C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 dimmer panels

drmark12pa

Question

Has anyone been using the C4 dimmer panels to control up to 8 lights/dimmers?  I'm in processing of designing an addition that will also include a bigger theater area, game room, kitchenette/bar.  Just wondering if this option is a more affordable and easier way to go that traditional C4 light switches.

8 answers to this question

1 hour ago, drmark12pa said:

Has anyone been using the C4 dimmer panels to control up to 8 lights/dimmers?  I'm in processing of designing an addition that will also include a bigger theater area, game room, kitchenette/bar.  Just wondering if this option is a more affordable and easier way to go that traditional C4 light switches.

Yes, work great in my holiday home.  I can’t comment on the economics as I never really looked at it that way.

8 hours ago, drmark12pa said:

Just wondering if this option is a more affordable and easier way to go that traditional C4 light switches.

It'll depend on the electrical wiring cost and intend.

One adaptive phase module is roughly 6 Adaptive phase dimmers, but then there's panel, rails etc so in the end for 8 lights, you may at best even out (if you can find a single rail DIN panel). Then there's the likely need for a few keypads - in a small situation like yours standard wireless keypads are more economical.

Wiring CAN be cheaper in centralized lighting, though I've seen electrician charge MORE for it (they really shouldn't).

If you're doing 8 lights and wall clutter isn't a concern, you're most likely cheaper off using standard APD dimmers or even Keypad dimmers.

Panelized lighting really doesn't start potentially becoming economical until you start filling up at least a small C4 panel (3 modules) and do a handful of wireless keypads (use low voltage wiring and the wall plug power supply for them to save cost) smartly placed.

I'm assuming you want the 'Gen3' look as this is addition, but if you're looking to save on upfront cash, the Essential line is the way to go.

Do note that they consume considerably more power 'idling' - it's not terribly much as such, but it's still numerous times over what the 'Gen3s' use.

9 hours ago, Cyknight said:

It'll depend on the electrical wiring cost and intend.

One adaptive phase module is roughly 6 Adaptive phase dimmers, but then there's panel, rails etc so in the end for 8 lights, you may at best even out (if you can find a single rail DIN panel). Then there's the likely need for a few keypads - in a small situation like yours standard wireless keypads are more economical.

Wiring CAN be cheaper in centralized lighting, though I've seen electrician charge MORE for it (they really shouldn't).

If you're doing 8 lights and wall clutter isn't a concern, you're most likely cheaper off using standard APD dimmers or even Keypad dimmers.

Panelized lighting really doesn't start potentially becoming economical until you start filling up at least a small C4 panel (3 modules) and do a handful of wireless keypads (use low voltage wiring and the wall plug power supply for them to save cost) smartly placed.

I'm assuming you want the 'Gen3' look as this is addition, but if you're looking to save on upfront cash, the Essential line is the way to go.

Do note that they consume considerably more power 'idling' - it's not terribly much as such, but it's still numerous times over what the 'Gen3s' use.

I didn't realize there was a more economical line even available (Essential).  What is the difference between these switches and the standard ones I've always used?  What is the price difference?

Price is half of the "Gen3" - difference are in a nutshell:

-There are no keypads in the line

-There is only forward phase dimming (and switches), though I should note that they handle LED very well

-Slightly different look (though not out of place in the same room, it'll be obvious if in the same gang)

-No engraving and LED feedback (other than a small LED on the bottom that gives direct load feedback)

-There are new 'outlet' options available, including in-wall receptacles and outdoor rated external ones, that fall under the essential line (and seem to go somewhat unspoken, but are arguably the best addition coming out of this line-up)

-Addition: I should stress that the cost reduction is in the upfront cost, one thing to keep in mind is the already mentioned higher 'idle' usage - in other words, they consume more power just being 'alive' (not sure how back-lighting would affect that number now that I'm writing this down, should check into that...)

To see what the dimmers look like:

https://www.control4.com/solutions/products/essential-lighting

I should note, you can mix and match any lighting products in a system as such, with the side note that the 'Gen3" Auxiliary keypads and Essential Auxiliary keypads are NOT interchangeable and must be used matching the 'model line' (in case some are unaware - AUX keypads are non-programmable cheap options for when one is replacing 3-way/stair/hotel lighting)

With the Essential line-up you could place them out of site (ie 2-3 in a room's closet) and get a "Gen3" keypad for a room to actually control them to keep the look more universal as well.

7 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Price is half of the "Gen3" - difference are in a nutshell:

-There are no keypads in the line

-There is only forward phase dimming (and switches), though I should note that they handle LED very well

-Slightly different look (though not out of place in the same room, it'll be obvious if in the same gang)

-No engraving and LED feedback (other than a small LED on the bottom that gives direct load feedback)

-There are new 'outlet' options available, including in-wall receptacles and outdoor rated external ones, that fall under the essential line (and seem to go somewhat unspoken, but are arguably the best addition coming out of this line-up)

To see what the dimmers look like:

https://www.control4.com/solutions/products/essential-lighting

I should note, you can mix and match any lighting products in a system as such, with the side note that the 'Gen3" Auxiliary keypads and Essential Auxiliary keypads are NOT interchangeable and must be used matching the 'model line' (in case some are unaware - AUX keypads are non-programmable cheap options for when one is replacing 3-way/stair/hotel lighting)

With the Essential line-up you could place them out of site (ie 2-3 in a room's closet) and get a "Gen3" keypad for a room to actually control them to keep the look more universal as well.

This.  I have used the Essential Line for a couple of switches that I have hidden in cupboards and also for some outside (covered switches) that are not in our main living areas (e.g. kennel lights - neither the dogs or my family notice the difference as this light switch is far away from all of the others, a pool pump room light etc).

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

-Addition: I should stress that the cost reduction is in the upfront cost, one thing to keep in mind is the already mentioned higher 'idle' usage - in other words, they consume more power just being 'alive' (not sure how back-lighting would affect that number now that I'm writing this down, should check into that...)

It seems weird that these would use more energy if the LED is not programmable and everything else seems the same.  If just a basic light switch used with C4 is needed, this would seems to be the best option.  Other than the LED that you can program for light color, is there really any difference (ie double taps, triple taps, etc) for function?

1 hour ago, drmark12pa said:

It seems weird that these would use more energy if the LED is not programmable and everything else seems the same.  If just a basic light switch used with C4 is needed, this would seems to be the best option.  Other than the LED that you can program for light color, is there really any difference (ie double taps, triple taps, etc) for function?

But it's NOT the same - the hardware inside is quite different.

The Gen3 lights are just that efficient, these are not. Want to stress that the essential units do not use a TON of power, but comparing the two it's a big difference (Gen 3 is I think less than 500mw, Essential is about 3w - that isn't a lot, but it's still over 6 times the amount.

As for function, no not a whole lot of difference in that. multitaps etc is all there (driver difference may seem a little odd at first as it creates a virtual button driver, but nothing most couldn't figure out in a second)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.