C4 Forums | Control4

Help deciding what to automate.

So, while reading these forums I have discovered many automations, both large and small. Things like turning on lights when its too dark are an obvious automation, but things like setting the preset light level based on the time of day were not. Both of these are helpful and make the house more enjoyable.

At the moment, I'm operating under the premise that things I do regularly under a certain conditions can be automated. Then I make a plan. Then execute.

That however misses things like the preset light level example.

I would love to hear people experiences of how they identify things to automate.

4 hours ago, gogogadget said:

So, while reading these forums I have discovered many automations, both large and small. Things like turning on lights when its too dark are an obvious automation, but things like setting the preset light level based on the time of day were not. Both of these are helpful and make the house more enjoyable.

At the moment, I'm operating under the premise that things I do regularly under a certain conditions can be automated. Then I make a plan. Then execute.

That however misses things like the preset light level example.

I would love to hear people experiences of how they identify things to automate.

Think about what you interact with daily, what you wish you didn’t have to press, etc.  A bit self serving as this is a thread I started but tons of great ideas here that can spark even more ideas/discussions

I've been lurking here for many years trying to get ideas. Whenever I think about "what can I automate", it comes down to one answer. What do I do repeatedly? 

Sure there are good ideas, I go set them up...then find I never use them because it's once in a blue moon. What really makes the system worth the effort are the repeatable little things and actions that your wife notices.....   

Lighting scenes like "backyard-night" that lights up the pool house and backyard. But also the little things, like when you unlock the back door, it turns on lights at night, or off when locking. Also have buttons for "doggie poo-poo" that turn on lights for the dog to see where she goes at night. Buttons for turning of the basement as you walk back upstairs. Again all based on things we do all the time - repeatidly.

My wife's a nurse and gets up very early...button for WORK, turn on a dim light in the hallway and kitchen and makes sure there's lights in the driveway, etc.... then turns them all off.

Find your patterns is the lesson I've learned.

As stated above, it’s all about identifying the habitual things one does then automating them. 

In my own home when my garage door opens, the garage overhead lights turn on automatically for 10 minutes, my hall lights turn on by motion, my kitchen lights turn on if it’s night time and my great room tv turns on… all I had to do was open the garage door

These are all things that I would’ve done manually every time I come home

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.