C4 Forums | Control4

Is Control4 reliable?

roads

I have been pondering using Control4 in my new house and like much of what I see so far. However, I called a custom integrator today who does both Control4 and Crestron and he tells me that Control4 is OK but not that reliable when compared to Crestron. I asked him what he meant and he said that Control4 will tend to hang up or have devices drop off and then needs to be reset. What is the experience of people here in the forum? I am pretty techie so don't mind a little fiddling but I don't want something that is going to irritate my wife when I am away traveling. I know Control4 is cheaper than Crestron and probably more user modifiable - both things I like - but I would like replies to focus strictly on the reliability aspect of the system if possible.

well, I am a relatively new user of c4 - just had my system installed last week, and from what I can tell you, the system is pretty solid. I dont consider myself a techie at all, but in a week have only had the system hang one time, and it came down to resetting the HC-300 and all fixed.

From my knowledge the const associated with Crestron are significantly more than c4, and I think the user interfaces are a lot more friendly then some of the other providers around.

All in all - love the system - and if I have one recomendation - get the IPAD and IPAD app license, its pretty damn sweet!

I have had mine for more than a year now and it's been great. Not to say that I haven't had issues but I am techie too and keep messing around with it as much as possible. Most of the issues are related to what I do or did. By itself, I have never had problems.

I have a large house, 8000 sq. ft. and I did find that when I first added C4, some of the switches had trouble communicating with each other because of the distance. I didn't have any hops in between. I have since added a few more switches and had absolutely no issues.

To lower your costs further, use a 3rd party contractor to do the installs - wiring, ce equipment, etc and then bring in a C4 dealer to hook it all up. You can do all the programming yourself with Composer HE too. I didn't do this the first time but I do now. Some dealers will not entertain this, some will. Find the right one.

Lighting issue with C4: http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=6165

I believe this happens with any automation system but it doesn't hurt to check.

I've used Control 4 in my home for lighting, as well as audio and video distribution. I have NEVER had a device just fall off as this person described. I have never had a system crash out anything in all that time either. I would instal it again today, and I would recommend it to anybody.

my 2 systems have never been 100% reliable but its usually pretty easy to get things going again if there's a problem. i'm on my 2nd home with control4 so I still enjoy it despite its issues.

tum

My c4 home system of 5 years has been solid. I had 1 short downtime couple years ago but insignificant to remember...i've also never heard a crestron owner having 100% history reliability either.

John

I am running on 3 years now and have never had a C4 issue. My only issues have been bad wiring during the install (all wires were run/cut for specific lengths and a couple had bad ends, but the installer fixed within a day or so).

I would use C4 again and plan on adding equipment when I finish my basement.

I am not a techie. I've had my system for 2 years and have never "lost" a device or a switch. I've never rebooted my HC-500. I would do it all again today.

My gut from being on this forum for a few years is that the most important piece of the C4 install is the dealer. The gear is solid, it's the dude that programs it and installs it that can be iffy.

Hope that helps.

:P

Creston will run you more dollars $.

C4 is strong and reliable and you can start small and grow as you desire.

I have not had any problems, just have a strong home network in place, and you are golden.

Your wife will be mad and frustrated at you when you are on away, no matter which system you choose.

I have four Control 4 interfaces throughout the house and my wife still try's to use the lights the old fashioned way by pushing them..

It took my wife a little while, but she is completely used to it now. She actually turned on a lighting scene via SR-250 last night, which blew my mind.

She has been comfortable with the audio/video from the get go, but the lighting and 6-button keypads have taken more time for her to get used to.

It has been almost 5 years, and for about 2 of those we've had most the lighting done. She is just now warming up to the 6button keypads that are in wall.

I'm a bit biased, especially since I work for the company, but Control4 systems can be made very reliable, if the installation follows a few rules:

* UPS on controllers

* Good (Business Class) routers and switches

* Good Internet access (for Rhapsody, etc.)

There have been a few things that cause issues with properly-setup systems (i.e. power supply issues with the HC-200's being the latest culprit), but those sorts of issues are few and far between.

My system is stable, even though I tweak it on a regular basis, and add half-developed drivers and other no-no's...

RyanE

I agree with Ryan, as a dealer and user of the systems they are only as they are designed and installed

The three points that Ryan made (UPS's, Good Network Equip (we use Cisco Business Gear) and Good Internet Connection) are imparative.

We are currently installing a project that has over 300 Zigbee devices (Lighting-250 nodes, Locks-20 Nodes, Etc), most of the zigbee is installed and is rock solid, as is the Audio and Video Distribution, and touch panels.

The only thing I will add to Ryans comments is that if the project has over 40 or so zigbee devices I would recommend an HC-1000 as your master controller

Archie

Great, very useful commentary. My C4 controller would be connected via ethernet but everything else would be wireless. My Wireless network is currently a latest generation Apple Airport Extreme with dual radios. Have people had good luck with that kind of wireless network or are most people going business class?

In my house everything that CAN be wired, is wired. Wired is ALWAYS better than wireless.

Actually, I currently don't have ANY C4 gear connected via WiFi after I got rid of my V1 10.5 inch touchpanels. The only thing at my house that uses WiFi is my laptop and cell phones.

The only devices I have with Wifi are my 7", Ipad and Ipod. Every since the last firmware update and my dealer put in a fixed IP add. the 7" has been very stable. In hindsight I would not have bought the 7", but I didn't know about the Ipad then.

I run an Airport for my wifi.

No complaints here....

DS

The only thing more reliable than C4 is chuck norris. LOL sorry some other post got me on a chuck norris kick. i would have to say that C4 if installed and programmed properly is one of the most reliable out there. i have been integrating C4 and running it my house since the product first shipped. I wouldn't have it any other way!

Archived