C4 Forums | Control4

Scanning with MQA option

drmark12pa

Question

I just added a few ripped CDs into my library and went to scan and noticed a new check box option for ENABLE MQA.  Most of my audio files are FLAC if I could help it otherwise 320mbps MP3s.  What does this scanning option do?  

7 answers to this question

On 3/10/2024 at 1:10 PM, Shoe said:

So I'm still a bit confused.  If I listen to most of my music via my FLAC files on network hard drive which in turn streams via my EA-5 through 2 C4 8 zone amps (not the newer versions), how does MQA work?  I don't use any streaming services for music (every song I would want to listen to I have the physical media other than listening to Sirius streaming).  Do I have to have my dealer perform some sort of setup?  Also, if I check the MQA box for scanning my media, what's that supposed to do as compared to just listening to my FLAC files that are already scanned into my media library as is?

MQA is just a compression encryption/decryption method. The only thing it 'does' (well supposedly the only thing) is that it allows the FLAC files to be stored in less space.

The argument is that it's a lossless compression, make of that what you will.

It's sort of the same thing as taking a document and putting it in a zip file to make it smaller.

So in a way it's effectively asking you if you want take your FLAC file and put it in to a 'zip' folder for storage (from which C4 can play it directly).

I guess I SHOULD add that the MQA 'enabled file' is streamed as is, so I suppose part of the argument is that it would take up less bandwidth on the network (if/when streaming from a NAS or possibly even from controller to controller though I don't know if Ryff uses MQA or not, or if it does if it doesn't do it anyway regarless of the original file)) as well as less space in storage.

12 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

MQA is just a compression encryption/decryption method. The only thing it 'does' (well supposedly the only thing) is that it allows the FLAC files to be stored in less space.

The argument is that it's a lossless compression, make of that what you will.

It's sort of the same thing as taking a document and putting it in a zip file to make it smaller.

So in a way it's effectively asking you if you want take your FLAC file and put it in to a 'zip' folder for storage (from which C4 can play it directly).

So if I'm just streaming my uncompressed FLAC files as is, I should have same sound quality as this MQA from my understanding.  I'm not too concerned about network congestion since it's usually only 1 audio stream being used at a time and for storage I have a network hard drive array with more than enough space.

1 hour ago, drmark12pa said:

So if I'm just streaming my uncompressed FLAC files as is, I should have same sound quality as this MQA from my understanding.  I'm not too concerned about network congestion since it's usually only 1 audio stream being used at a time and for storage I have a network hard drive array with more than enough space.

Yes MQA doesn't ADD quality in anyway to a FLAC file, it supposed is just a way to more efficiently stream the SAME audio quality. There's very little reason to use it for locally stored music within the C4 infrastructure.