C4 Forums | Control4

iPad App Stability

We did a takeover recently where the client is using an iPad as a touch screen. Ordinarily we don't support these features, but I'm trying to help him out. 

The area is served with very strong WiFi via a Ruckus/Access A650 and the iPad itself consistently reports very strong speeds. All other features seem to work fine. The Control4 app often has to be opened and quit several times before it finally connects.

What I'm curious about is - beyond general WIFi stability - is there some threshold that the iOS app is looking for? I was thinking of writing a direct route from the iPad to the EA5.

Anyone encounter this and come up with a good solution?

2 hours ago, CTMatthew said:

We did a takeover recently where the client is using an iPad as a touch screen. Ordinarily we don't support these features, but I'm trying to help him out. 

The area is served with very strong WiFi via a Ruckus/Access A650 and the iPad itself consistently reports very strong speeds. All other features seem to work fine. The Control4 app often has to be opened and quit several times before it finally connects.

What I'm curious about is - beyond general WIFi stability - is there some threshold that the iOS app is looking for? I was thinking of writing a direct route from the iPad to the EA5.

Anyone encounter this and come up with a good solution?

They on the latest OS for C4? I know there have been lots of connection/lag issues w apple products in the last year or so and one of the last updates seems to have significantly improved/fixed it. 

On 6/22/2021 at 2:44 PM, Neo1738 said:

They on the latest OS for C4? I know there have been lots of connection/lag issues w apple products in the last year or so and one of the last updates seems to have significantly improved/fixed it. 

Unfortunately they're up to date on the app. I hate to give the answer that it's an Apple product and there's nothing we can do, but without any deeper insights into the relationship between the app, the hardware, the network, and the controller I guess that's the answer. 

I have this happen all of the time with an iPad mini that is wall mounted.

It either loads almost instantly or not at all and you get the "Connecting To My Control4 System" message...

When it looks to be going nowhere, clicking cancel and then reconnecting is much faster than waiting.  Granted, this is a subpar solution for a customer, but it works.  Meanwhile C4 should really get it together to make the iOS app faster and more reliable on connection.

47 minutes ago, anon2828 said:

I have this happen all of the time with an iPad mini that is wall mounted.

It either loads almost instantly or not at all and you get the "Connecting To My Control4 System" message...

When it looks to be going nowhere, clicking cancel and then reconnecting is much faster than waiting.  Granted, this is a subpar solution for a customer, but it works.  Meanwhile C4 should really get it together to make the iOS app faster and more reliable on connection.

Sometimes the problem is on Apple's end too. Not saying in this case specifically but C4 can only do so much with what Apple provides. 

6 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

Sometimes the problem is on Apple's end too. Not saying in this case specifically but C4 can only do so much with what Apple provides. 

Because all of my other 3rd party apps on iOS take 1-2 minutes to actually open.  Not.  I love Control4 as much as the next guy, but this is something that Control4 clearly needs to fix, and telling customers to purchase an expensive C4 Touchscreen is not an appropriate customer-centric response.

12 hours ago, anon2828 said:

telling customers to purchase an expensive C4 Touchscreen is not an appropriate customer-centric response.

Why?  We do that all the time, explain the value, and sell tons of "expensive C4 touchscreens".  I can't remember a single customer who wishes they didn't buy a touchscreen. 

12 hours ago, anon2828 said:

Because all of my other 3rd party apps on iOS take 1-2 minutes to actually open.  Not.  I love Control4 as much as the next guy, but this is something that Control4 clearly needs to fix, and telling customers to purchase an expensive C4 Touchscreen is not an appropriate customer-centric response.

end user here - but if its a tablet for C4 purposes why not try a cheap Android tablet?  If this is so specific to C4 just loading slow in iOS, give Android a try.  And yes, I am an end user, and yes I use iOS its fine for me.  I have touchscreens (its a better always on experience with intercom support) but aside from the app, C4 offers a touch screen, SR/Neeo remotes and On Screen GUI, you have a lot of options to control the system just from C4 alone.  Then you can look into Alexa/Google/HomeKit for additional options to control your system.  

Just because it's one app not working right doesn't always mean it's C4 or the app's fault. Sometimes Apple may change something on the backend (security, ports, etc etc) that may slow things down and there could be nothing C4 could do about it until they open something up. Not to mention Apple purposefully slowing devices via software updates to "protect battery life" etc. This type of thing never happens. I say this because we have many apple devices in our house and they work fine w C4. No lag any more, no failed loads etc. So to flat out say it's C4 and not the customers setup/device is setting both of you up for failure. Have an open mind and troubleshoot the problem, bring another ipad in and hook it up see if same problem etc. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.