C4 Forums | Control4

Intercom Anywhere - Doorbird or lock and camera?

Waring192

Hello,

I read that the Doorbird works with Control4's Intercom Anywhere? If so, does it display video on the T3's, Tablets etc? If that does also can you press a button to unlock the door in the app like the August or similar?

If none of the above work could I use a POE doorbell (without video) or lock (with button press) that activates a video feed from a camera above the door for 2 way conversation and then unlock the door using Control4? Could this be done using the Agent Bundle? https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/utility/agent-bundle/

18 minutes ago, Waring192 said:

Hello,

I read that the Doorbird works with Control4's Intercom Anywhere? If so, does it display video on the T3's, Tablets etc? If that does also can you press a button to unlock the door in the app like the August or similar?

If none of the above work could I use a POE doorbell (without video) or lock (with button press) that activates a video feed from a camera above the door for 2 way conversation and then unlock the door using Control4? Could this be done using the Agent Bundle? https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/utility/agent-bundle/

I don’t believe it works with intercom anywhere.  DS2, 2n, comelit and 1 other do.  At least from the last public release I read. 

You need something with SIP to get 2 way video and audio on the t3.  Those agents can send you texts or emails with still photos if someone were to ring the PoE doorbell but you can do that in c4 without those agents

that said I believe there is a doorbird driver.  Why not buy and use it?  It’s cheaper than the agents bundle you referenced

https://drivercentral.io/product-spotlight/doorbirdv2/

3 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

I don’t believe it works with intercom anywhere.  DS2, 2n, comelit and 1 other do.  At least from the last public release I read. 

You need something with SIP to get 2 way video and audio on the t3.  Those agents can send you texts or emails with still photos if someone were to ring the PoE doorbell but you can do that in c4 without those agents

that said I believe there is a doorbird driver.  Why not buy and use it?  It’s cheaper than the agents bundle you referenced

https://drivercentral.io/product-spotlight/doorbirdv2/

Hello,

Thanks for the quick reply. I did see that driver: https://drivercentral.io/product-spotlight/doorbirdv2/ and it states a few things, I have listed the important ones:

1. With the DoorBird driver, customers can easily and conveniently see who is at the door, grant or deny access to their home by triggering a smart lock, and play back surveillance video all in the Control4 interface.
  2. Includes intercom support on Control4 touchscreens (including Intercom Anywhere). 
  3. Open Smart Doorlock from Doorbird app. (does that mean you can unlock the smart lock in Intercom Anywhere?)

Questions on the above:

Does the Intercom Anywhere work on tablets etc?

1. N/A
  2. Does that mean you can unlock Control4 compatible smart locks from the Intercom Anywhere App or the Doorbird App? Why would you not just use the Control4 smart lock driver?
  3. Does that mean you can do it within the Control4 Intercom Anywhere App as suggested in number 1 above: grant or deny access to their home by triggering a smart lock, and play back surveillance video all in the Control4 interface.

The reason I life the idea of the Unifi Camera, smart lock etc is that I already use 4 Unifi Cameras using Unifi Protect and there is a Unifi Protect driver now. The picture quality is better on the Unifi cameras and to be honest the Doorbird D101 is not the nicest look device. 

1 hour ago, Waring192 said:

Hello,

Thanks for the quick reply. I did see that driver: https://drivercentral.io/product-spotlight/doorbirdv2/ and it states a few things, I have listed the important ones:

1. With the DoorBird driver, customers can easily and conveniently see who is at the door, grant or deny access to their home by triggering a smart lock, and play back surveillance video all in the Control4 interface.
  2. Includes intercom support on Control4 touchscreens (including Intercom Anywhere). 
  3. Open Smart Doorlock from Doorbird app. (does that mean you can unlock the smart lock in Intercom Anywhere?)

Questions on the above:

Does the Intercom Anywhere work on tablets etc?

1. N/A
  2. Does that mean you can unlock Control4 compatible smart locks from the Intercom Anywhere App or the Doorbird App? Why would you not just use the Control4 smart lock driver?
  3. Does that mean you can do it within the Control4 Intercom Anywhere App as suggested in number 1 above: grant or deny access to their home by triggering a smart lock, and play back surveillance video all in the Control4 interface.

The reason I life the idea of the Unifi Camera, smart lock etc is that I already use 4 Unifi Cameras using Unifi Protect and there is a Unifi Protect driver now. The picture quality is better on the Unifi cameras and to be honest the Doorbird D101 is not the nicest look device. 

I believe within the app there is a button you can configure to unlock a smart lock. So if you are talking to someone you don’t have to close the app, launch the standard c4 app to open the door.  You can do it from the intercom anywhere app. 

intercom anywhere only works on phones - not tablets.  C4 doesn’t want to cannibalize their sales of touchscreens. 

23 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

I believe within the app there is a button you can configure to unlock a smart lock. So if you are talking to someone you don’t have to close the app, launch the standard c4 app to open the door.  You can do it from the intercom anywhere app. 

intercom anywhere only works on phones - not tablets.  C4 doesn’t want to cannibalize their sales of touchscreens. 

Ahh I see.

When you mean 'within the app' you talking about the Control4 app?

So the Doorbird (with driver) would function similar the Control4 doorbell but not look as good?

2 minutes ago, Waring192 said:

Ahh I see.

When you mean 'within the app' you talking about the Control4 app?

So the Doorbird (with driver) would function similar the Control4 doorbell but not look as good?

Control4 has 2 apps

regular control app and the intercom anywhere.  If you have a doorstation with c4 integration then your doorstation rings the intercom anywhere app.  In that app when you see the video there is a button that can unlock a door

regarding looks - that’s a personal decision.  

the public c4 announcement a year ago didn’t mention doorbird support with intercom anywhere.  The driver says it will work so maybe it changed

video of intercom anywhere app with the button to unlock a door (and you can do lights etc)

3 hours ago, eggzlot said:

Control4 has 2 apps

regular control app and the intercom anywhere.  If you have a doorstation with c4 integration then your doorstation rings the intercom anywhere app.  In that app when you see the video there is a button that can unlock a door

regarding looks - that’s a personal decision.  

the public c4 announcement a year ago didn’t mention doorbird support with intercom anywhere.  The driver says it will work so maybe it changevideo of intercom anywhere app with the button to unlock a door (and you can do lights etc)

Yep I get that cheers. I have the intercom app on my iPhone and also my MacBook (for testing) and the Control4 apps on my iPhone and iPad. Is there a Windows and/or macOS application for 3.0? Im having to use Bluestacks on my MacBook to emulate Control4 app and Intercom Anywhere. Hmm, that's the thought, if the Doorbird works well (I have one already but just not wired up yet as not 100% sure if I like it compared to Ring Elite, Nest Hello and the new UniFi Protect Doorbell (https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-protect/products/uvc-g4-doorbell). If there was a driver for the UniFi Protect Doorbell like the Doorbird I would snap it up straight away...

Next step is to pick up a lock and I think I shall be going with the August one as it integrates well apparently...anyone else have some input on it? Im after a snappy response from the doorbell and lock.

Cheers for your help.

Just now, lippavisual said:

DoorBird works with all your questions.  Can even program the lock button on the doorbird app to control a smart lock.

D101 was their original least expensive unit.  They have a much nicer looking version now.

Cheers for the info.

I do already have the D101 like I mentioned but was not 100% sure on looks etc but now I know the functionality its a winner over the Ring devices (even the Ring Elite).

I would like to paint the front Polycarbonate housing if possible as it looks very tacky as it. Is this something that's possible? I looked on the Doorbird website and could not find any metal covers to swap so the next step would be to maybe sand is slightly and paint it in a metallic colour to match the August Smart Lock Pro I just bought. What would be the process of this?

4 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Also, I’d rather use DB app then IA app.  DB can also be used on tablets. 

I do have it running it on a tablet...I can either use Splashtop (Remote Desktop) to stream a Windows 10 VM from my Unraid server that has Bluestacks running (Android Emulator) so I can have Intercom Anywhere on my iPads around the house although I do have a Control4 7" tabletop T3 Screen and I'm considering installing my 10" wall mount T3 Screen but I have not decided as yet...

Where do most people install their wall mount screens? 

21 hours ago, lippavisual said:

They do have a skin for the D101.  Basically a brushed nickel plate that sticks to the polycarbonate.  If you google DS101 (I believe) that is what it’ll look like.  That’s what I have as well.

Cheers, just found it and ordered it! Its a steal at 29 euros! If it was Control4 it would be more like £100+!

Just now, Waring192 said:

I do have it running it on a tablet...I can either use Splashtop (Remote Desktop) to stream a Windows 10 VM from my Unraid server that has Bluestacks running (Android Emulator) so I can have Intercom Anywhere on my iPads around the house although I do have a Control4 7" tabletop T3 Screen and I'm considering installing my 10" wall mount T3 Screen but I have not decided as yet...

Where do most people install their wall mount screens? 

I have a few wall mount screens in entry ways - foyer when entering from the front door, an area that is between a basement gym and entry from the garage, and one in my kitchen on the wall next to the doors leading to the patio.  the other one is in the master bedroom, not near any exit doors.  we have a wireless tabletop one in our office on the 2nd floor.  Our thought was by entry/exit is a good place because we do not have any alarm keypads showing, so by the door you can get access to the alarm functions, turn things on/off when coming/going, etc.  Its also helpful to have intercom function near the gym, master bedroom, 2nd floor office and kitchen as those are heavy use areas where we could not respond quickly to the door ringing. really depends on your layout and how you use the rooms.

2 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

I have a few wall mount screens in entry ways - foyer when entering from the front door, an area that is between a basement gym and entry from the garage, and one in my kitchen on the wall next to the doors leading to the patio.  the other one is in the master bedroom, not near any exit doors.  we have a wireless tabletop one in our office on the 2nd floor.  Our thought was by entry/exit is a good place because we do not have any alarm keypads showing, so by the door you can get access to the alarm functions, turn things on/off when coming/going, etc.  Its also helpful to have intercom function near the gym, master bedroom, 2nd floor office and kitchen as those are heavy use areas where we could not respond quickly to the door ringing. really depends on your layout and how you use the rooms.

Sounds like you have a few! I have ethernet running through the house but would mean chasing down most of the walls as they are nearly all supporting walls downstairs. Fine to do but messy. 

3 hours ago, Waring192 said:

Sounds like you have a few! I have ethernet running through the house but would mean chasing down most of the walls as they are nearly all supporting walls downstairs. Fine to do but messy. 

in 7 years I've had the walls open 2x.  So I did a lot of the wiring the first time around and the second time just a few more had to be run.  I am probably close to 80-90 ethernet runs in a 3600 sq ft house.  in basic rooms I have 2x2 ports, then in some rooms like my office I have 3x4 ports, plus 2 behind the TV, 1 for the Access Point and 1 for a camera so 16 ethernet wires just in that 1 room alone.   adds up fast but I planned a lot and when the walls were up it was easier/cost effective for the electrician to run it all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.