C4 Forums | Control4

Morning.  I need some assistance on my AVR.  This is for my living room system.  

Here is a breakdown of current equipment.         

TV - 77" LG OLED

AVR - ARCAM AVR20

C4 – EA3

Audio – LCR is Martin Logan SL3 and Theater Center.  Surrounds are in ceiling Martin logan MC6 in ceiling (x 4) and rears are Martin Logan MC8 in ceiling (x2)

AMP – Emotiva XPA5 Gen 3

Misc – PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch, Raspberry pi, Nvidia Shield.

The AVR is hooked up to the EA3 via rs232.  Everything else is hardwired ethernet (gigabit) to my equipment room POE switch. 

Prior to this AVR, I had a Marantz SR6015, which worked fine, but I got a good deal on the Arcam, so decided to upgrade.

The Arcam is great.  Love the connections, the sound, the looks, everything.  BUT it is ridiculously slow in changing the volume through C4.  If I change the volume on the SR260, Neeo, t3, phone app, etc, it is so slow.  Like I hit volume down and 5 secs go by before it changes volume. That is IF I only hit it once.  If I try to quickly turn down the volume by holding the button, it goes crazy.  For instance, the volume is at 50.  I hold volume down, it goes from 50 to 48 then jumps to 57, then goes to 49, then to 45, then to 52, etc. 

Matt lowe (my dealer and does all setup) looked at it and said c4 is working as intended and that it may be a defective unit.  I updated the unit to newest firmware, net protocol, etc.  Still does it.  If I use the regular AVR remote, it is perfect.  So it seems that it has something to do with C4.  Is arcam integration just not good? 

I would say i will just live with this, but the wife will not.  She already questions my spending on C4 and the last thing i need is something not working properly.

What can I do? 

I am ready to sell it and buy something different (I was thinking going Anthem).

Recommendations? 

Thanks!!

Have you tried the IP control?  

Do you happen to remember what firmware you unit came to you with?

Did this happen before your most current update? 

I haven't had this experience with my Arcam projects but also don't do a lot of AVR20s and move to separates with that many channels... high end AV processors are always a little twitchy unit to unit. 

4 hours ago, Control4Sucks said:

Have you tried the IP control?  

Do you happen to remember what firmware you unit came to you with?

Did this happen before your most current update? 

I haven't had this experience with my Arcam projects but also don't do a lot of AVR20s and move to separates with that many channels... high end AV processors are always a little twitchy unit to unit. 

i didnt try IP control.  I was told to have it setup with RS232.   nope, this has been since I bought it, not since the most recent update.  It shipped with a very old firmware that I needed to have support help with.  It was Host 0.76/09 Net 0.100.191

What separates do you recommend?

3 hours ago, Zappbranagan said:

i didnt try IP control.  I was told to have it setup with RS232.   nope, this has been since I bought it, not since the most recent update.  It shipped with a very old firmware that I needed to have support help with.  It was Host 0.76/09 Net 0.100.191

What separates do you recommend?

Depends on the setup..

Emotiva's w/ AV40 (Heavy power systems) 

Yamaha 11.2 preamp with Parasound amplifiers (11.2 option) 

AVR10 w/ Arcam with PA240  (11.1 option)

Denon 6XXX (AVR 11.2 option) 

Yamaha 2080 (AVR 9.2 option)

Not a big fan of Marantz, especially their AVRs.  

JBL is a more expensive version of Arcam 

I don't like Paradigm speakers or ARC correction so I no longer deal much with Anthem but there's no argument for its performance. There is a huge amount of demand currently for them. 

IP control for sure would be the better option
having said that, there may be a configuration issue with the RS232 connection though. assuming the RS232 is wired correctly which i assume it is because it does sort of work then it could also be the transmit speed between C4 

do other functions of the AVR also take as long?

• 2 weeks later...

The newer Arcam AVRs NEED a firmware update before they will work well with Control4. We did an install where I had exact same behaviour as described, it was awful to use as everything was taking 5-25 seconds to respond. A firmware update made it work perfectly (using serial). 

We also always use serial for Arcams, having been caught out by IP control failures with the previous generation. It also means the Control4 can be online when you run the mic setup as it doesn't clash with the setup program for control of the AVR's NIC.

There is an issue with their rs-232 driver. We've been complaining for months and have given up... actually I don't think it's an issue with the C4 side as it's acting properly, the AVR is where the problem is occurring........Use the ip driver...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.