C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 MyHome announcement

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How does this affect existing iPhone licensing, currently in use, and on 1.7.4? You know the one that we once paid $299 for a single license??

You still get to enjoy it just as before?

That would be my guess....early adopters almost always pay a premium...

Think of it this way. The current "device" license is still for sale at $99 plus install. If you're planning on adding just a device or two you may be motivated to buy the legacy license now before the price goes up to $199.

As indicated here: http://c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=7608

The legacy "device" license equivilent to the "new" device license when the new licensing change happens.

That said, you may say the "device" license is on sale right now !

How does this affect existing iPhone licensing' date=' currently in use, and on 1.7.4? You know the one that we once paid $299 for a single license??[/quote']

You still get to enjoy it just as before?

Yes, does not impact anything already in use.

Think of it this way. The current "device" license is still for sale at $99 plus install. If you're planning on adding just a device or two you may be motivated to buy the legacy license now before the price goes up to $199.

The legacy "device" license equivilent to the "new" device license when the new licensing change happens.

That said, you may say the "device" license is on sale right now !

Wait...do I read this correctly: I can buy an iPad or iPhone license now for $99 and it is a perpetual license? But if I wait a week or two it's going to cost me $199?

And it's the same app?

Wow. I'll keep the snark to myself.

To be fair - the current $99 price tag does not include installation. I believe the going rate with install is around $149. So the difference to step up to the site license would be $200 to future proof your install for additional devices. Not a bad deal considering the existing model.

Personal editorial follows:

If you already own the device and paid let's say $199 for an iPhone4, the value proposition to use it with your C4 install for an additional $199 just does not seem to be there.

My sense would be to increase adoption of the Control4 technology as a whole and give it away if you already own the "personal" hardware. In a sense the "i" devices are personal devices and don't carry the same value weight as let's say an OSD or touch panel.

It could be a significant lead generator in the hospitality arena too. Eg. Stay at C4 enabled hotel suite and use your own "i" device to control your environment during your stay. No slippage in terms of remotes walking way either. You like the experience and go home and contact a local installer to set your home up.

IMHO, the marketers at Control4 need to come up to speed and stop thinking so short term.

It could be a significant lead generator in the hospitality arena too. Eg. Stay at C4 enabled hotel suite and use your own "i" device to control your environment during your stay. No slippage in terms of remotes walking way either. You like the experience and go home and contact a local installer to set your home up.

IMHO, the marketers at Control4 need to come up to speed and stop thinking so short term.

I agree, that could be very cool.

The $499 for the "site", if that includes installation, is fair in my book. Especially if it truly does expand to EVERY device that can run Adobe AIR. Yesterday at CES looking at the Samsung TV's running all those apps, it seems that one of those apps could easily be the GUI! If you could use the Samsung setup menu and customize a button on the Samsung remote to launch an app, the you could map that button to the "4" button on your remote control and you have a GUI without a controller! Factor than in a couple of times, plus your wifes and the kids phones, your iPad/iPad, your PC's and Laptop's, etc....$499 isn't bad.

Hopefully every device won't have to be identified by a dealer in Composer Pro. Hopefully you can just launch the app, enter your my.control4.com login info and you're off to the races.

Looks good to me.

That said, I agree with dgbrown. It seems as though they do need to look at the bigger picture and stop the short term thinking. It is making them look like they aren't sure about what they're doing. I think it creates a lot of skeptics.

Factor than in a couple of times, plus your wifes and the kids phones, your iPad/iPad, your PC's and Laptop's, etc....$499 isn't bad.

Except for the many people in my position -- Version < 2.0 running on HC-300. Since today I could have put it on a couple of iPads/iPhones for $200-300, installed, $500 for those same two devices isn't such a good deal. If I could run it on my laptops, it still wouldn't be *great* deal but I'd probably do it.

But as it is, I'd have to pay for the 2.x upgrade and then deal with the HC-300 being underpowered for that OS and needing to upgrade it. Suddenly we're talking $1200 or so, right? Not gonna happen.

That's not a good deal and bumping up the single device price to $200 now makes it something I'm not likely to bother with. At that price a threshold has been crossed and rather than spend that much on some Control4 toy that I don't particularly need, I'd rather just go out to nice dinner. Obviously there's not such literal tradeoff -- I wouldn't forego a dinner out if I bought it, nor would I go out for an extra dinner if didn't. It's more the principle -- at $200, it's "Nah, not interested, not worth that to me. Thanks anyway."

Factor than in a couple of times' date=' plus your wifes and the kids phones, your iPad/iPad, your PC's and Laptop's, etc....$499 isn't bad.[/quote']

Except for the many people in my position -- Version < 2.0 running on HC-300. Since today I could have put it on a couple of iPads/iPhones for $200-300, installed, $500 for those same two devices isn't such a good deal. If I could run it on my laptops, it still wouldn't be *great* deal but I'd probably do it.

But as it is, I'd have to pay for the 2.x upgrade and then deal with the HC-300 being underpowered for that OS and needing to upgrade it. Suddenly we're talking $1200 or so, right? Not gonna happen.

That's not a good deal and bumping up the single device price to $200 now makes it something I'm not likely to bother with. At that price a threshold has been crossed and rather than spend that much on some Control4 toy that I don't particularly need, I'd rather just go out to nice dinner. Obviously there's not such literal tradeoff -- I wouldn't forego a dinner out if I bought it, nor would I go out for an extra dinner if didn't. It's more the principle -- at $200, it's "Nah, not interested, not worth that to me. Thanks anyway."

I get it. Why don't you call your dealer and buy a couple of iPhone licenses at the $99 price point? Being that this other thing isn't available yet, I'd imagine those still are.

Hopefully every device won't have to be identified by a dealer in Composer Pro. Hopefully you can just launch the app, enter your my.control4.com login info and you're off to the races.

Your dealer will still have to load a driver and identify it with the new product, every time a customer wants to add one of these to their project.

Hopefully every device won't have to be identified by a dealer in Composer Pro. Hopefully you can just launch the app' date=' enter your my.control4.com login info and you're off to the races.[/quote']

Your dealer will still have to load a driver and identify it with the new product, every time a customer wants to add one of these to their project.

Lame.

Hopefully every device won't have to be identified by a dealer in Composer Pro. Hopefully you can just launch the app' date=' enter your my.control4.com login info and you're off to the races.[/quote']

Lame.

+1.

So the $499 isn't where it stops. Every time I add or remove a device it is going to cost me more? Are you kidding me?

This isn't horrific news, but it would have been nice to have known about this in May when I bought my original iPhone and iPad license. Again, as we've already said, the cost of being a somewhat early adopter.

That being said, my home is a Apple/iOS place. We have several Macs and PC's, as well as a handful of iOS devices. The plan for my current iPad was to become a dedicated Control4 remote when the new iPad comes out in the spring, and I'll still want Control4 on the new iPad. So as of this second, I probably want Control4 on 6 more devices in my house. I foresee wanting it on another few devices within the next 6 months, soooooo, I'll probably bite the bullet and spend $499.

And I understand this doesn't include installation, but if it's like most things, I'll shoot my dealer/programmer an email, they'll call, and 15 minutes later it'll all be working. I'm guessing I spend less than $50 to get it installed everywhere in my house.

Now, what I'd like to see from Control4 is iOS software that isn't 2nd best in comparison to their own equipment solely because it doesn't run Flash.

Archived