C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Audio Distribution Wiring

krris

hey folks, looking at having a few zones of audio installed and using either triad distribution amplifier TS-PAMP8-100.

its a new house im building. i am unsure of how this amplifier connects to the C4 controller. 

when I look at the Ea-5 data sheet for example, it says it has for audio out the following: 

5 audio out—1 HDMI, 2 stereo analog, 2 digital coax

but when i look at the back of the triad , it has 8 stereo inputs with one of them called a global IN. 

does this mean I just need to connect one of the pairs of stereo analog from the EA-5 into the TS-PAMP8-100 ? and Would that allow me to have multiple zones playing together out of the TS-PAMP8-100  which is ultimately what I want to acheive. 

TIA

Yes you could connect straight from the ea5 to the amp, and have 1 stream of audio played in all 8 zones at the same time and volume. 

But that's not the right configuration unless that's all you want. You really need a Triad audio matrix (8x8 or 16x16) in between which would allow you to control on/off for each zone and volume for each independently. 

PM me, i do have an 8x8 in stock if you need.  I can also help you with programming the system remotely. 

with the matrix, do you just connect 1 pair of stereo from the EA-5 to the matrix. then if you have 3 zones of audio, you connect 3 stereo pairs from the matrix to the amp?

is that how it works?

Sure, will ping you separately too.

yes basically.  that would give you one stream available in those 3 zones with independent zone control.  if you wanted more simultaneous streams so people could listen to different things in different zones at the same time, then you'd need to make more connections from the EA5 to the matrix.

29 minutes ago, krris said:

does that mean the EA5 is only limited to 2 simultaneous streams out since it only has 2 stereo analog out? what happens if you want 3,4 or 5 simultaneous streams?

You can connect all four outputs of the EA5 (2 analog, 2 digital) to inputs on your Triad Matrix.  

You then connect each input from your Triad PAMP to corresponding outputs on the Triad Matrix.

This configuration allows you to have 4 unique music streams playing at once in any number of zones.

Make sense?

The way that the controllers are named is that for an EA-X controller you have X audio connections.  Actually X-1 if you don't count HDMI and it isn't recommended to use HDMI for audio (for sync reasons) when you have multi-zone audio.  That's why I often mark a smartass comment that the correct name for the EA-1 controller should be an EA-0.

6 minutes ago, krris said:

can Triad amp take speaker wiring that is 14, 12 or even 10 gauge?

I haven't used those type of phoenix connectors before myself and from looking at pics , they appear very small. 

There is no reason to be putting anything less than 14 gage on a distribution amp. Really you shouldn’t need anything less than 16 unless you are doing a pretty long pull, 10” speakers or high power zone (200+wpc)

1 minute ago, chopedogg88 said:

I typically run 14/4 for whole home audio. Agreed, 12 or 10 is not necessary nor will it fit easily in those connectors. 

Yeah it seems like its 50/50 on pros. Again for me I havnt found much difference in regards to 6/8” speakers for distribution so it’s cheaper for everyone when you use 16g. I do a lot of (4) 4” aperture’s and an inceiling/wall sub which gets 14g but thats also an IP/AVB setup with CAT as well so there is extra cost there for that design. 

3 minutes ago, krris said:

by 16/4 or 14/4 do you mean 16 or 14 gauge with 4 wires (2 pairs) to each speaker? is this in case you use a DVC speaker?

I mean 16 AWG cable with 4 conductors (for 2 speakers).  For in-ceiling speakers, I typically run 16/4 to a room, split out 2 conductors at the "first" speaker, loop the cable, and then continue the run on to the "second" speaker.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.