C4 Forums | Control4

New Installer/New House

papimata

jralime

I am in the planning stage for a new house and I am planning on installing a C4 system. But the cost of a video distribution system is more than expected or want to spend now. I can afford to run all the wiring I need. So you suggest I run 3 Cat5 cables and 3 coax cables to each TV location. I suppose I could use one of the coax cables now for basic cable and then when I get ready to install the video distribution system I could use the cat5 cables. Is this correct. What do you usually use the 3 coax cables for?

Also what about the motorized blinds? What type of cable do you run so that you can install the motorized blinds in the future? Do these also run off of a cat 5 cable?

I would run more Cat-5e, Cat-6 would probably be better. 5 Cat-5e or Cat-6 would be better. 2 can be used for Video, 1 for network, 1 for audio and 1 for a spare or for IR control. I ran 4 cat-5e and i coax to each of my TV locations. Since my basement and attic are very open it is easy for me to run more at any time if I need. Once the walls are closed up it can be hard to run wire.

I would also run conduit if possible. As least run some conduit from your equipment closets to various other areas of your house like attic spaces. If ou can get conduit to the TV locations that would be best.

Different motorized blinds need different kinds of wire. Some use 120 volt, so are low voltage. Some need additional control wires.

My advice is to run a LOT of wire. It is cheaper and easier to do now than later.

jralime

I am in the planning stage for a new house and I am planning on installing a C4 system. But the cost of a video distribution system is more than expected or want to spend now. I can afford to run all the wiring I need. So you suggest I run 3 Cat5 cables and 3 coax cables to each TV location. I suppose I could use one of the coax cables now for basic cable and then when I get ready to install the video distribution system I could use the cat5 cables. Is this correct. What do you usually use the 3 coax cables for?

Also what about the motorized blinds? What type of cable do you run so that you can install the motorized blinds in the future? Do these also run off of a cat 5 cable?

I would run more Cat-5e' date=' Cat-6 would probably be better. 5 Cat-5e or Cat-6 would be better. 2 can be used for Video, 1 for network, 1 for audio and 1 for a spare or for IR control. I ran 4 cat-5e and i coax to each of my TV locations. Since my basement and attic are very open it is easy for me to run more at any time if I need. Once the walls are closed up it can be hard to run wire.

I would also run conduit if possible. As least run some conduit from your equipment closets to various other areas of your house like attic spaces. If ou can get conduit to the TV locations that would be best.

Different motorized blinds need different kinds of wire. Some use 120 volt, so are low voltage. Some need additional control wires.

My advice is to run a LOT of wire. It is cheaper and easier to do now than later.[/quote']

I agree run a lot of wire. The 3 coax all depend on the type of video distribution you do. Since most of the time I'm doing component distribution, usually the three coax are my component video. But I usually have some sort of sound distribution in place already. Sometime 2 component will be left and right audio and then the video is sent over component baluns on one of the CAT5e. However if they are long runs, you probably won't use the coax as much. If you're going to do HDMI, CAT5e/6 baluns are the way to go since HDMI cable is so expensive. In this case, you probably won't use the coax at all.

If you can afford more wiring do it. The idea is to have options. It sounds a bit crazy, but if given the choice, I would run 6 coax and 5 CAT5e and 2 or possibly even 3 CAT6. Of course if you have good conduit or access to make another run with minimal trouble, then there is no reason to go this crazy, but if what you put in now is what you're stuck with....

My reasoning is this, 6 coax is what it takes for full distribution without baluns. 3 for component video 2 for stereo audio and 1 for digital audio. This also gives you the option of dropping digital audio if you find a wire is bad/stapled/otherwise damaged. The CAT5e gives you a TON of options, Video baluns, network, audio baluns, IR control, plus spare stuff. Having more gives you flexibility to do whatever you need. I'll often use a couple of them for network to avoid needing another switch. I've also had the situation where the cable, & internet both came in on fiber and were distributed using CAT5e. The cable had to be on a separate network than the rest of the gear, due to the way the cable company worked. So we had to run two network lines to each room.

Robert

Hello everyone,

I am a new member of this forum and thought that this would be a good starting point. I am well versed with home cinema systems and offer advice and installation services. However, I am very interested to learn about Control 4 very quickly as I have an opportunity in my hands and am interested to successfully accomplish it. Can anyone here please tell me if there are any books or training materials (DVD's etc) that I can buy and read ? Any useful and effective resources ? Online training programmes ?. As I am fairly busy with work, I may not be able to travel - so good training materials that I can buy or access online would be highly beneficial.

I am already in the process of looking at the various products (hardware) offered by C4, reading through forums, reading about composer. I have enough experience with networks to be able to set a home network infrastructure in a home provided I have clear instructions on what cables and hardware to implement. Although I am not an electrician, I often work with electricians on site and provide them with a clear brief of what is required. My immediate interest lies in whole house lighting, whole house music and Home Cinema equipment automation.

I'm sure many C4 experts here were in my shoes at some point and may be able to steer me in the right direction.

Any assistance provided will be much appreciated !!!

Hello everyone,

I am a new member of this forum and thought that this would be a good starting point. I am well versed with home cinema systems and offer advice and installation services. However, I am very interested to learn about Control 4 very quickly as I have an opportunity in my hands and am interested to successfully accomplish it. Can anyone here please tell me if there are any books or training materials (DVD's etc) that I can buy and read ? Any useful and effective resources ? Online training programmes ?. As I am fairly busy with work, I may not be able to travel - so good training materials that I can buy or access online would be highly beneficial.

Sam

C4 is a dealer serviced and installed product. It is not really a DIY system. The majority of training comes from C4 provided Tech I and Tech II classes. These training materials are only available to authorized C4 dealers. The Composer Pro software used to setup and configure a C4 system is only available to C4 dealers. There is a Composer HE (Home Edition) that allows you to do programming but Composer HE does not allow you to do the initial system install and setup.

^You don't necessarily need CAT5e for shade motors if you go wireless. Also, vetoing a video switcher will drive you to drink. Why don't you forget the blinds for now and sink your dollars into a switcher.

Distributed video is my family's favorite thong about C4. It's not cheap, but it's very cool.

Distributed video is not cheap. Very true I am looking at and 8X8 distributed system and it is going to be about $5,000. Is it really that cool.

The managed switch alone is $3,100. What managed switches is everyone using? What brand do you recommend? Do they all cost $3,100 or more?

Distributed video is not cheap. Very true I am looking at and 8X8 distributed system and it is going to be about $5,000. Is it really that cool.

The managed switch alone is $3,100. What managed switches is everyone using? What brand do you recommend? Do they all cost $3,100 or more?

I know distributed video is not cheap, as I already stated it is in my house and we love it. There are a lot of ways to do video distribution, and some cost more than others, but none of them are cheap.

It is all about what you're trying to do. If all you need is a DVD player, hey just buy one for every room, it's probably cheaper. However if you want to do anything like a DVD disc changer, multiple DVRs, etc. it really is "that cool" It also allows you to hide all your equipment in a rack buried in a server room out of site (which can be a big deal for some rooms)

Robert

Having spent the money on distributed video I'm not sure I would go the same route again actually... there are plusses and minuses. It is nice for satellite TV if you have the need to watch that in multiple rooms (4+) but it really is hard to justify the cost.

For any digital media (ripped blu-rays, DVDs, TV Shows, etc) a media player at each TV will run $100-200 per TV plus a single network cable run and single coax run. For satellite/cable its nice to only have 2 or 3 receivers in the basement and be able to watch them on 7 TVs, but even if I had to lease 7 receivers that would add $20-40/mo depending on provider and give independent control/sources on each TV. Plus Id have full HD via HDMI to each TV without any worry about compression and picture quality.

If you have a lot of physical discs and dont want to convert them to digital or its just not practical to do so then the distribution makes a bit more sense I guess.

EDIT: Also I guess I should point out Im basing this on designing a house for one system or the other, not retrofitting. If hiding equipment is important it is easy enough to still do that with a satellite receiver at each location if you plan ahead.

Having spent the money on distributed video I'm not sure I would go the same route again actually... there are plusses and minuses. It is nice for satellite TV if you have the need to watch that in multiple rooms (4+) but it really is hard to justify the cost.

For any digital media (ripped blu-rays, DVDs, TV Shows, etc) a media player at each TV will run $100-200 per TV plus a single network cable run and single coax run. For satellite/cable its nice to only have 2 or 3 receivers in the basement and be able to watch them on 7 TVs, but even if I had to lease 7 receivers that would add $20-40/mo depending on provider and give independent control/sources on each TV. Plus Id have full HD via HDMI to each TV without any worry about compression and picture quality.

If you have a lot of physical discs and dont want to convert them to digital or its just not practical to do so then the distribution makes a bit more sense I guess.

EDIT: Also I guess I should point out Im basing this on designing a house for one system or the other, not retrofitting. If hiding equipment is important it is easy enough to still do that with a satellite receiver at each location if you plan ahead.

Apparently you don't have Comcast. Each HD DVR is $18/mo.

Nope DISH network, receivers are $7-17/mo but the more expensive ones are the dual tuner DVR ones (although the second tuner cannot be viewed in HD but can record in HD). $18/mo is highway robbery... might as well buy your own box if you plan on keeping them for more than a year. A DVR is also not needed in each room (particularly if you have digitally accessible TV shows & movies on a media player in each location). For us we use the DVR for the family room and master bedroom, and I can see possibly using it in the basement. The remaining locations (kids rooms, guest room, playroom, pool table area, wetbar) are basically only live TV or digital media from the NAS.

This is why I only have one DVR. I have one DVR, one cable box, and then traditional old school cable available to each TV.

It's not an issue except for once in a while when both my wife and I each want to watch seperate programs on the DVR...this is pretty rare though.

I bet you win that one don't you? When you let your wife watch what she wants, you always win. At least thats what my wife says.

This is why I only have one DVR. I have one DVR, one cable box, and then traditional old school cable available to each TV.

It's not an issue except for once in a while when both my wife and I each want to watch seperate programs on the DVR...this is pretty rare though.

jralime

I would run more Cat-5e' date=' Cat-6 would probably be better. 5 Cat-5e or Cat-6 would be better. 2 can be used for Video, 1 for network, 1 for audio and 1 for a spare or for IR control. I ran 4 cat-5e and i coax to each of my TV locations. Since my basement and attic are very open it is easy for me to run more at any time if I need. Once the walls are closed up it can be hard to run wire.

My advice is to run a LOT of wire. It is cheaper and easier to do now than later.[/quote']

I am running wire now for my house. We are running 5 CAT5e to each location, but was not informed of the benefits of RG6 runs as well. What at the Rg6 for? Can they carry HD? I know this is a noob question but i want to make sure before drywall goes up.

^You don't necessarily need CAT5e for shade motors if you go wireless. Also' date=' vetoing a video switcher will drive you to drink. Why don't you forget the blinds for now and sink your dollars into a switcher.[/quote']

Distributed video is my family's favorite thong about C4. It's not cheap, but it's very cool.

he said thong. all the more reason to have automatic shade motors

jralime

I am running wire now for my house. We are running 5 CAT5e to each location, but was not informed of the benefits of RG6 runs as well. What at the Rg6 for? Can they carry HD? I know this is a noob question but i want to make sure before drywall goes up.

RG6 can carry component, so yes HD, but not HDMI and usually only up to 1080i. But it also can carry audio, & RF (cable/sat) Personally I like having both, but with 5 CAT5e you can do pretty much anything you want using baluns.

Robert

RG6 can carry component, so yes HD, but not HDMI and usually only up to 1080i. But it also can carry audio, & RF (cable/sat) Personally I like having both, but with 5 CAT5e you can do pretty much anything you want using baluns.

Robert

Thank you for the input/help!!

Archived