C4 Forums | Control4

Audio/Video Syncing

In my system, I use local video sources (ATV, Roku) in each room and audio and video are both handled locally. I then have a Triad 16x16 and Triad amps for whole house music. 

However, I will be adding speakers to my daughter's room for the distributed audio and she is wanting to use the same speakers for watching her TV. I know I can use audio over Cat6 via baluns to send the audio from the TV back to the matrix. My question is, should I be concerned about the audio and video staying in sync? I know I can delay the audio within the matrix, but I am more concerned about the audio already being too delayed. I really don't want to run the Cat6 only to find it won't work. 

Thanks!!

I think it may depend on the type of baluns but analog audio baluns should not introduce a delay.  But when you are extracting audio from HDMI that can cause sync issues.  What will be the source for the TV? And how will you get the audio from the video source, connecting directly to the source, or using the TV audio out?

In my daughter's room, she just streams shows from the TV's internal apps, so no external video source. My plan would be to either use the optical or 3.5mm output of the TV to send the audio to the matrix. 

I have thought about running a long optical cable from the TV, using a DAC to Cat6 baluns, or use the 3.5mm output to baluns. 

6 hours ago, BY96 said:

should I be concerned about the audio and video staying in sync?

The answer is, no you shouldn't be worried.

A decent audio balun will add zero delay. We use Green Audio manufacturing for this sort of thing all the time but I know of no retailer that carries them: many others will do just fine I'm sure as well - just don't go for the cheapest one.

Oh I should add, we use optical, digi coax and 3.5mm as available, none of them are an issue (and it's why we use the green audio one, it has all three input options select-able via a toggle switch AND it'll output all three on the other end simultaneously AND in sync with each other. Never an issue to connect it, regardless of what TV, what amp/receiver/matrix (or more than one amp/receiver).

Thanks @Cyknight

My daughter is debating between keeping her soundbar or going with the in-ceiling speakers (via the distributed system) for TV use. I assume there is no way in Control4 to give two different audio options for Watch? Like one using the soundbar and the other using the distributed audio? I think I remember hearing only one audio output can be attached to a video source. 

C4 always selects the first path: While you could use ceiling speakers for, say, distributed sources, by making them video audio selection 1, and local sources use the soundbar by making it selection 2, you can't actively 'choose' which one to use when.

At least, not in one room: you COULD make a second room, use the same tv video endpoint for that new 'room' - call it 'room - soundbar' and make the soundbar the video audio selection point. Not great, but it would give a relatively easy option for your daughter to test which one she likes best.

13 hours ago, BY96 said:

Thanks @Cyknight

My daughter is debating between keeping her soundbar or going with the in-ceiling speakers (via the distributed system) for TV use. I assume there is no way in Control4 to give two different audio options for Watch? Like one using the soundbar and the other using the distributed audio? I think I remember hearing only one audio output can be attached to a video source. 

I do something similar to what you want.. I switch between internal TV sound and in-ceiling speakers (a zone on my matrix).  This is how I do it:

I also do something similar (maybe by accident?) with a Roku TV in a guest room..

If I use the Roku remote to turn on the tv, sound comes out of the speakers on the TV, and I control the volume with the Roku remote (no sound through the room speakers). 

If I use the neeo and go to watch, sound comes out of the room speakers via the matrix.

Not as elegant, but works for the rare times I don't want the TV coming out of the room speakers. 

18 hours ago, BY96 said:

In my daughter's room, she just streams shows from the TV's internal apps, so no external video source. My plan would be to either use the optical or 3.5mm output of the TV to send the audio to the matrix. 

I have thought about running a long optical cable from the TV, using a DAC to Cat6 baluns, or use the 3.5mm output to baluns. 

Your cheapest solution would be something like this https://www.amazon.ca/LINESO-3-5mm-Stereo-White-Extender/dp/B01HHO8382/.  There are a bunch of similar devices on Amazon.

Kind of low risk if you want to try it out.  I have a few pair like this, although mine have RCA plus on both baluns and are likely a different brand.  And they work fine.  I actually use them in both directions as I have some rooms with amps but don't want to have a C4 controller just for an audio source, so I send audio from my rack to the room over ethernet with this type of balun.

8 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Your cheapest solution would be something like this https://www.amazon.ca/LINESO-3-5mm-Stereo-White-Extender/dp/B01HHO8382/.  There are a bunch of similar devices on Amazon.

Kind of low risk if you want to try it out.  I have a few pair like this, although mine have RCA plus on both baluns and are likely a different brand.  And they work fine.  I actually use them in both directions as I have some rooms with amps but don't want to have a C4 controller just for an audio source, so I send audio from my rack to the room over ethernet with this type of balun.

Thanks!

I am using a similar pair to send audio from the EA-3 (which is in the living room) back to the matrix. If I go this route, those were going to be my first try. They are perfect, in that one is 3.5mm and the other is RCA. 

2 hours ago, SpencerT said:

I also do something similar (maybe by accident?) with a Roku TV in a guest room..

If I use the Roku remote to turn on the tv, sound comes out of the speakers on the TV, and I control the volume with the Roku remote (no sound through the room speakers). 

If I use the neeo and go to watch, sound comes out of the room speakers via the matrix.

Not as elegant, but works for the rare times I don't want the TV coming out of the room speakers. 

This makes sense. If it were my bedroom, I would probably do the same. Not sure if my daughter (even though she is the second most tech-savvy person in the house) will keep it straight. Right now, I am telling her we have to choose between the soundbar and the in-ceiling speakers, but if we go with the latter for TV viewing, I can always leave the soundbar in place and let her know how she can use them with the TV remote. 

Thanks!!

3 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

I do something similar to what you want.. I switch between internal TV sound and in-ceiling speakers (a zone on my matrix).  This is how I do it:

After reading your thread a second time, I really do like the idea of having the two options separated into Watch and Listen. That makes sense and would be easy for my daughter to keep straight. I assume this process would work with the TV and its internal apps, as opposed to an external streaming box. 

I am going to talk to my daughter some more, but I think your plan has moved to the top spot of my options! 

Much thanks!! 

18 minutes ago, BY96 said:

Thanks!

I am using a similar pair to send audio from the EA-3 (which is in the living room) back to the matrix. If I go this route, those were going to be my first try. They are perfect, in that one is 3.5mm and the other is RCA. 

Exactly - I haven't ever seen these in person, but it does save needing an adapter.  And for US$10 or so who cares if it doesn't work so well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.