C4 Forums | Control4

Is it possible to control a Rasmussen Gas Fireplace with C4?

zaphod

Zaphod- anything's possible! You could always take apart the RF remote and solder leads to the on and off switches and connect those to the relay outputs of a HC200/300/500 or Contact extender, and wire up a constant power supply instead of using batteries. But, I'd be careful controlling a gas fireplace through a hacked together method. I'm sure there's a better answer than mine (e.g. a Proper Way =) ) but I'd imagine it's doable.

Most remote fireplaces have options for low voltage contact controls, either on the control unit itself or on a daughter board that replaces the RF based control option. Find out the model number and have a look at the options manual to see what will work for you.

I have the option of remote control with thermostat or contacts on my gas logs, but I haven't bothered to wire it into C4 since we rarely use the fireplace.

I had 2 fireplaces in my house hooked up through control 4. I now only have 1 hooked up after the house almost burned down (I control the other one manually)!

My 1 fireplace is completely contained sealed unit where you don't have to control the flu, it works no problem with C4.

My other fireplace was a normal woodburning fireplace that I put a gas log into, but you still had to open and close the flu manually. When we were gone one day the C4 for some unknown reason turned both fireplaces on, the one with the manual flu opperation ran for about 5 hours with the flu closed and the glass doors closed, when we got home the fireplace door was starting to melt. We were totally lucky it did not start a fire. In hind sight it seems totally obvious not to automate a fireplace that has a manual flu opperations.....but thought I would point out just in case on this thread.

Archived