C4 Forums | Control4

Note to C4

Dear Control4.

It's 10 months now and C4 gear still wins hands down for AV control, but that's about it. Basically a glorified universal remote.

And what a fantastic universal remote it is. But is that really how you want customers to use the product?

I'm fully aware it can do so much more...

...but with Sonos still ruling my multiroom audio, and Clipsal Integrated Systems now releasing their Wiser browser interface (and there is also an iphone app) into the cbus lighting, HVAC and security control, suddenly the lack of a C4 software controller, a web browser interface and a flexible and editable GUI, means a C4 system remains just that...a glorified universal remote

Sure is a pitty. (Yeh I know...tell somoene who cares!!!!. Nobody at C4 really reads these forums)...But we all know what the product is capable of. With a bit more flexibilty and a bit more integration with other gear, it would become THE platform at my place. But right now you're holding back it's potential ;)

The flexible GUI is coming....

With regards to everything else I think you are pretty much on your own. Scrap that SONOS for a C4 amp and there you go...it now controls your audio. It sounds to me like the only thing you really want is a flexibile GUI, and an app to control it all on your PC. The flexible GUI is coming, and something tells me that once that comes (flash based) getting a PC based navigator will be much easier.

Personally it's not holding much back in my opinion, it is a killer product.

From what I hear a PC based navigator will also be available with the flash GUI... and may or may not even require a licensing fee....

Kind of like the same rumored Win Navigator from 1.3.2 a couple years ago :P

Win Navigator does exist, but it is sure a buggy thing if you've ever seen one. I understand completely why that never got released.

To say it was "crashy" (as I heard it described here before) is putting it lightly. As a proof of concept though, very cool.

The flexible GUI is coming....

With regards to everything else I think you are pretty much on your own. Scrap that SONOS for a C4 amp and there you go...it now controls your audio. It sounds to me like the only thing you really want is a flexibile GUI, and an app to control it all on your PC. The flexible GUI is coming, and something tells me that once that comes (flash based) getting a PC based navigator will be much easier.

Personally it's not holding much back in my opinion, it is a killer product.

To right it will be a killer product. Precisely what is needed! Exactly the same sort of Flash based product has just been released by Clipsal Integrated Systems (CIS) to control their cbus lighting/HVAC/power/security systems. It is causing a huge sensation over here in Australia. Awesome product. This is great news. What Flash does is unshackle the control.....Bring it on C4!!! Please!:D:D:D:D

Until something is officially announced, it's probably a bad idea to speculate.

RyanE

Suite yourself Ryan.

But can't you see the excitement that even "the potential" of a flash GUI might leash onto any die hard homeauto customer! :)

Suddenly we don't have to compromise (like we have been to date). We can run it on our networks. From our computers. We also get to edit the GUI the way WE want it...not the way some distant company thinks we run out houses (without the help of a rep....who may or may not be available.)

This is the future Ryan...please don't spoil the party! Be like taking Candy from a baby!!! Don't do this to us Ryan!:D

Suddenly we don't have to compromise (like we have been to date). We can run it on our networks. From our computers. We also get to edit the GUI the way WE want it...not the way some distant company thinks we run out houses (without the help of a rep....who may or may not be available.)

Just because it has flash does not mean that you the homeowner will be able to a) run it on your network; B) run it on your computer; or c) edit the GUI.

I am excited about the advancements the the Control4 system has made and the great things to come. I just would not get too excited least you are ready for the possibility that the things you wish can be done are more difficult and costly that you expect.

I have no insight into exactly what 2.0 will bring. New features of 2.0 will be previewed at CEDIA in September. There will be plenty of press coverage so we will all have more info very soon.

Wappinghigh, Maybe soon C4 will release the driver for Clipsal. I think a hybrid system with CIS and C4 would be the best of both worlds. Use Clipsals color touch screens and DLT's and use C4 for audio and video distribution. Would Be Nice.

Actually this is exactly what I do. Clipsal for lighting/HVAC/cameras/secuirty. C4 for A/V (home Cinema and TV control in other rooms). Sonos for Multiroom Audio.

Control4 corporate is not working on a driver for Clipsal, as it's not a system used in the US, although C4 some in AU/NZ had been working on them, and I don't know the status.

RyanE

Ryan. As far as I am aware CIS does sell lighting systems etc in the US. They are now owned by Schneider electrical. Lighting/HVAC/and power relay's are Clipsal's strong point. Also I'm just about to do use the C4 driver. Will let you know how it goes....

OK, how about this... It's not one of the *major* lighting systems in the US at the moment.

Control4 has not released a Clipsal driver, as far as I know, and is not working on one. There are some drivers available, from 3rd parties (including C4AU, I believe).

RyanE

Archived