C4 Forums | Control4

UPS Cyberpower OL1000RTXL2U

Anyone have experience with the above-mentioned unit?  I have standby generator and use a UPS to give me juice on my critical electronics for the 10-second delay between power loss and generator startup.  The unit I currently have, a Cyberpower PR500LCDRT1U, has been in place for about two years.  I learned the hard way (with this current storm and 4-day power outage) that the unit I have isn't designed to work with a standby generator due to inconsistent power frequency the genny puts out.  Example, when central air kicks in, there is a bit of a ramp on the genny and it is causing this unit to go nuts.  In layman terms, the UPS will sometimes switch to battery on a genny ramp and won't switch back.  Then it depletes the battery, starts beeping like crazy, and eventually shuts off, killing all power to my critical devices while it recharges.  Only to repeat the cycle all over again.

Thinking the battery was faulty, i called Cyber tech support - they were very great BTW.  The told me that the PR isn't a good fit for generator use as it's too sensitive.  They suggested the OL unit.

Would love to hear if anyone is using the OL and if there are other suggestions or guidance on this.  Only restriction is I need it to be rack-mount as I don't have space for anything else.  By way of note, I do have a WattBox WB-400-CE-10 in the rack too, which powers some non-critical stuff.

Thanks, let me know if you need further info to answer!

• 3 months later...

I just saw this post while investigating whether there are C4 drivers for Cyberpower units.  I can tell you I had nearly the exact same experience as you - in my case I was running an OR500LCDRM1U.  Half way through a 7 day outage a couple years ago it freaked out exactly as you're describing.  I replaced it with the OL1000RTXL2U that you're asking about here.  It 100% solved the problem.  We haven't had another 7 day outage but we have been out for 4 days on this new UPS and it had no issues at all.  You have to enable the "generator" setting which makes it more tolerant of the generator power.  Frankly our generator power is already very good - we have two Kohlers and nothing else has an issue but it is what it is.  The price and weight are far greater than the old one - and it requires a 4 post rack not a two post rack.  I also installed the RMCARD205 which adds network connectivity which is nice.  Highly recommend the upgrade - over the top for powering the rack for the 8-10 seconds before the generators kick on but no issues whatsoever with UPS errors now.  Hope this is helpful for you (even if it is a bit of a late response).....

I have a cyber power UPS not sure the model but its similar to yours... PRDC i thought and 1300watts.  I have a backup generator also but this is why I use a Honda inverter type backup generator.   Clean signal to my electronics.   I imagine any UPS will have problems cleaning up a non inverter type electrical signal coming into the home.

I ended up grabbing the OL1000RTXL2U.  Haven't had a major power outage since so can't say for sure if problem is solved.  Curious, how do I enable "generator" setting?  Don't remember reading about that in the manual.

56 minutes ago, Dueport said:

You have to enable the "generator" setting which makes it more tolerant of the generator power.  

56 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

I have a cyber power UPS not sure the model but its similar to yours... PRDC i thought and 1300watts.  I have a backup generator also but this is why I use a Honda inverter type backup generator.   Clean signal to my electronics.   I imagine any UPS will have problems cleaning up a non inverter type electrical signal coming into the home.

The Kohlers have excellent power output too - top of the line standby generators.  The interesting thing in our case was that the original cyberpower UPS I was using was totally fine for 4 days then it freaked out as described in the OP.  If memory serves, I think there was something at the time that I found on a forum or their support saying that this is not uncommon for them - the tiny changes produced by any generator eventually (over an extended outage) cause them to freak out so you need a higher end model cyberpower that has more complex processing to handle very extended generator power.

17 minutes ago, joecheech said:

I ended up grabbing the OL1000RTXL2U.  Haven't had a major power outage since so can't say for sure if problem is solved.  Curious, how do I enable "generator" setting?  Don't remember reading about that in the manual.

The sales sheet for this model says "The OL1000RTXL2U offers generator compatibility and delivers clean AC power with zero transfer time. Its sine wave output keeps sensitive equipment working by preventing unnecessary shutdowns that can occur with simulated sine wave output....Provides stable sine wave output (free of harmonics and distortion) without switching to battery mode when running on generator input power."  I'm not an electrical engineer (far.....far from it) so this is the best explanation I could find - I'm sure there are others in this forum that understand the technicalities of what this mode is doing.

"Generator Mode" is enabled in the configuration settings on the UPS.  See Page 12 of the online manual.  Hope that's helpful!

3 hours ago, Dueport said:

The Kohlers have excellent power output too - top of the line standby generators.  The interesting thing in our case was that the original cyberpower UPS I was using was totally fine for 4 days then it freaked out as described in the OP.  If memory serves, I think there was something at the time that I found on a forum or their support saying that this is not uncommon for them - the tiny changes produced by any generator eventually (over an extended outage) cause them to freak out so you need a higher end model cyberpower that has more complex processing to handle very extended generator power.

Indeed Kohlers are top end.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.