C4 Forums | Control4

Books Open: Control4 OS 2.0 Software Release!!!!!!!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a iPad user and honestly I don't think C4 did anything wrong by going Flash. I think its a great move. Lets face it most of the online providers are supporting that format with the new flash Netflix Hulu etc etc etc.

The fact Apple don't support flash is their own foolish or even smart idea. They have to push quicktime and for them to do that they can't have flash lying around could they ;) Yeah I am p1ssed that I can't use the 4store apps on the iPad but at the same time why would I they nothing special in anycase. As long as I can do most of the features I am happy. From a C4 commercial perspective they have to find a way to sell those useless 7" devices otherwise they could close that business down to the iPad full stop....

On the topic of streaming video to your iPad from your C4 well we know they would never do that something still needs to do the streaming or converting ..... so what I am using for home and it really works well is AirVideo its an app for the iPhone and iPad and uses your "server" i.e. windows machine ;) to stream any videos over your network to your iPhone or iPad works awesome. I have a proper HP server at home and I stream with live conversion (cause I use .mkv files) 1080p blu ray movies to the ipad and works GREAT! I wouldn't recommend doing the same with a slower machine ;)

Which of the apps do you really wish you could use on an ipad? The $8 app that allows you to browse your netflix queue which is free if you switch over to a native iPad app?

I agree that the potential is there for some really unique and special apps, but I'll reserve my disappointment for the lack of support until there's an app that's unavailable on the ipad. With the cost diference between the iPad and a C4 touchscreen I can buy duplicates of a lot of apps for the iPad. Different interface, yes, but it also doesn't use the processing power of the controller which in my mind is a benefit of going outside of the C4 ecosystem.

+1. Lets also hope the app store is also used by C4 driver developers to speed up the production and release of drivers for gear like media players, IP enabled TV's and the like. :P

This is complete and utter nonsense. Apple holds no copyrights over objective-c.

you are right there. but i still think this entire thread is null since the flash nav was at least a year into development before even the iphone came out, so that makes it years before the ipad. not a secure financial strategy to ditch years of development to support 2 devices.

If an app requires a driver (like the B&D lock app) and that driver is not loaded in your project - then you the consumer/user can not purchase the B&D App from the 4store. The driver needs to be added by your dealer prior to purchasing the app with a driver dependency.

This all said, driver development is not included in the app store dev license. This essentially means, dealers and 3rd party equipment partners are the only ones who can create new drivers and marry them to a custom interface - Think Black and Decker locks. The rest of the developers for the C4 4store ecosystem are restricted to front like development for 4store - think the 2.0 Weather app.

Make sense ?

Sorry if this question was asked/answered previously, but will the new app store sell device drivers to consumers and/or/only dealers? Will only dealers be able to purchase drivers (so will the app store have a "dealers" section?). Thanks.

Currently, there is no way through the 4Store to install a driver into a project. This may or may not exist in the future, as some apps depend on a driver, even if they're not hardware-specific drivers (i.e. Drivers may be used to store data, or coordinate between apps running on different navigator devices, etc.).

There is nothing keeping a 4Store developer from creating drivers, other than not having the SDK info, it's just much more common for partners to get involved with the Driver SDK (DriverWorks) than it would be for an app developer (as partners have specific devices to create drivers for).

Driver development requires a different agreement from the 4Store developer agreement, and as mentioned, is not included as part of the 4Store developer agreement.

That said, App developers can certainly create apps that *use* existing drivers, i.e. an app that works better to control a particular device through it's driver, that ability is certainly included as part of the 4Store developer agreement.

RyanE

There is nothing keeping a 4Store developer from creating drivers, other than not having the SDK info, it's just much more common for partners to get involved with the Driver SDK (DriverWorks) than it would be for an app developer (as partners have specific devices to create drivers for).

Driver development requires a different agreement from the 4Store developer agreement, and as mentioned, is not included as part of the 4Store developer agreement.

RyanE

Thanks Ryan. That's good info and certainly is a major clarification, at least for me. So I guess by looking at your wording that would be the standard "Partner" agreement that is used by folks like Denon, Integra, etc ? Is this agreement available to non-OEM's ?

I think the definition of partner is fairly loose, where you wouldn't necessarily have to have a *product* per se, but the majority of Control4 partners do have a product (or sometimes service) they integrate with Control4.

I would imagine it would be handled on a case-by-case basis per application.

RyanE

Archived