C4 Forums | Control4

Triad Amp Audio Detect Power Mode

BY96

I recently added a Triad 8-zone V2 amp. My installer recommended I use the 12v trigger between the matrix and amp, but I read that the trigger turns on all amps, while the Audio detect mode only turns on the channels being used. I decided to try out the audio detect mode and then switch to the trigger if I wasn't happy in order to limit the number of channels running. 

So far, the audio detect works almost instantly and I am happy with that part. However, I have noticed that long after I turn off a zone, the zone status light for the zone is still on and the fans are still running. I am wondering if anyone knows how long the amp stays on after the audio signal is no longer detected. I can't find any information on this feature. 

Thanks!! And Happy New Years to everyone! 

• BY96 changed the title to Triad Amp Audio Detect Power Mode

38 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

you should be using triggering....it turns on the amp but not all zones...

Thanks. Correct me if I am wrong, but from reading the manual, with the trigger, all the channels on the amp will be turned on, but audio won't be sent to all zones (as that is determined by the matrix). But all 16 channels in the amp will be turned on with the trigger. I added the portion of the manual I am referring to, particularly the two Notes. 

Untitled.jpg

The one time you basically MUST use the 12v trigger is if you use announcements (especially doorbell) as the audio sense is too slow for that.

Audio sense isn't super slow, it's just not instant and thats what you want for announcements to work properly.

Either is fine really, the audio consumption of all zones with only one zone actually getting a signal vs only one zone getting signal ad turning is near to nothing (and 'wear and tear' wise it means absolutely nothing.

As for power off time, it's default 10 seconds for relay control (12v control) but settable.

For audio sense, I'm actually not sure, but I would think it's about a minute at least likely a few minutes, simply to prevent the amp from shutting off when it isn't supposed to (ie because you mute a zone for a moment, or because whatever you're watching is silent for a bit (think golf, snooker, nature/flyover scenes)

16 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

The one time you basically MUST use the 12v trigger is if you use announcements (especially doorbell) as the audio sense is too slow for that.

Audio sense isn't super slow, it's just not instant and thats what you want for announcements to work properly.

Either is fine really, the audio consumption of all zones with only one zone actually getting a signal vs only one zone getting signal ad turning is near to nothing (and 'wear and tear' wise it means absolutely nothing.

As for power off time, it's default 10 seconds for relay control (12v control) but settable.

For audio sense, I'm actually not sure, but I would think it's about a minute at least likely a few minutes, simply to prevent the amp from shutting off when it isn't supposed to (ie because you mute a zone for a moment, or because whatever you're watching is silent for a bit (think golf, snooker, nature/flyover scenes)

Thank you for the detailed info! I am not using any announcements in my system. 

I am wondering if something is wrong with my amp. With audio detect, the amp zone isn't turning off even hours after I turn off the music. 

On 12/31/2023 at 8:55 PM, BY96 said:

I am wondering if something is wrong with my amp. With audio detect, the amp zone isn't turning off even hours after I turn off the music. 

Not impossible, more likely, there's trace signal coming through.

Any idea what would cause a trace signal? The audio light on the Core 3 is off, so I don't think the signal is coming from there. Not sure how to know if there is any activity in the Triad matrix. 

I have ordered short 12V cables, so I may just switch to the trigger option give you said it won't utilize any noticeable extra power. Though, I do like seeing which zones are being used with the lights on the amp. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.