C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 MyHome announcement

I am quite disappointed in the security model control4 has right now. At least they added encrypted / SSL communications to the controller' date=' but this isn't good enough. They need user level access and control what the user has access to.[/quote']

This is why Control4 doesn't advocate accessing your system by port-forwarding your Director box outside the local network, and has provided 4Sight, which can securely access your system remotely.

RyanE

Ryan, Is there a solution for the iphone app to allow 3g home access in the works, or should I look at a VPN solution?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a vpn solution with a Cisco ASA510. They have a top notch VPN client, cisco AnyConnect.

As far as 4sight. It uses openvpn to connect back to control 4 and they probably use a reverse ssh tunnel to get into your box. It is secure but I do have one question from control4. What is to prevent someone working in control4 from using ssh to get into the box and then onto my network. That doesn't seem so secure. I am almost tempted to put the control4 unit in a dmz away from the rest of my network.

• 9 months later...

I have done VPNs for many years, but I have always found the Linksys / Cisco implementation of IPSEC to be immensely confusing. Their QuickVPN (Windows only) client is meant to alleviate some of the complexity but I have found it quite flaky in the past. Admittedly I have not tried it for a couple of years.

I have the most success with using a separate box for a VPN server. You want to run a PPTP VPN server (older and in theory less secure but reliable) or L2TP VPN server. Both L2TP and PPTP have native support in the iPhone. For the server, the simplest solution I have ever come across is iVPN which runs on Macs and costs 15 pounds. Incredibly easy to setup and use and absolutely reliable. You could also repurpose an old wireless router e.g. an older Linksys and hack the firmware to add VPN support (more effort required). Or I am sure there is an equivalent Windows program to iVPN that you could run on a PC.

I am happy to give some specifics on a setup once you choose the VPN solutiion. But I counsel stay away from the native Cisco / Linksys VPN setup.

See my post above. You need another router or Mac/PC acting as a VPN server. Your Airport Extreme will need a setting to map the necessary VPN traffic ports to the IP address of the VPN server. The Airport Extreme does not have built-in VPN abilities (other than traffic pass through) to my knowledge.

Does anyone know how to set up a VPN with a an Airport Extreme?

Archived