mac's. Thanks again.

I believe the newer 4k FireTVs do both. Always dependent on signal. And just because a devices connects at 5ghz, doesn't mean it will use the entire BW available by the access point.

It's really only a problem if you can't stream...my guess, based on your numbers, you probably don't have that problem.

12 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

2.4 maxes out at 90mb download speed in my experience.  I've never gotten faster than that (in many different networks using different WAPs) when connected to 2.4.

There's almost nothing that won't work at that speed, and that wouldn't be bad if your internet connection was 100MB, but 2.4 should see more, assuming clear line of sight/strong signals.

The speed is also very dependent on the device.  My MacBook Pros will easily get 200MBs on 2.4 but something like a ring or ecobee is in the sub 100Mbs range.  

Phones and iPads moving around the house also get 150+ on 2.4.

18 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

2.4 maxes out at 90mb download speed in my experience.  I've never gotten faster than that (in many different networks using different WAPs) when connected to 2.4.

2.4 should be over 100mb when set correctly in a good environment. Also remember the 2.4 network effects with slower devices. I would do some research on your devices and their wireless capabilities. My MBP is 6 years old and has a 3x3 card but newer MBPs had 2x2 cards because of design and cost with the other features. 100-200mb compete coverage on both networks is really what you want to shoot for. 

When I test wifi I get 200-250mbps out of my EEROs. Questions:
TIA

100-200mb compete coverage on both networks is really what you want to shoot for. 

Seems the OP is getting as good as it gets.

12 hours ago, SMHarman said:

Seems the OP is getting as good as it gets.

haha true but still something not satisfying about getting 750 down on my EERO hardwired but only 100-200mbps over wifi. I see max broadcast eero is 350mbps. Was just wondering if there was something better in terms of cost value. 

haha true but still something not satisfying about getting 750 down on my EERO hardwired but only 100-200mbps over wifi. I see max broadcast eero is 350mbps. Was just wondering if there was something better in terms of cost value. 
Seems you have this well optimized so I'd say no, at this time enjoy being able to stream UHD HDR to 4-8 screens at any one time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.