C4 Forums | Control4

List of must have scenes or programmed buttons

ifloss2x

We're nearing the end of my install that has expanded since the start. System consists of:

Lighting automation - whole house (128 switch/dimmers/3/6 button key pads.

A/v in all living areas - 4 tvs/receiver/blu ray/roku/satellite

Garage doors/ electronic locks/ security

Whole house audio : Ipod dock/rhapsody and secondary Zon audio system that can be controlled with C4

Ipad, 2 itouches, iphone, 4 250 remotes and a 10.5 inch screen

4 HVAC controls

Installer wants to know what kind of scenes I want programmed and what I want the multiple button key pads to control.

Here's my question:

What are your favorite scenes and what are your favorite and must have programmed buttons?

I'll tell you what *I* have programmed, your mileage may vary.

All my 6-button keypads work the same way:

The 3 buttons on the left show the lighting percentage used by floor in the house (I'm in a two-story with a basement). There is a really easy way to do this, with the Light Usage Agent driver I've written. It shows a color (green / yellow / orange / red) on the button based on the % of lights that are on for that floor, and a single button press turns off all the lights on that floor, a double-press restores them (if you did a boo-boo). With the driver, there is virtually no programming to set it up.

The two on the right top are my two garage doors. RED if the door is open, OFF if the doors are closed. As my garage doors face away from the front of the house, I have programming so that when both doors are closed, my porch 'carriage' lights turn on, and ramp off over 1 minute. This way, I can verify that the doors are closed as I drive away.

The bottom right button toggles the 'Auto Lights' functionality. It turns on automatically at night, and off early in the morning. It's GREEN if 'Auto Lights' is on, OFF if not. When Auto Lights is on, as you walk around, as motion sensors go off, it ramps the lights up to predefined levels. This is quite a bit of programming, and something you could easily do with ComposerHE, if your dealer is amenable to that sort of thing.

RyanE

Yep, I agree, All Off is the most useful of them all.

have this at all exit points and near your bedroom.

I also have the 'all off' button turn the alarm on with an extra click - very handy as I don't always want the alarm set when turning the house off.

something you could easily do with ComposerHE, if your dealer is amenable to that sort of thing.

I'm confused by that. It can be done by the owner with ComposerHE, why does it matter whether the dealer is amenable?

BTW, I like the way you've set up the 6 button. I have an unused position in the master bedroom (currently filled with a blank) and a spare 6 button laying around. it would be perfect for a last minute check before going to sleep. I just need some more dimmers, switches and some sensors for the garages.

something you could easily do with ComposerHE' date=' if your dealer is amenable to that sort of thing.[/quote']

I'm confused by that. It can be done by the owner with ComposerHE, why does it matter whether the dealer is amenable?

I would not want to be responsible for a system that the customer can change and break.

something you could easily do with ComposerHE' date=' if your dealer is amenable to that sort of thing.[/quote']

I would not want to be responsible for a system that the customer can change and break.

Okay, I can understand that, but owners don't have to ask their dealer's *permission* before they use ComposerHE to program actions, so I don't understand the "if your dealer is amenable" part.

If I did have to ask permission, I'd have some slightly used equipment for sale, because that was a major selling point.

Why not, if they break it they have to pay you to fix it. My dealer keeps a backup everytime he comes, if i break something he can just restore it (which hasnt happened, yet)

This is exactly why I said if the dealer was amenable.

It's up to the dealer to say whether they will continue to support your system if you use ComposerHE.

Some are not interested in that, most I would imagine would not mind at all. It's up to the dealer, and the dealer is typically where the homeowner gets the software.

Sure, you can always buy HE from a different dealer and do all the customization you want, but if your dealer doesn't support it, that's something to consider.

Not all customers are experts like typically come on here. If I *were* a dealer who had a customer who used HE, I'd be sure and keep extra backups for their project... :)

RyanE

Don't you need a dealer to get it INTO your project before you can do anything at all? Shoot, if you can find a dealer that is willing to install gear you bought somewhere else, more power to ye.

+1 on Barry White button. Would be awesomer if you had fireplace control too though.

It's up to the dealer to say whether they will continue to support your system if you use ComposerHE.

That just seems beyond weird to me. ComposerHE is a Control4 product designed for use by the owner. I'm not suggesting the dealer has to fix my programming, at least not for free, but to refuse to support the system because I used a Control4 product in the manner it was intended would be ridiculous. It would certainly insure that dealer never got any more business or recommendations from me.

wow. this dealer/diy topic just never ends. some c4 dealers want c4 to be crestron, while some users want c4 to be diy. LOL...

I don't consider this a dealer vs DIY question. As I say above, it's about the idea a dealer would refuse to support a system after an owner used a Control4 product in exactly the way it was intended -- that isn't DIY, it's a standard feature of Control4 systems.

But no point in beating this dead horse further.

And to add with the double tap off for a basement. I program the whole basement off except the stairs and then the stair light to turn off 15 seconds later. Gives me time to walk up and open the door. I love my double tap whole room offs. We use the master one probably 10 times a day. My vanity switch is in a weird place so it's just easier to do the double tap on the way out.

Archived