C4 Forums | Control4

Apple TV multiple duplicate navigation clicks

Recently, but intermittently, I have a problem where a single click (using C4 iPhone app or Halo) becomes two or three clicks from Apple TV perspective.   So, from the main Apple TV screen, a single click "right" moves the cursor three spots.   What usually fixes it, but is tedious, is to go to Apple Bridge and do the "factory reset" action and then re-enable Apple TV controls from C4 App (which brings up the Home app and re-adds the bridge and devices for each Apple TV on Control 4).

Has anyone seen this before and know the root cause?

I don't think there is a limit to how many Apple TVs you can have in a project, but I have 17 of them, so maybe that's causing some issues somehow?

Another clue (maybe) is that Apple TV fairly constantly flashes up a notice/alert in upper right corner of screen saying "Control4 Remote Connected" then "Control4 Remote Disconnected" every couple of minutes.  I'm thinking maybe the internally "mapping" between drivers and physical Apple TV boxes is messed up and Control 4 has multiple "virtual" remote control connections to the Apple TV and each one is sending (duplicate) commands?

Each TV in house has access to two Apple TVs: one dedicated to that TV and a "shared" Apple TV using video distribution.  Sometimes (in same room on same TV with same remote) one Apple TV control works normally and the other does the duplicated commands thing.  Another clue?

Native silver Apple TV remote control and using native Apple TV remote "applet" on iPhone always works fine, so this is not an Apple problem.

Any ideas?

I’ve seen the single click trigger multiple movements before. It was/is worst inside the Apple TV+ app. One click to move down scrolled all the way down to the bottom. It is inconsistent and doesn’t behave the same across different apps (haven’t seen the behavior in say the Netflix app) and also comes and goes. I’ve found no rhyme or reason - or fix. But yes, do confirm it happens! 

ea5/latest os 3.3.3/4 Apple TVs all HD or 4K versions/using the Apple bridge. 

I had something similar (with other symptoms too) on the upgrade to the latest Apple Bridge Driver (the version that allowed for the Halo - I think there was one more update after this).  I have 7  Apple TVs across 2 houses (one Apple ID).  I guessed my issue was linked to multiple houses. Ultimately my dealer deleted the Apple Bridge driver in both projects and we deleted everything in the Apple Home app.  We then set everything up from scratch and everything has worked perfectly for 2 months. 

I have to add that I have used the Apple Bridge driver since the day it came out and despite reading about lots of issues with the driver, this is the first real issue that I have ever had with the driver.

2 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

deleted the Apple Bridge driver in both projects and we deleted everything in the Apple Home app

Good idea.  Will try that.  I figured the Factory Reset action did pretty much same thing, but a manual delete / "clean" install on both the C4 and Homekit sides seems even better.   I'm assuming you didn't need to remove the individual AppleTV device drivers, right?  That would be a big pain in the butt to reconfigure.   

1 minute ago, cnicholson said:

Good idea.  Will try that.  I figured the Factory Reset action did pretty much same thing, but a manual delete / "clean" install on both the C4 and Homekit sides seems even better.   I'm assuming you didn't need to remove the individual AppleTV device drivers, right?  That would be a big pain in the butt to reconfigure.   

Correct.  I did not delete the Apple TV drivers.  That would have been a pain in the butt indeed.  My dealer and I had to read the Bridge instructions carefully to install it (he never uses this driver) and it was actually easy (i.e. good instructions).

I tried the Factory Reset first and it did not help me either…

I just did the factory reset again, but then went in Homekit Home app and I found FOUR different copies of the Core5 bridge!  I deleted them all and then turned on Apple TV controls in C4 app.  Seems to work!  But problem is intermittent, so can't declare victory yet.  I chickened out about deleting bridge driver itself because docs say it auto installs with first Apple TV driver, so I feared screwing this up.  But I'll do that if problems resurface.   Multiple copies of the remote control bridge sound like the root cause, so fingers crossed.

Thanks again. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.