C4 Forums | Control4

Roku, Control4 HDMI CEC

Quick question, I want to use my Roku Ultra remote to control the volume of my AVR through HDMI CEC...

Currently I have a Control4 SR 260 remote which controls everything perfectly.

When  I use my Roku I find the smaller remote more comfortable and better for my kids to use.

For me to activate the HDMI CEC I have to activate it on my Sony TV (Bravia sync), my question and concern,  I wasn’t sure if I activate HDMI CEC will it interfere or mess up any settings with my Control4 remote etc?

Thank you.

uhhh. answered a little too fast maybe? 😄

HDMI CEC will turn things on and off and switch inputs etc independent from Control4, with likely no way  for the system to (accurately) know the state anymore. Add to that in case of distributed systems with video switches outputs and inputs may or may not get turned off, and CEC can sometimes even wildly travel across video switches causing some very weird issues (think, turn off TV in living room, master tv turns off as well while the basement theatre receiver turns on.....).

C4 itself doesn't support CEC control from it's controller (not even sure it's possible?) - so in most cases (basically excepting cases where video switches have built-in CEC control that C4 can utilize via the driver) it's best to shut it off to prevent multiple layers (or planes, maybe plains..to prevent pains? 🤣) of control.

It's not that C4 'doesn't play nice' with CEC as such, it's that you're creating conflict in who controls what.

• 5 months later...

I see that my dealer (the old one who went out of business) has my setup as follows:

1. ARC HDMI from TV to ARC HDMI on Integra AVR

2. CEC and ARC both "on" or "yes" in the AVR setup.

Could I just add ther optical cable and turn off the CEC and ARC "on" and "yes" answers? I have some weird control issues every now and then and wonder from this thread if I would have more reliable system doing that.

Do I need my current dealer to do this? I am capable of physically adding the cable and assigning TV audio source to optical in the AVR settings. 

CEC being on is likely to create some of those issues yes - unfortunately, in most cases it NEEDS to be on to enable ARC (only recently has this been changing) so you can't disable one without the other.

And yes, a solution would be to use an optical cable from the TV - provided you indeed assign the input to the same source as ARC is using now, no dealer involvement is likely needed.

Just note that depending on the TV you may need to change it's output settings as well, and I would suggest turning CEC off on the TV as well, or the per-existing link may cause some weird issues (uncommon - but not impossible)

11 hours ago, Cyknight said:

CEC being on is likely to create some of those issues yes - unfortunately, in most cases it NEEDS to be on to enable ARC (only recently has this been changing) so you can't disable one without the other.

And yes, a solution would be to use an optical cable from the TV - provided you indeed assign the input to the same source as ARC is using now, no dealer involvement is likely needed.

Just note that depending on the TV you may need to change it's output settings as well, and I would suggest turning CEC off on the TV as well, or the per-existing link may cause some weird issues (uncommon - but not impossible)

Thanks Cyknight. I have this situation in two rooms and will add optical, turn off CEC and ARC on both the AVRs and TVs and see what happens. I have begun photographing the physical connections and the OSD settings of the AVRs before making changes to make sure I can go backwards if I have to). Thanks again.

One other question on cabling. I have two Sonos connects. The old dealer had one connectedo an AVR with RCA analog cables and the other connected to a different AVR with coax. Do you know which is right? I hear no difference in sound quality. (Both AVRs have the alternative connection unused.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.