C4 Forums | Control4

Chime Field of View

I've been contemplating switching out our dumb doorbell for a Chime.  The doorbell is mounted on a wall that is perpendicular to the front door.  The Chime documentation claims "nearly" 180-degree field of view.  I'm wondering whether we'll be able to see people approaching the front door, since people will be approaching the doorbell from the side rather than head-on.  What are people's experience with the Chime when it's installed in this position?

Thanks!

My experience is that the chime does have a very good field of view. Nearly 180 is probably correct.

They also have a 15 degree wedge kit which I've installed in a few situations like yours and that helps to some degree (well, 15 to be exact)

:)

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

My Chime is installed on my front porch, which is the full width of the house.  You can definitely see people coming from either direction, but of course, it's hard to identify them until they're close to the doorbell...

https://youtu.be/HnsVTqjU8xs

Here's a video showing Day and Night someone walking on the porch.

YouTube is downscaling the video a bit, it's sharper in the original, and this is a secondary stream going to an NVR, so it's not optimal, but it gives you a good idea of the field of view. 

RyanE

10 minutes ago, RyanE said:

My Chime is installed on my front porch, which is the full width of the house.  You can definitely see people coming from either direction, but of course, it's hard to identify them until they're close to the doorbell...

https://youtu.be/HnsVTqjU8xs

Here's a video showing Day and Night someone walking on the porch.

YouTube is downscaling the video a bit, it's sharper in the original, and this is a secondary stream going to an NVR, so it's not optimal, but it gives you a good idea of the field of view. 

RyanE

Thanks, that is very helpful. The field of view is terrific.

On 4/21/2024 at 2:19 PM, chopedogg88 said:

My experience is that the chime does have a very good field of view. Nearly 180 is probably correct.

They also have a 15 degree wedge kit which I've installed in a few situations like yours and that helps to some degree (well, 15 to be exact)

:)

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

How does the DoorBird field of view compare to the Chime?  I currently have a 1st generation Door Station.  Has anyone come up with a fabrication to flush mount the Chime within the DS rough in back box?