C4 Forums | Control4

iPAD!!

club411

So Adobe claims that Flash provides 75% of the video and 70% of the games on the web? Really? I'd like to see how they arrived at that number. The Adobe guy also says that iPad users won't be able to access web sites like Disney and ESPN without Flash. I just picked up my iPhone and went to both Disney.com and ESPN.com. I watched video of an NBA game on ESPN.com (played in Quicktime) and I played a game called "Autopia Traffic Jam" on the Disney site' date=' both without a hiccup.

I've used my iPhone for web surfing for a year and half now. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've gotten the lego Flash thing. So why would the iPad be any different?[/quote']

You were probably automatically directed to a mobile version of their sites, optimized for the iPhone.

So if they can do that for the iPhone, why can't it be done for the iPad? I actually almost always prefer the mobile versions of most sites because they're just about the bullet points without all the fluff.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ They can. It's all a matter of the useragent the device (it's web browser) presents to the site you're visiting. If the ipad useragent is in the sites list of mobile useragents then in theory it could be handled the same way.

A useragent is used by a website to taylor itself based on a browsers (read firefox, ie, etc) capabilities.

• 2 weeks later...

Control4 is also one of those 'adaptable' companies, IMHO. Just look at the changes coming with 2.0.. Savants CEO is spot on. It's a shame all his gear is so expensive ( and unavailable world wide) I think he was referring to the big boys. The Cresamx's of this world.

From TUAW:

Disney CEO calls iPad "a game changer"

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/02/10/disney-ceo-calls-ipad-a-game-changer/

I think he's dead on that this is going to open up a market that people haven't even tapped yet. Can you picture sitting on the couch watching a ballgame on the plasma with your iPad in your lap with in-game stats, interactive content, up to the minute fantasy stats, trash talking with your buds, etc...? And then when they add an iSight camera for video chat trash talking?

I think people that are upset with the iPad aren't getting what it really is. It's not for production (making spreadsheets), it's for consumption. And it will provide a whole new way to read books, read email, view web content, view pictures and videos. It's not a "tablet" like Microsoft tried to make, and that's the whole point. I don't want USB ports, keyboard, massive hard drive, etc...and that's the beauty of it.

^^^ it's a bigger iPod Touch... plain and simple. See post #131 (which is still hilarious I may add).

Yes, obviously right now it is an iPod Touch, how perceptive of you. It seems that everyone is trivializing it based on that. But if you can't understand what the added screen real estate can add to an iPod Touch, and if you think that can't/won't change the way we use a lot of these devices, and if you really believe that Apple has no further developments/advancements planned for the iPad, then you're really short-sighted.

As I said before, my wife has barely picked up her Windows laptop since I got her an iPhone (which she didn't want by the way). She reads all her email and does most all of her web browsing on her iPhone. She also uses a Kindle for hours upon hours a day. She will LOVE an iPad and I will sell her Windows laptop the day it arrives (heck, I should sell it now).

I'm a physician and would love to implement an electronic medical records program. But I don't want to sit at a desktop while I talk to my patients and I don't want a laptop in my lap while I talk to patients and I don't want a big slow Windows tablet with a stylus. I'll buy 3-4 iPads to run my web based EMR, and they'll probably make it into a specific iPad app for convenience.

The Hitler spoof was funny. It was funnier a year ago when it was dubbed with Tennessee/Florida football matchup material. If that's how you envision your technology applications, through YouTube spoofs, well then I doubt the iPad or any other technology is for you. Regardless, if you don't want "a bigger iPod Touch" then don't buy one.

Yes, obviously right now it is an iPod Touch, how perceptive of you. It seems that everyone is trivializing it based on that. But if you can't understand what the added screen real estate can add to an iPod Touch, and if you think that can't/won't change the way we use a lot of these devices, and if you really believe that Apple has no further developments/advancements planned for the iPad, then you're really short-sighted.

As I said before, my wife has barely picked up her Windows laptop since I got her an iPhone (which she didn't want by the way). She reads all her email and does most all of her web browsing on her iPhone. She also uses a Kindle for hours upon hours a day. She will LOVE an iPad and I will sell her Windows laptop the day it arrives (heck, I should sell it now).

I'm a physician and would love to implement an electronic medical records program. But I don't want to sit at a desktop while I talk to my patients and I don't want a laptop in my lap while I talk to patients and I don't want a big slow Windows tablet with a stylus. I'll buy 3-4 iPads to run my web based EMR, and they'll probably make it into a specific iPad app for convenience.

The Hitler spoof was funny. It was funnier a year ago when it was dubbed with Tennessee/Florida football matchup material. If that's how you envision your technology applications, through YouTube spoofs, well then I doubt the iPad or any other technology is for you. Regardless, if you don't want "a bigger iPod Touch" then don't buy one.

Sorry Doctor, to have offended you and your apple loving kind. If you actually read the thread you would see that I didn't actually post the youtube spoof, I was simply laughing at it (and rightfully so :lol: ).

I'm glad you understand that it is simply an iPod touch, for now. But to think that it will EVER be more than that... well... makes me glad that you are not MY doctor. Simple hardware limitations is what makes it an iPod touch (again... only bigger)... it will never be anything more than that.

Good luck with your fantasies of an apple tablet that runs your office for you (again, only one app at a time, NO multiple apps, remember that, for it is an important one).

One of my clients is a Dentist, my families Dentist I may add. I've put some very cool stuff in there, including live x-ray and multiple imaging monitors with networked access. In no way would I ever recommend that piece of crap (iPad) to carry around in his offices.

Good luck though :)

You're bashing the iPad and calling it a piece of crap because you're comparing it to a product category that it's clearly not in ("simple hardware limitations"). I assume you're comparing it to a desktop, laptop, netbook, or Windows tablet because that's all that's out there. From your post it sounds like you are an IT professional (putting "cool stuff" in your dentist's office). I'm even more surprised now that you have no vision for applications for the iPad. Clearly you have an axe to grind with Apple and perhaps that's blinding you. If you don't think doctors (and dentists) will be carrying iPads around, well, you may have to revisit that idea this year.

"Hospitals eye the iPad for low cost paperless records"

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/02/03/hospitals-eye-the-ipad-for-low-cost-paperless-records/

Here's an EMR program that already runs on iPhone OS, Android, Blackberry, etc...it should run right away on the iPad and you can view X-rays, images, echocardiography, etc...

http://www.liferecord.com/features/index.html

And BTW, I don't need multitasking to run my office. I need one app, my EMR app or Safari (many EMR's are web based now), that's it.

Clearly there will be no agreement between the two of us. You have an agenda. I (and a lot of other people) have a need for a better and different product. Let's do this. Let's take a moment and just commemorate this statement "simple hardware limitations is what makes it an iPod touch (again... only bigger)... it will never be anything more than that." I like that statement. Let's keep in touch and review that one in a year or two after launch. For your statement to hold true, you'll have to significantly change your definition of an iPod Touch.

My only question for you (and all the Apple haters out there). Why the hate? I've used Windows products for 20 years, and now I prefer Apple, but I've never felt the urge to go bash Windows products. I even bought a Windows UMPC (what I thought was going to be my tablet/mini computer dream) and spent $1000 and it was awful. So I paid $400 more for something that was by all accounts legitimately a piece of crap. But I never went on message boards to call it "a piece of crap". So, serious question, why the harsh attitude?

In closing, I too am glad I am not your doctor, but I'm even more glad I'm not your customer.

LOL @ well_armed!

And you are right, I just like bashing apple. The video was funny and that's really all I said until you jumped in :)

So I guess I'm now officially out of the closet as an 'Apple Hater'.

Oh and I'm sure you're a great doctor, that was just a poke in the ribs for being an Apple fan :D

Archived