C4 Forums | Control4

Water Sensor

I want to add "water sensors" to a few places in my house - laundry areas and utility area. OK, so if water sensor is not the correct terminolgy, I am looking for a device that would detect a broken pipe/water on the floor/tile.

Is there a stand alone product that would work with C4 or should I look at integrating my Security System (pretty sure there are sensors that would work with it).

Thoughts?

http://www.cardaccess-inc.com/automation/products/index.php?a=details&i=ILD10B-B

I am going to install a couple of these in the same places. By the water heaters, washing machine, under the dishwasher and fridge (hardwood floors), etc...

Those are a little pricey, but I think if you can run a wire you can cut the price substantially because you no longer need the card access wireless contact.

I ran a CAT5e to my HWH but forgot to do so in the laundry room. The question for me is what to do after the alarm though. I think a better approach is to install the very-expensive remote controlled, whole-house ball valve. Another idea is to install the very inexpensive line sets with the flow limiter attachment.

I ran a CAT5e to my HWH but forgot to do so in the laundry room. The question for me is what to do after the alarm though. I think a better approach is to install the very-expensive remote controlled, whole-house ball valve. Another idea is to install the very inexpensive line sets with the flow limiter attachment.

My thought (at least initially) is to just have it make an announcement and fire a text message to me and my wife letting us now what is going on.

I ran a CAT5e to my HWH but forgot to do so in the laundry room. The question for me is what to do after the alarm though. I think a better approach is to install the very-expensive remote controlled' date=' whole-house ball valve. Another idea is to install the very inexpensive line sets with the flow limiter attachment.[/quote']

My thought (at least initially) is to just have it make an announcement and fire a text message to me and my wife letting us now what is going on.

I am on the same page - a txt or e-mail would work. At least it would limit the exposure time/damage. At work we have just installed a system with temp and water sensors that call/txt you when there is an issue. I could go this direction too, but integrating with C4 makes sense and is cooler :-)

That's great IF you are home...

I agree, there are better solutions out there but something is better than nothing.

I can always get a hold of a neighbor and have them go shut off the water if I am too far away from home. I may look into the ability to remotely shutoff the water as well, but I am not interested in shelling out huge cash for this.

... I may look into the ability to remotely shutoff the water as well, but I am not interested in shelling out huge cash for this.

I looked into a few main water shutoff valves. They were about $400.00, I am not ready to shell out that much right now.

panamagixxer, integrate it in to your security system. Water bugs are cheap and are a typical zone on a security system. Isn't your security system and control4 already talking to each other? I thought, but if not, that's an easy thing to fix.

The OP is looking for a "stand-alone" that works with C4?? Which is it? I believe in defining the outcome first then determining how to get there. What are you planning to do with the information from the sensor? Local annunciation, email or take action?? I would assume that nobody wants any amount of water in an area that will receive damage from it. In that case, why would you stop at connection to C4?

I'm not going to lecture here (does no good anyway it appears), so go call your insurance co. and ask them what they do in case of water damage claims.

I've got several inexpensive water sensors connected to my alarm system. That system then sends an alarm to my C4 system, as well as to a valve on the main water line which is then shutoff.

Here's the device I'm installing: http://www.watercop.com/

The way I figure it, I'm only home about 1/2 the time. A water break could output about 10 gals per minute. In the 30 minutes it would take me (best case) to get home and shut the water off, 300 gallons would pour out and cause lots of expensive damage. So without an automatic shutoff, the alarms alone aren't a real solution in my opinion.

Had a 2nd floor pipe freeze and flood the living and dining room. A mess to cleanup (had to through out half the furniture and replace all the sheetrock). Although I had insurance that covered a lot of it, I'm sure my premium will go up.

No need to say your sorry, I just don't know why you would worry about Eaton.

They have great backing, large market presence and great support system. The guys who helped develop Home Heatbeat are Cedia members and very active in working with Cedia/CEA group. They have demonstrated a high level of commitment and have a proven track record of providing good products and excellent support.

Archived