C4 Forums | Control4

iTunes playlist -> Control4 playlist converter

tiba21

How do i get a copy?

There's no "copy". It's a web-based tool. So, just go to my website (www.contrivdesign.net). The 1.x version is openly available. The 1.x+ version is accessible after you register (under Tools menu).

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hasn't been alot of activity on this thread lately but here goes. I'm getting the same problem with not all the songs in my database being recognized once I upload the list. Only shows a few hundred but I have over 6000 scanned in. Any ideas?

Hmmm....

Well' date=' are you using the new version of the converter (the one that supports both 1.x and 2.0)? I should probably get rid of the original one to eliminate confusion. But, I made some "enhancements" with the new version of the converter that should have helped this issue. My code to match the data must be off. But, it should be better than a few hundred out of 6000!

Let me know what version of the tool you're using and I'll take a look. I may need to enhance the debugging to help trace this problem down once and for all.[/quote']

Thanks for the quick response. I registered and was logged in so I assume the latest version? My C4 is on 1.8.2

Tried again using the proper converter but still having problems I'm trying to create a Christmas playlist but its only finding 200 or so of the 600 songs from the Itunes playlist.

I guess I should put more effort into finally resolving this ongoing issue. Can you email me the files so that I can use it to test and troubleshoot your specific case?

• 3 weeks later...
Tried again using the proper converter but still having problems I'm trying to create a Christmas playlist but its only finding 200 or so of the 600 songs from the Itunes playlist.

I guess I should put more effort into finally resolving this ongoing issue. Can you email me the files so that I can use it to test and troubleshoot your specific case?

Same problems for me as indicated in this post. Any luck on resolving the issue? Thanks!

Same problems for me as indicated in this post. Any luck on resolving the issue? Thanks!

Here's what I responded to jayace with:

OK. I got your files and was able to duplicate your results.

Now' date=' I think this has been a common problem that I noticed a while back. But, I think this all ties back to the difference on how C4 and iTunes tag songs. For example, in your C4 Media library, you should have:

Artist: Christmas Neil Diamond

Album: Neil Diamond

Song: Winter Wonderland

Now, in your iTunes, you should have:

Artist: Neil Diamond

Album: [none or blank']

Song: Winder Wonderland

The converter properly reports under the "Tracks Not Found" tab, that: Neil Diamond - Winter Wonderland - Winter Wonderland, was not found in C4 media list. (Here's the format [Artist] - [song Title] - [Album], was not found....). The converter tries to match the album name and artist first, then finds the matching song. So, in the above case, not match is found for the artist/album before it even attempts to find the song.

You can see how the 2 don't match, but it's likely not something you did yourself. As a possible solution, confirm the above is accurate in C4 Composer and iTunes. If so, I would recommend updating the song(s) metadata (title, album, artist, genre, etc) to the proper/desired values. Once you do that, do a rescan in C4 and see if the changes make their way down to C4. If you don't see your changes, you may need to adjust your iTunes Preferences to allow iTunes to update/manage your library (forget the exact language). This way, iTunes will actually modify the music file on the drive instead of just iTunes local reference to it. Make sense? Just do a couple of songs b4 you waste a bunch of time testing this theory to no avail.

Let me know if it was helpful...

Just an update on what I did. I bought the "Tuneup Media" addon for iTunes and properly scanned all of my media to add all the missing metadata. Then I rescanned all my media in C4, sorted by Genre and created a Christmas playlist. I honestly have never been a fan of iTunes anyways so now that my media collection is properly tagged I can use any player with ease. I imagine that if I wanted to I could use tiba21's converter and it would work properly now that my database is accurate.

• 8 months later...
this application does not exit on the website anymore. any more working links

How do you figure? If you go to my site http://www.contrivdesign.net, the Converter is under the menu: Services -> Tools -> Converter

Let me know if there is still an issue.

I'm working on making a "FULL" version that hopefully adds some useful features (ex: Won't need to always upload playlist files, will create user profile and store playlists on server. Will only need to upload updated/new playlist files).

• 1 year later...
Hi guys, this seems like a great idea, as I'm looking to find something that can convert my itunes playlists into something that c4 understands.

Has anything new developed since this last post?

Eh...well, I've been busy and lazy lately and haven't finished off the latest changes that I noted in last post. It's almost there, I just need to put the finishing touches on it. I plan on notifying all of the registered users once I do though...

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone have or can they comment on the Control4 XML structure for playlists? I use MediaMonkey (not iTunes) and am trying to modify the script I have to work with 2.x

I can get the albums and songs to load, but am having trouble getting the correct number of songs into playlists, as well as getting the correct songs. Below is a sample of the Control4 Playlist XML:

<media>	<version>2</version>	<broadcasts/>	<movies/>	<albums/>	<playlists>		<playlist>			<id>10955</id>			<title>U2</title>			<songs>				<song>					<name>Even Better Than The Real Thing</name>					<artist>U2</artist>					<track_no/>					<type>SONG</type>					<id>4075</id>					<location/>				</song>				<song>					<name>One</name>					<artist>U2</artist>					<track_no/>					<type>SONG</type>					<id>4076</id>					<location/>				</song>			</songs>		</playlist>	</playlists></media>
Any help is much appreciated

• 3 years later...

Hello, I have a client with a large Music collection on Itunes, over the years he has organized playlists and he would like to be able to migrate them into control4, I have tried to register on the website (http://www.contrivdesign.net) to download the conversion tool but I get an error.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this tool or if there is another way to create/migrate playlists from iTunes to Control4? - I have copied all the music onto the NAS and I can access the media from Control4 but the issue here are the playlists, there are alot of extensive playlists so re creating them manually would talke a really long time..

Any help would be appreciated

2 hours ago, Alberto Dav said:

Hello, I have a client with a large Music collection on Itunes, over the years he has organized playlists and he would like to be able to migrate them into control4, I have tried to register on the website (http://www.contrivdesign.net) to download the conversion tool but I get an error.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this tool or if there is another way to create/migrate playlists from iTunes to Control4? - I have copied all the music onto the NAS and I can access the media from Control4 but the issue here are the playlists, there are alot of extensive playlists so re creating them manually would talke a really long time..

Any help would be appreciated

You could just use the iTunes driver? It works fairly well for music although the look and feel is not as nice (my view)as Control4’s MyMusic

Archived