C4 Forums | Control4

C4 internet issues

My control4 ea5 started having internet connectivity issues. I haven't fully diagnosed what works and what doesnt. But things that I see don't work is Alexa , pandora, and control4 phone app connectivity when not on the local network. 

If my phone is connected to my wifi the app connects no problem. I also don't have problems connecting to it with Composer. So it's not a network connection issue. It's just the internet.

Restarting the EA5 solves the issue. Before it would solve it for long, (happened a few times now in last month) now it only solved it for a day.

Any ideas what kind of thing could cause this. Or ideas of what logs to look at to see what could be causing it?

Thanks!

28 minutes ago, SpencerT said:

It renewed last month and the problem has been occurring over the last month?

Unfortunately I can't pinpoint exactly when it started. I wasn't paying attention to it.

Anything you would chase down if this was the case tho?

8 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Have you checked that 4sight really renewed and is showing as active?

Confirmed just now. Expires December 2024. System last checked in 1/6 (today)

Interesting thing is I didn't restart it since posting, and I can confirm access to internet is working again this morning and 5g connection with app is too. What could cause this? Is something possibly making the ea5 lag and cause intermittent connectivity issued?

It may not necessarily be the C4 hardware with perhaps a root cause elsewhere in your network. For example, you may want to check your own internet connection if in case it is flip flopping or if your DNS provider (if not using the ISP) is experiencing problems. You will need to follow the chain to eliminate the possibilities.

Check the controller DNS, if dynamic or router, try using Google (8.8.8.8) and Cloudfare (1.1.1.1).

If indeed Pandora dies as well, than it's a general issue with the network.

On 1/6/2024 at 9:25 AM, RAV said:

Check the controller DNS, if dynamic or router, try using Google (8.8.8.8) and Cloudfare (1.1.1.1).

Already have it set as Google.

If there are network issues, which of the logs that I can access in system manager could possibly show the errors. Is there one that would log a failure to reach either c4 or internet for any reason?

On 1/6/2024 at 9:25 AM, RAV said:

Already have it set as Google.

If there are network issues, which of the logs that I can access in system manager could possibly show the errors. Is there one that would log a failure to reach either c4 or internet for any reason?

• 2 weeks later...

So no one has any suggestions on where errors like this may be logged?

I've not realized this is just some kind of intermittent issue. It doesn't just lose internet. It's off and on again all the time. I use Alexa all the time to interact with my C4 and the same times Alexa won't interact with C4 is the same times I can't connect to the C4 with the app unless on the same wifi. (alexa and everything else in my house still works and has internet)

Also, is there a way to refresh network, or similar, through programming?

You have not said what testing you have done to singularly identify the C4 devices as being at fault here or what has been ruled out. There are far too many variables still at play and happenstance when one device does not connect to C4 is not the same thing as saying that the C4 itself is the root cause.

For example, have you checked your router/modem logs for retransmissions or reconnections? When you notice the EA5 dropping, can you still ping the device to confirm simple network connectivity. At a very basic level, when the incident occurs go into the System Diagnostics screen within Composer, select the Controller Networking tab and click "Test Internet Connection"..what happens?

Without much more detail, we are all just shooting in the dark here.

23 hours ago, Popolou said:

You have not said what testing you have done to singularly identify the C4 devices as being at fault here or what has been ruled out. There are far too many variables still at play and happenstance when one device does not connect to C4 is not the same thing as saying that the C4 itself is the root cause.

For example, have you checked your router/modem logs for retransmissions or reconnections? When you notice the EA5 dropping, can you still ping the device to confirm simple network connectivity. At a very basic level, when the incident occurs go into the System Diagnostics screen within Composer, select the Controller Networking tab and click "Test Internet Connection"..what happens?

Without much more detail, we are all just shooting in the dark here.

All my other services work except the C4. The only possible other thing would be my routers blocking the C4 intermittently ? I suppose that's possible. I'll try to see if I can find logs for my router.

The system diagnostics screen does show a working internet connection. A Ping to the device would always work on my network since , as mentioned, I can always reach the EA5 intranetwork. It's to the outside that doesn't work. The one or two times I have logged in to composer right after noticing the issue, the internet connectivity started working right then. I'll keep trying but typically when I catch this I don't exactly have time to go diagnose right then and there as I am doing something else. That's why I was looking for logs. For example logs have helped me solve the DS2 doorstation connectivity issues in the past.

On 1/22/2024 at 10:53 AM, Cyknight said:

What's you ISP? Starlink by chance?

If so try adding a static route destination 192.168.100.1 mask 255.255.255.0 gateway 0.0.0.0 to your WAN interface

I don't have Starlink. I do have a WISP service, which isn't officially satellite but it uses a satellite to get internet from a tower a mile away. So it's similar in that manner (uses satilites in some part of the chain).

Is this something I should look into for me as well or is the issue you are mentioning just Starlink specific.

45 minutes ago, timelinex said:

I don't have Starlink. I do have a WISP service, which isn't officially satellite but it uses a satellite to get internet from a tower a mile away. So it's similar in that manner (uses satilites in some part of the chain).

Is this something I should look into for me as well or is the issue you are mentioning just Starlink specific.

That one is starlink specific.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.