C4 Forums | Control4

C4 media play or Netgear

All this Media Server stuff confuses me. So please correct me if I'm wrong: In order to have movies, music and pictures stored on a hard drive and be able to watch a movie on any tv I need to have:

Netgear 9150 & a NAS hard drive or

C4 Media Player, Netgear 9150 and a NAS hard drive?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAS = Network-Attached Storage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage

Just some info on what a NAS is....

Here are some store bought 'types' of NAS, or also known as Home Severs... These are just of couple there is a lot more out there...

HP Home and office servers

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/can.do?landing=notebook&storeName=accessories&category=notebook_hp&subcat1=home_servers&catLevel=1

Acer Aspire Easystore H340

http://us.acer.com/acer/productv.do?LanguageISOCtxParam=en&kcond61e.c2att101=54825&sp=page16e&ctx2.c2att1=25&link=ln438e&CountryISOCtxParam=US&ctx1g.c2att92=450&ctx1.att21k=1&CRC=936243954

Hope that helps....

-------------------------------------------------------

C4 media player and 9150 are essentially the same thing, you wouldn't need both those. You will need a NAS with either.

thanks. That clears it up, now come my other questions:

if I am watching a movie in my bedroom from the hard drive and my wife is in the family room can she watch a different movie from the same hard drive? Or do I need to have seperate media controllers?

Thanks in advance.

C4 media player and 9150 are essentially the same thing' date=' you wouldn't need both those. You will need a NAS with either.[/quote']

thanks. That clears it up, now come my other questions:

if I am watching a movie in my bedroom from the hard drive and my wife is in the family room can she watch a different movie from the same hard drive? Or do I need to have seperate media controllers?

Thanks in advance.

She can watch it from the same hard drive. You need one media playback device for each independent, simultaneous stream of video. (meaning Toy Story in the bedroom, True Lies in the theater requires one NAS, and two Netgear 9100s as example.)

Just bought a 9150, is anyone using DVD Fab to store their media? If yes, what format are you using?

THX

I use AnyDVD...sorry. I just rip mine as straight .VOB's, I figured that would give me the most flexibility down the road should I want to change anything.

I used to use DVDFab, great program... just stored things as ISOs, but I use XBMC to play the files so I dont know if the 9150 can handle them or not.

Thanks - the unit is delivered tomorrow and I am going to play with it in my office on a 42" before installing it into C4. I am converting the same movie a few different ways to see if I can tell a difference when I play them back on the 42".

Just a comment here- Media Player was removed last week and 9150 brought in yesterday. Awesome. Does everything on my to-do list. Same price, same hook-up, no problems getting up & running. High WAF for this move baby!

You're going to love it. The one and only complaint I have is that every 6 - 10 weeks I lose control of the device via SR-250 and have to power cycle it. Other than that, perfect. Maybe the latest firmware fixed that as well, I haven't had it happen in a while.

My 9150 gets installed next Wednesday. Can't wait!!!!

Anyone need a 777?

I kept mine and use it along side the EVA9150. It would take forever to ripp all 300+ of my DVD's to the NAS, so I just ripped the ones my kids watch all the time to the NAS. I left all my old DVD's in the changer....

Anyone need a 777?

I kept mine and use it along side the EVA9150. It would take forever to ripp all 300+ of my DVD's to the NAS' date=' so I just ripped the ones my kids watch all the time to the NAS. I left all my old DVD's in the changer....[/quote']

I plan on doing the same, but I currently have two 777's in my system (1 to many now) :-)

Anyone need a 777?

I kept mine and use it along side the EVA9150. It would take forever to ripp all 300+ of my DVD's to the NAS' date=' so I just ripped the ones my kids watch all the time to the NAS. I left all my old DVD's in the changer....[/quote']

I plan on doing the same, but I currently have two 777's in my system (1 to many now) :-)

Ah, I see. How much for the 777?

Just curious...

Just a comment here- Media Player was removed last week and 9150 brought in yesterday. Awesome. Does everything on my to-do list. Same price, same hook-up, no problems getting up & running. High WAF for this move baby!

...you talking about the C4 media player being removed, or some other player? :cool:

I just hooked up my C4 Media Player and have had some time to get used to it.

I think it works pretty well but with some pretty big misses - DVD menu's (or at least a bookmark function), Blu-ray ISO support and no Digital Coax output.

That said, one of the reasons I bought it is that my understanding is that the hardware is just as good, or better, than what's in the Netgear. They just need to update the firmware to really "unleash" it. Hopefully they see fit to do that...soon. For now I'm just streaming DVD (replacing the 777) so no big deal, but they really need to get the HD stuff nailed if they want this to take off.

Archived