C4 Forums | Control4

Garage Doors sensors

I’ve had sensors installed for about a year now, but they have never worked. It hasn’t been a huge concern so I left it alone. Now that I have a little more free time, I wanted to get them working properly. I checked the sensors themselves and they work fine. They are open when the garage is open. 

I have them connected to the COM and NC connection on the EA5. Possibly because of this, when I test the door sensors when installed they always read closed, regardless of what the state of the sensor. 

Should I use NO instead of NC?

Are you talking about a relay or a contact sensor?  Maybe you're missing the contact sensor?  The relay will open and close, the contact sensor will give you status.  If properly set up, the contact sensor should be virtually present as a driver in the project and connected virtually and physically to a contact sensor.  eg, on a controller, z2io, io extender, etc...

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

The wire is run from my garage into the house and into the EA5. Nothing in between. I don’t know if it’s programmed, but I believe it was? When I purchased the switch that controls the garage doors and the sensors you mentioned it was programmed to change the light colour (on the switch) when the door was closed. 

The circuit reads as though its closed regardless of the garage door position, which is why I thought I should connect this to NO instead of NC?

15 minutes ago, F0ZZ said:

The wire is run from my garage into the house and into the EA5. Nothing in between. I don’t know if it’s programmed, but I believe it was? When I purchased the switch that controls the garage doors and the sensors you mentioned it was programmed to change the light colour (on the switch) when the door was closed. 

The circuit reads as though its closed regardless of the garage door position, which is why I thought I should connect this to NO instead of NC?

I have a feeling it's not connected in your project....  I can fix that... and maybe you have the contact wires mixed up with relays  :)

3 hours ago, F0ZZ said:

The photo shows what I have installed. It’s wired directly to the EA5. Sorry, but the photo is sideways.

CC77CDF0-8628-46CE-8370-3D2314D0AFF7.jpeg

Judging by that picture, it also looks like the garage will always be open.  Need to mount the magnet on a 45.  Use the other set of holes

57 minutes ago, dcovach said:

Judging by that picture, it also looks like the garage will always be open.  Need to mount the magnet on a 45.  Use the other set of holes

That type of sensor has a pretty wide gap, this likely would work even without mounting it on a 45.

I'm more concerned with where that sensor wire is routed... It shouldn't be anywhere near the door...

As far as connecting it, COM, NC, and NO are *NOT* contact input terminals.  Those are *relay output* terminals.  Relay outputs can't read inputs.

https://imgur.com/O42vje7

Since the inputs on the EA5 are active high (12V), the sensor wires should be connected to the +12V and the Contact In signal pins (which on an EA5 is labeled 'SIG').  If you'll notice, on an EA5, one side of that connector is for relay outputs, the other for contact inputs.  The EA5 has 4 relay outputs and 4 contact inputs.

How yours should be connected for contact inputs: https://imgur.com/6tHoXkc

RyanE

• 3 weeks later...

The IO on the HC250 is on the right-hand side, as in this picture.

The top row are the *RELAY OUTPUT* contacts, COM = Common, NC = Normally Closed (when relay is not energized, the contact beween C and NC is closed), NO = Normally Open (when relay is not energized, the contact between C and NO is open).  Energizing the relay opens the contact between COM and NC, and closes the contact between COM and NO.

The relay is *NON-LATCHING*, so when power is lost to the HC250, the relay goes to default state.

The bottom row is the single contact input.

+12 is +12V, SIG is the Signal Input, GND is the Ground.

Normally, a dry contact would be wired from +12V to SIG, the GND is only used if you also need to power the device, for example a motion sensor.  The motion sensor you'd run 3 wires to, and power the motion sensor with the +12V/GND pair, and the signal output from the motion sensor would come back and connect to 'SIG'.

RyanE

HC250_IO.jpg

Hello ryanE, thank for your explanation.

i having trouble expressing myself (i'm french), but i'm looking for the reference or the type of plug (RS232, for example) to use to connect to IO and where i can buy it,

i ask to my dealer but there was no answer

thank

3 hours ago, kurb77 said:

noboby can tell me where i can find the plug or reference number of the male plug for the IO connector of my HC-250

thank you

I don't have an HC250, but on my HC800 there is a green terminal block that plugs in to the relay and contact inputs. I would assume that a similar part is required for the HC250. Is that what kurb77 needs or is referring to. I wouldn't know where to get that except to call my dealer. This is what it looks like on the HC800

HC800.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 1:44 PM, kurb77 said:

noboby can tell me where i can find the plug or reference number of the male plug for the IO connector of my HC-250

thank you

they are called Pluggable Terminal Blocks or Phoenix connectors 

you'll have to measure up on the HC250 to get the right ones as there are so many sizes available. 

Thanks 

M

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.