C4 Forums | Control4

Making Custom Experience buttons

I started making custom icons in Experience buttons. It's kind of addicting!!! I have made about 40 and really happy we are able to customize projects. I want to alter the multi Experience button. Can't remember the exact name. The one with twelve different colors to choose from.

I would like to change the colors to names. For example, change them to Sat radio stations. or different security levels on  a security system. So when your setting up the driver I can read the new name. I know i can leave the color name and just change the icon but that could get confusing. Especially for the next guy

If I want tot change the color white to display something different can i just change all the "white" in the driver.xml file to the different name? Or do i have to change things in the driver.lua as well?

Any help would be appreciated 

TIA

25 minutes ago, minesparky72 said:

I started making custom icons in Experience buttons. It's kind of addicting!!! I have made about 40 and really happy we are able to customize projects. I want to alter the multi Experience button. Can't remember the exact name. The one with twelve different colors to choose from.

I would like to change the colors to names. For example, change them to Sat radio stations. or different security levels on  a security system. So when your setting up the driver I can read the new name. I know i can leave the color name and just change the icon but that could get confusing. Especially for the next guy

If I want tot change the color white to display something different can i just change all the "white" in the driver.xml file to the different name? Or do i have to change things in the driver.lua as well?

Any help would be appreciated 

TIA

I would love to learn how to do this. Are there any tutorials that you recommend?

4 minutes ago, Rob21 said:

I would love to learn how to do this. Are there any tutorials that you recommend?

If you go to the dealer portal you can find a lesson on how to change the Icons. Fairly simple. Little time consuming adjusting the pics to the proper size. 

Please share if you figure it out.
On my todo list too.

(definitely try out the generator Zaphod linked to for making 2 state buttons, works a treat. make a 1024x1024, drop in an on image, an off image, and go)

I have tried the generator. It works well and saves time. I am really interested in learning the code and scripting. I want to be able to change the code for what i need. Not saying i will be able to build a driver but can change some to suite my needs. 

I have played around in AHK and Python. It is also fun to use.

I will figure this out. when i do I will share my work. I am also interested in sharing Experience buttons if anyone in interested

There is some stuff on Github about making drivers.  Search for Control4 on Github.  C4 makes it hard to be a driver developer if you are not a dealer as you really need Composer Pro to try out your drivers and they don't seem keen on giving Composer Pro to driver developers.  IMO that is too bad as I think they should allow driver developer enthusiasts to write drivers.  Maybe they think that will piss off dealers who don't want OS developers writing drivers and killing a revenue stream for dealers.

FYI - I have tried contacting C4 about writing drivers and they have ignored my emails.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.