C4 Forums | Control4

Onkyo TX-NR696 Zone 2

Or necessarily specific to C4, but picked up a NR696 to replace an older onkyo unit that wasn’t IP manageable. I usually use the Zome 2 line out to feed an input into my distributed audio. For the life of me I can’t get this Zone 2 on this new receiver work. If I switch the Zone 2 to be Zone B in the config instead it works fine, but it dumbs down the main single to 2 channel when you use Zone B. Configured as Zone 2 is supposed to only do Zone 2 in 2ch and leave main as whatever it was running at already. 

Anyone ever work with this receiver and zone 2 before?  Opened a ticket yesterday with Onkyo but haven’t heard back from them yet. 

In my experience, this is pretty typical with Onkyo & Integra. I'm assuming your feeding an HDMI in to zone2. If that's the case, I believe even the HDMI in has to be set to 2 channel pcm or it won't pass.

Its crazy that I replace a cheaper Onkyo that this worked perfectly on with a newer higher end Onkyo and it doesn't work. Lol.

All I have configured for Zone 2 is the Line Out for Audio.  Im not leveraging the 2nd Output HDMI which would be Zone 2 HDMI output, or the Zone 2 speaker terminals of the receiver.  With that said I am trying to get the HDMI sources going into the Receiver Inputs to output the audio the Zone 2 Line Out.

It's also not strange that newer/higher end receivers don't do what older onse do: it's likely due to atmos support, HDR, and everything else new on the horizon that requires all sorts of additional licensing to process, including processing it down to 2ch PCM

7 hours ago, Topfox said:

Think Im just going to return it. Onkyo's support response clearly showed they don't even understand their own product.

Remote support located in a village in India, or whatever, they are given a manual to read from without understanding what they are or what they are trying to fix or even the problem, this business model suck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.