C4 Forums | Control4

Roku Mini Drivers and Passthrough

Just curious if this is by design, if there is a bug, or if I am doing something wrong. I have two Roku Ultras in an AV Rack. I have bound the mini apps to both Roku players and as I understand it, if I were to, for example, select the Netflix mini app on two separate TVs then the driver should automatically select the unused/inactive Roku to launch the second Netlfix instance. Is this correct?

What is happening for me is that when passthrough is enabled, each additional launch of the Netflix app just launches the existing stream from the active Roku in the new room instead of the from the inactive Roku. If I disable passthrough, it seems to work as expected, where it will launch the unused Roku if one Roku is already in use. Am I doing something wrong or is this the expected behavior? I like the aesthetics of passthrough but we often have our kids watching Netflix while we also watch a different Netflix stream elsewhere and this does not work well for us.

Also, as an additional note, if I launch a different mini app than the active one (i.e. Netflix is active and I select Amazon Prime in another room) the app will launch on the inactive Roku even when in passthrough mode.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

On 5/10/2023 at 10:03 PM, SouthernTurkey said:

Just curious if this is by design, if there is a bug, or if I am doing something wrong. I have two Roku Ultras in an AV Rack. I have bound the mini apps to both Roku players and as I understand it, if I were to, for example, select the Netflix mini app on two separate TVs then the driver should automatically select the unused/inactive Roku to launch the second Netlfix instance. Is this correct?

What is happening for me is that when passthrough is enabled, each additional launch of the Netflix app just launches the existing stream from the active Roku in the new room instead of the from the inactive Roku. If I disable passthrough, it seems to work as expected, where it will launch the unused Roku if one Roku is already in use. Am I doing something wrong or is this the expected behavior? I like the aesthetics of passthrough but we often have our kids watching Netflix while we also watch a different Netflix stream elsewhere and this does not work well for us.

Also, as an additional note, if I launch a different mini app than the active one (i.e. Netflix is active and I select Amazon Prime in another room) the app will launch on the inactive Roku even when in passthrough mode.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

This is because of your setup of miniapps, u r using one mini App for both Roku’s this is a very odd setup, usually what people do is to set both separately and use 2 sets of MiniApps each linked to one of the Roku’s so when u select specific MiniApp it works with its Roku instead of this shared linking! I find it brilliant thought that it’s doing this!

there was a post where someone was making a driver to do this. the video was of an appletv being selected in multiple rooms. the driver picked the unused player for each new instance started. dont remember who posted it, was here or FB  group

12 hours ago, c4toys said:

there was a post where someone was making a driver to do this. the video was of an appletv being selected in multiple rooms. the driver picked the unused player for each new instance started. dont remember who posted it, was here or FB  group

https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/audio-video/source-pooling/

IMG_5581.jpeg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.