C4 Forums | Control4

iPAD!!

club411

As for touchscreens for C4' date=' unless 2.0 somehow makes the ControlUI C4 app non-functional, I honestly can't see why anyone would ever buy a C4 touchscreen again. Why pay more for a TS that can only do C4 when you can have one that is an eReader, web surfer, plays games, runs apps, etc...I actually question whether the C4 app store will get any traction. Those apps will have to improve the functionality of my C4 system and I'm just not sure how many of those there will be. But I could be way off base on that, I don't know what they have planned.[/quote']

For a tabletop or portable, yes, but I'm not going to stand someplace and read a novel or surf C4 central on a screen in my wall. I could see this being beneficial in the Kitchen, for example. If they could make some kind of cover for it that's like the stuff in the medical industry to keep all the samonella, etc. off and easy to clean.

What about a flip down mount from under a cabinet? Then you could push it up out of the way when not in use, then flip it down, check the weather, use it as a C4 controller. Just a thought.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I've always dreamed of scanning my food into and out of the refer. Ranks right up there with watching the weather radar while shaving. One thing I will agree with Jackson on is medical records. I continually hear complaints about how distracting it is to be inputing notation while listening to the patient. The only thing that currently is done 100% digitally, in our offices, is dictations and xrays.

Yes, I've always dreamed of scanning my food into and out of the refer. Ranks right up there with watching the weather radar while shaving. One thing I will agree with Jackson on is medical records. I continually hear complaints about how distracting it is to be inputing notation while listening to the patient. The only thing that currently is done 100% digitally, in our offices, is dictations and xrays.

I think you were being sarcastic about the fridge and the weather. If so, what I meant with the fridge was, "Hey honey, we're running out of mayo." [hold mayo jar up to camera and it's automatically added to the next grocery order] Not scanning it in and out every time you use it. Have you seen the Redlaser app for iPhone? It's pretty cool, you can use the camera to scan any barcode and it will automatically pull up a list of places and prices for you to compare and even take you to that vendor's web page for that product so you can order it.

I have a Chumby sitting in the window above the kitchen sink. So every time I go to wash my hands or rinse a cup, I can see the weather forecast for the next few days (and yes the radar too) or whatever I'd like to have on there. My wife and I enjoy it. And I think having a Sony Dash in the bathroom showing today's weather would be really useful for getting dressed in the morning or planning your weekend.

EMR's need to integrate seamlessly into medicine for them to be a success. They shouldn't interfere with the doctor-patient relationship, they should enhance it. And they should be more than dumb digital storage. They should assist physicians by pulling out key data and helping identify trends. There's some really cool work that could be done here.

You're dead on. Flash is a bloated, buggy piece of junk. All the PC guys keep asking for it, but Flash is not the future, I WANT flash to die. This app-based system on the iPhone OS and Android OS is the future.
You can see that in the Sony Dash that's coming running the Chumby platform.

What does the Chumby platform run on?

That's right... *FLASH*.

:)

RyanE

You're dead on. Flash is a bloated' date=' buggy piece of junk. All the PC guys keep asking for it, but Flash is not the future, I WANT flash to die. This app-based system on the iPhone OS and Android OS is the future.[/quote']
You can see that in the Sony Dash that's coming running the Chumby platform.

What does the Chumby platform run on?

That's right... *FLASH*.

:)

RyanE

You are correct. :) My point about the Chumby was the design/presentation, not necessarily what it was running. If iPhone OS can run those same types of widgets as "apps" then why do we need Flash hogging memory? I guess I don't understand why people are attached to Flash.

Maybe someone can perfrom the drop-test on a 7"and Apple thing and get back to us with the results. For as much as a bang the 7"WiFi, it seems to built with durability in mind. Can anyone tell me where final assembly on the 7"is done? How about the Apple tablet?

I had dropped my Fujitsu TabletPC down a flight of stairs and it survived, I wouldn't expect the iPad to take to many tumbules.

FWIW, I actually dropped my aluminum body 17" MacBook Pro out of its case onto the concrete garage floor and it landed square on one corner. It flattened that corner (from round to a flat edge) and that was it. I think my plastic Dell would have at least cracked if not shattered.

My point is, Flash can run on a variety of devices. It can still make a valuable contribution, vs. writing custom apps for each of iPhone / Blackberry / Android.

I personally think Apple doesn't want Flash on the unit, because then they wouldn't have control over apps. They make a load of money with the app store, with Flash apps, some of that money goes elsewhere.

That is all.

RyanE

My point is, Flash can run on a variety of devices. It can still make a valuable contribution, vs. writing custom apps for each of iPhone / Blackberry / Android.

I personally think Apple doesn't want Flash on the unit, because then they wouldn't have control over apps. They make a load of money with the app store, with Flash apps, some of that money goes elsewhere.

That is all.

RyanE

BINGO!!!

I think everyone is still missing a role for the ipad in a C4 system. As an AppleTV. Sit it in a cradle next to the main TV. Walk up and select your movies and stream movies/video/photo's etc (aka appleTV) onto the HDTV. Then Control everything as your standing there...select inputs/lights/turn off music whatever with the C4 app on the ipad....

Go back and sit on the couch and "tweek" with the SR250....

Or if you can run a cable from the coffee table back to the TV...do it all from the couch..

And sooner or later they'll have an IR input into a cradle that will be able to control the ipad anyway...or a 2way driver for the thing...

It's got external video out/enough grunt..oh and a SILENT 60G solid state drive...perfect for the home cinema room...:)

FWIW I have the Ipod touch and a new 7" touch screen. I still find the connection time for the Ipod touch too long for everyday usage, and the fact the WiFi connection gets dropped by the Ipod after XX minutes. My wife refuses to use the Ipod. Unless Apple has changed the Wifi setup (and I doubt they have) the Ipad will not come close to replacing the 7".

Just my thoughts, from a house that does not have a lot of techincal ability....

Spooner.

That is all.

RyanE

I hear you. And you certainly have a point. I don't disagree with what you said.

However, I have 2 questions.

1) Why does everyone assume that Apple's intentions with something like this are always evil/greed? What if they truly believe (and could be correct) that there are better ways of doing things than the old way and that's why they refuse to integrate Flash?

2) If Apple's App Store was your (obviously brilliant) idea and it made unbelievable amounts of money and was wildly successful the way it is without Flash, would you include it?

Apple may be the evil empire just like Microsoft was years ago, who knows. I call it capitalism and building your product the way you want it to be. If Apple doesn't want Flash in there, then they must have a reason. Maybe it's because they believe it's an inferior component. Maybe because it's because they want to get rich and rule the world.

But you said this last month in response to people complaining about some of C4's decisions: "Unfortunately, for you to get to decide those things, *YOU* need to start the company and then you get to make the big decisions. Control4 is run by some extremely smart people. They're well aware of the tradeoffs of the current product offering, and IMHO will continue making the decisions that are best for the company."

I would say the same about Apple and the iPhone/iPad and Flash. The iPhone OS has been unbelievably successful and they've done it without Flash, so I guess they're onto something.

^ There's a definite side to this as well. By keeping flash off the device they keep complete control and guarantee the operating integrity of the device ... for your benefit.

However, by locking down the device Apple control's it, your destiny, and the transactions necessary to make the app store successful :cool:

But they have a problem without flash... How can they claim the ipad is such a wonderful device for surfing the web... There are going to be lots of complaints when all those imbedded flash dependant apps don't load from the web page...:/

perhaps they just need to write in a specific flash for safari..

1) Why does everyone assume that Apple's intentions with something like this are always evil/greed? What if they truly believe (and could be correct) that there are better ways of doing things than the old way and that's why they refuse to integrate Flash?

Because they've always had a strict ecosystem of doing things their own way and not playing nice with others. IE: The iTunes Store/App Store - see any good downloads for browsers other than Safari? How's that Palm Pre syncing to iTunes for you? I bet you're loving the new Blu-ray drive in your Mac.

2) If Apple's App Store was your (obviously brilliant) idea and it made unbelievable amounts of money and was wildly successful the way it is without Flash, would you include it?

The app store has nothing to do with it, but the fact that loads of content on the Internet uses flash. Yes, HTML5 is the new sexy, but how long will it take before that's a viable replacement? You can't make a *superior* web browsing tool today without it being able to display content.

In regards of them being able to sell millions of something, it wasn't long ago that they couldn't sell a thing, until the iMac, iPod, and iPhone. If you make it simple and "sexy" people will buy - regardless if that $600 cell phone launches without Flash, 3G, MMS, correct Exchange synchronization, etc. etc. It's a status symbol. Their whole culture is about being "holier than thou". They *do* have some good products and ideas but it just gets tiring.

* This is all my personal opinion and does not reflect those of my employer, Control4, etc.

I'm not arguing that Apple *has* to include flash, or that it's in their best interest financially to do so.

Just saying as others are that Flash is currently an important part of web browsing experience, and this iPad is worse off without it.

RyanE

Archived