C4 Forums | Control4

Check Garage Door

ILoveControl

Question

Hi all,

Seems like I have a trigger happy user in the house or constant mistake having my garage door being opened by being pressed. While I am not worried about this during the day have found the door open during the night sometimes.

Trying to find a way that I can check if the garage door is open during a period of time say between 7pm to 8am if it is fire an event. Does anyone have a nice way of doing this?

4 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, ILoveControl said:

Hi all,

Seems like I have a trigger happy user in the house or constant mistake having my garage door being opened by being pressed. While I am not worried about this during the day have found the door open during the night sometimes.

Trying to find a way that I can check if the garage door is open during a period of time say between 7pm to 8am if it is fire an event. Does anyone have a nice way of doing this?

When anyone fails to close the garage door, I send an announcement over the speakers, "The garage door has been left open for 15 minutes."  Just restart a 15-minute timer every time the garage door opens, and stop the timer if the garage door closes.  If the timer expires, trigger the announcement. In your case, you can also condition the announcement on the time of day.  (You might also want to schedule a "garage door check" event to occur at 7pm, to handle the case where someone leaves the door open during the day and fails to close it.  The scheduled event would fire off an announcement if the garage door is open at that particular time.)

4 minutes ago, DLite said:

When anyone fails to close the garage door, I send an announcement over the speakers, "The garage door has been left open for 15 minutes."  Just restart a 15-minute timer every time the garage door opens, and stop the timer if the garage door closes.  If the timer expires, trigger the announcement. In your case, you can also condition the announcement on the time of day.  (You might also want to schedule a "garage door check" event to occur at 7pm, to handle the case where someone leaves the door open during the day and fails to close it.  The scheduled event would fire off an announcement if the garage door is open at that particular time.)

I like that, there is alot of activity during the day so wouldn't want to check during the day

3 minutes ago, ILoveControl said:

I like that, there is alot of activity during the day so wouldn't want to check during the day

Sure. In that case, only restart the timer if the door opens between 7p and 8am, and you should be set.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.