C4 Forums | Control4

component over cat6

Hi everybody! I am getting ready to wire my house and I am planning on running cat6 for everything. anyone have any experience with these wall plates from hdtvsupply?

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/component-video-digitial-audio-cat5-wallplate.html

or do you have any other suggestions?

I am running 2 cat6 to each location so I can upgrade to HDMI when I need to.

thanks.

Greetings,

You didn't state what switch you might be using, but Zektor has CATX extender products called the SoloCAT. We send stereo L/R analog and digital audio with component video over a single CAT cable up to 1000' with crystal clear results. There is no power or ground required for the receiver. We also made a change to the receiver at the request of a number of integrators we spoke with at CEDIA. In older homes where the wall depth is shallow, having the cable enter from the back makes it just about impossible to get a cable into the back of the receiver. We changed our design where the cable now enters the receiver from the side and also puts less stress on the connectors.

For the switch, we have a product you might find interesting called the Prowler. It's an 8X8 component matrix switch with CATX distribution.

You can check out the full spec at www.zektor.com for both products. These are the best switches and extenders on the market designed and built in the USA with a 5 year advanced replacement warranty. We also have a C4 driver up on our site which has been highly complimented by many C4 integrators.

Good luck on your project.

Thanks.

Jeff

I wouldnt spend the money on the outlets . HD over Component will be dead in a year as the Blurays will only put out 480i over component starting Dec 2010 and that number is carved in all Blurays including existing machines

I presume the satellites will follow suit soon after and MUST comply by 2013

I would install the two cat 5E or cat 6 wall plugs per room and 2 rg6 quad shield. Home run them all and then plug in as needed later. Both Kramer and Celabs offer reasonably priced cat5 transmitters and they are only getting cheaper. ( no shot at zektor, Not sure if they have cat5/hdmi)

Since you are only wiring at this point I presume you are 6 months away from living there so essentially the install will be obsolete as soon as you start to use it

Search Analog Sunset for more details . ( it is the continued rape of the consumer and just one more step towards the 100% pay per use/view that is HDCP's final target )

2.2.1 Analog Sunset – 2010. With the exception of Existing Models,

any Licensed Player manufactured after December 31, 2010 shall

limit analog video outputs for Decrypted AACS Content to SD

Interlace Modes [composite video, s-video, 480i component video and 576i video] only.

Apparently the existing model exception was taken out in July or August this year.

Essentially wiring for component is like wiring for s-video, cassettes and record players

While you're shopping, don't overlook HDMI over IP. It will work great with CAT5 or CAT6, and six months from now we will have even more models availble. One way to think of HDMI over IP is as if you are getting your HDMI Matrix Switcher for free when you buy the HDMI over IP baluns (even though they are not baluns, they are IP transceivers).

I am running 2 cat6 to each location so I can upgrade to HDMI when I need to.

if you want to have room to expand get some extra cat5e lines to each locations, many new tv's already have network connection (nothing impressive yet, but who know what will be available in 2 years) also "IR", maybe network for controller and add some coax in case you don't go with any automation and just want to put local sat/cable box in the room.

It will be a bit more than you plan but I would run 2xcat6, 2xcat5e , 2xrg6 or rg6quad. Might seem a lot but if the house is open cost of the bulk cable is not that much.

HD over Component will be dead in a year as the Blurays will only put out 480i over component starting Dec 2010 and that number is carved in all Blurays including existing machines

HD over Component will be limited to 576i not 480i. Read my post on 1080p over component HERE and HERE.

Either way you will not be able to send/receive HD (720p/1080i/1080p) over component within the coming year or 2.

All of this assumes that the FCC will let the movie and broadcast industry enforce the CIT.

I don't think there is any chance of this actually happening. The uproar from consumers will make it a non-issue.

The guidelines state units manufactured after those dates, so it's not like everything you own will turn into a pumpkin at midnight.

Component is going anywhere because it's the only HD delivery method that actually works well in matrix applications today.

Component is going anywhere because it's the only HD delivery method that actually works well in matrix applications today.

Although this statement is true, I doubt that hollywood or washington gives a rats azz that component video distribution is the only technology that works well in a video distribution scheme.

The HD over component will be shut off and the public will not even notice..these are the public which didnt notice when price fixing was approved (US Supreme court decision two years ago approving MAP pricing and channel pricing, Leegin Creative Leather Products )

Sat idlely by while macrovision jammed disc full of code to prevent people from backing up their 25 dollar dvd , ( contrary to the Sony betamax supreme court decision)

Didnt blink as the HDCP locks down the signal so that within a few years you will literally have to pay to record a show and will only be able to play it back on one machine and will pay per playback

These same people pay a dollar a song to download it . Are now using bank cards more then cash etc etc

the sunset will come and the component installs will be garbage and hollywood will continue on the path to 100% recurring revenue based entertainment and laughing at fair use clauses and supreme court decisions

My personal favourite is the new canadian copyright bill ( written by the Riaa, socan and Sony) which will make it illegal to circumvent ANY copy protection which means you wont be able to take a cd and make it a mp3 for your car or to back it up so your kids dont destroy it. Fair use will be completely gone.

This bill will fly thru parliament as this is the same government that in March 09 removed all competition laws and has made it perfectly legal to price fix, close dealers who wont sell at full MSRP and to charge dealers anything they want so if you dont play ball they can charge one dealer 3 times as much for the same part as a dealer who is equal or even smaller. http://competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/eng/h_03036.html

DRM ...digitally robbing ( or more accurately raping) masses

• 1 month later...

thanks for the input, I have made a few changes and I am still in need of running component with audio and composit with audio for my xbox and my wii. both will be in the living room and I need to run them 50 - 75 ft to the receiver. anyone have any ideas or are the plates from my first post good? they seem a little expensive to me but I could be wrong.

My "basic" understanding is that these changes are for new equipment and people will be just fine with their current setup to distribute 1080p over component. Any dealers care to correct or confirm??

That's my understanding is that any equipment manufactured after a certain date would have to comply. Of course, they can always firmware update your cable box.

HD over Component will be limited to 576i not 480i. Read my post on 1080p over component HERE and HERE.

Either way you will not be able to send/receive HD (720p/1080i/1080p) over component within the coming year or 2.

I don't know that I agree with this statement. It may be true that you will not be able to get component output from a BluRay player in a couple of years but are you saying that component outputs will be disabled on cable and satellite boxes? I highly doubt that is going to happen. And I doubt that component outputs from devices like ATSC receivers will ever be disabled.

And even there you could buy a device like the HD Fury 2 and you are good to go.

. . . are you saying that component outputs will be disabled on cable and satellite boxes?

No. If you read what I posted, and what the AACS agreement sates, you will see that I said that component will be limited to 576i and you will not be able to send/receive HD (720p/1080i/1080p) over component within the coming year or 2. I never mentioned that component will be disabled. You just wont be able to send anything over anything over 576i. This is a fact stated in the ACCS agreement.

With that said there may be some component disabling all together. Remember SKY HD and what they did? They disabled the component output on all their satellite boxes. Their users were forced to connect via HDMI. Here is a direct quote from Sky HD "the connections (Component) had been removed because of 'obligations to some content owners'".

Further to GoGo's point .... There are also new HD devices hitting the market now (perhaps skating the issue) that just omit component all together. Read HD 1080P capable = HDMI only.

Eg. Check the WD Live and Boxeee media players .... no component connections

Oh crap! I read this thread awhile ago but didn't really give it much thought. What is the bottom-line action when this all goes down? Start utilizing the CAT runs via HDMI-over-CAT products instead of the coax? Or, buy media converters for both ends of the coax bundles?

So what will happen to the Control4 controllers that output 720p over component? Every single one of us owns at least one....

I'm switching yours to SD as we speak :P

Very funny....

It's easier for "older eyes" when the size of the icons are bigger. :D

Archived