C4 Forums | Control4

Flush mount Doorbird replacement options

rea

So I had a flush-mount Doorbird installed at my house when it was built. It looked great and C4 integration was always great, but was always disappointed with the very lackluster video quality. In the last week, it seems my Doorbird won't reconnect to the network with multiple reboots of device and my network. My local dealer who installed the Doorbird, said they stopped carrying Doorbird because they had so many issues with them and this network drop-off was one of the most common things they would see. Based on this, it looks like I'm going to have to replace my current door station.

1) My current model is the D202. Has anyone had experience with the upgraded model (D1101)? It looks like they've upgraded the camera (I would hope!) and would fit right into my current back box. This would be the easiest option as I could just swap it out and would just have to re-program into C4. I just don't trust the durability of their products right now and was never impressed with the video quality in my current model. 

2) Anyone swap out to another flush mount option that they like? The DS2 looks nice, but video quality also seems to be poor on it...especially for the price. 

3) Anyone fill in their backbox space without masonry work and install a Chime and it look acceptable? 

This may not be exactly what you were looking for, but it might give you some ideas.  We actually cut out the rock to make room for a one of a kind custom made copper back plate to match the rest of the front exterior.   The copper back plate is wrapped around a base we supplied the metalsmith.  The edges are copper welded and polished, you can't see any edges.  The fit and finish on the copper plate is amazing.  

We then installed a flush mounted DS2 onto the back plate.  I think it worked out awesome, but I am a little biased 🙈

150686665_11-02-19Doorbell04.thumb.jpg.3082642891909d3207f26d2502553f66.jpg

My d202 has been rock solid for years now and the camera not that terrible.  I haven’t heard a video doorbell yet without problems or some folks unhappy so I guess it’s pick your poison.   My d202 was hardwired not Wi-Fi so maybe that has something to do with reliability.

2 hours ago, Jeff W said:

This may not be exactly what you were looking for, but it might give you some ideas.  We actually cut out the rock to make room for a one of a kind custom made copper back plate to match the rest of the front exterior.   The copper back plate is wrapped around a base we supplied the metalsmith.  The edges are copper welded and polished, you can't see any edges.  The fit and finish on the copper plate is amazing.  

We then installed a flush mounted DS2 onto the back plate.  I think it worked out awesome, but I am a little biased 🙈

Very cool.   Should’ve made a dozen and sold them :)

3 hours ago, Jeff W said:

That looks awesome...well done!

54 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

My d202 has been rock solid for years now and the camera not that terrible.  I haven’t heard a video doorbell yet without problems or some folks unhappy so I guess it’s pick your poison.   My d202 was hardwired not Wi-Fi so maybe that has something to do with reliability.

Mine was rock solid for almost 4 1/2 years until the last week. I have the PoE version as well so it's definitely not a Wifi issue. And I guess I wouldn't call the camera terrible, just not great. I know it doesn't help that mine is looking out through a covered porch and the Doorbird really struggles with the lighting. My $100 Eufy doorbell cam I have on a side door has a far superior camera so that may be why the Doorbird is a little disappointing. 

This all did happen after a big storm and multi-hour power outage so I am at least going to see if the PoE injector is the problem before I go through too much trouble replacing. The unit does beep when I press the physical button and the button still lights up so it still seems to be drawing power so guessing that's not my issue. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.